• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adivse with Baby IRN

Blue & Spud

Walking the driveway
Real Name
amanda
So cute :) I want a couple of ringnecks so bad, I want a white and a blue one :)

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Elaine
Awwww what a cute little bub.

Zuzu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chantel
As far as I know the blue ones are mutations , rear and really expencive. We don't get them here :-( even the yellow and white ones here is like 4 times the price of a green one. But would have loved a blue one aswell.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Just stumbled on to this thread...Zuzu is adorable! You've gotten excellent advice with feeding, etc. Reminds me of Titan-24 years ago. The breeder was working at a local pet store, and hand-feeding a clutch that included our little green guy.

As a result of his hand-feeding, Titan became very comfortable being around people, although he doesn't really like being touched. (typical IRN) He does like to hang out with us on our shoulder, and would be perfectly content to spend his whole day like that.
All I can say is try to interact with him now as much as possible while he's a young bub- talk and sing to him. Give him a chance to meet different people, if you can. Get him interested in toys, etc. The time you invest in him now will be rewarded to you in having a wonderful companion for years to come...:)

Zuzu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chantel
I am trying to do exactly that, although I have realized that in the last 2 days he kinds of get a fright if you suddenly move something towards him ie, hand, napkins ect. I take it this is normal and it's just because he is becoming more aware of the area around him, I just keep doing what I was while reassuring him and then keep on repeating the action until he seems to be interested and not frighten anymore.
He gets really excited at feeding times and flutter his wings while he eats, couldn't believe this as he will only be 4 weeks tomorrow. He started to cling on my one finger so I had him perch on it while I cup my hand around him, he quickly got some balance, last night I introduced a stick to perch him but only 1mm away from the table, he is a real clever little one, but loves my hands more than anything, will make noise until I cup him in my hands close to my body...LOL.....Enjoying him very much.

Blue & Spud

Walking the driveway
Real Name
amanda
We were looking at a petshop today and they had about 4 blue & violet IRN's for $80 that's cheap even for here. They also had Alex's for $240 which is also very cheap for here. So I decided I like this pet shop lol

Zuzu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chantel
I woyld also like that pet shop...lol

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Titan's breeder wore a lot of rings on her fingers. I think the flashes from the rings also attracted his attention to her hands. Like I said, Titan was very comfortable with people when he came to live with us.
I am trying to do exactly that, although I have realized that in the last 2 days he kinds of get a fright if you suddenly move something towards him ie, hand, napkins ect. I take it this is normal and it's just because he is becoming more aware of the area around him, I just keep doing what I was while reassuring him and then keep on repeating the action until he seems to be interested and not frighten anymore.
He gets really excited at feeding times and flutter his wings while he eats, couldn't believe this as he will only be 4 weeks tomorrow. He started to cling on my one finger so I had him perch on it while I cup my hand around him, he quickly got some balance, last night I introduced a stick to perch him but only 1mm away from the table, he is a real clever little one, but loves my hands more than anything, will make noise until I cup him in my hands close to my body...LOL.....Enjoying him very much.
Sounds like you're doing very well with your little one! :)

Zuzu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chantel
Thanks, but I am sure I will still ask loads of questions in the future, still alot of training and daily life with the liitle one.
I have put a natural stick ( checked that it wasn't poisinous and cleaned it) in with him, inch from the floor, he is getting on by his clumsy self and perching, seems to calm him abit.

Zuzu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chantel
Hi, I will also create a new post but thought I might get a faster response on this thread. Can anyone please tell me what the behavior on the video means? He use to come out of his cage on his own (was surprise as he is only 5 weeks old, but managed well ) and I have had him in his day cage since Monday - He started doing this late yesterday afternoon, now he sits and does this every time he sees me, if no one is in the room his quiet and when he sees that I have his feeding dishes he will come out ...... Please advise

Ok, video won't load......????

He sits and bobs his head up and down while making a noise...scream / cry ???? Sometimes he will lower his head by his feet and bob it up and down?

Thank You

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Looks-and sounds like he's hungry. The bobbing and vocalizing are saying, "Come feed me!"

Since Titan heard Zuzu, he's calling back to him...AND bobbing his head up and down...behavior I haven't seen from him since he was a young bub...:)

Zuzu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chantel
What makes him look hungry? Is it the position of his body? If you look closely at the beginning of the video you can see his crop is just about full, it looks much bigger under. This was about 10min after he ate 15ml of feed, I can't feed him anymore, the bottom looks really big, he is most definitely fed to max. I even give him some fruit in between meals, not a lot but he seems to like it, he still finishes between 12 & 15ml at each feeding.
Then I guess he just want's what he can't have? ...LOL
What about him coming to me or not or taking longer, where he use to do that very quickly. Do I use food to get him to come...really don't want him to get use to this.... Once he is with me he is very happy, climbs from one hand to another walk around on my couch , sleep in my lap looks like his head is on a pillow...Well as long as I don't stop scratching. If he gets a fright I am the first person on the couch he will run to and try to hide...

Seen that Titan is doing it, could it be like a greeting call? He does the same sound if I don't feed him quick enough, but stretches out his neck a lot with his body in a more upright position and if I stop scratching when he is sleeping but softer, more in throat...

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Since he's alone, can you give him something he can snuggle with for comfort? It's unusual for chicks to be raised alone, as they usually have at least one or more sibling with them in the nest. They would find comfort in cuddling with each other.

If he doesn't come to you as quickly, it may be a good time to start encouraging him to be independent, since he does need to learn to interact on his own. When he does go to you, reward him for doing so. He is terribly young and quite active already!

Zuzu

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Chantel
LOL, I know he is really active....I try and close him in a attempt and hope he will sleep more but he doesn't. I even had him in a separate room so he could sleep, would sit in there without him knowing and I can hear him shuffling around in his closed cage without end. I tried a snuggle mate, he climbs out of his nest and goes the opposite directions, snuggle buddy became the toilet...lol . We caught him in his day cage today perched , head tucked and sleeping on one leg. Yesterday the kids called me because he was hanging onto the door of his cage... so I decided to make ladders and leave the door open when someone is watching, he seems happier with that...Poor baby that's why he sleeps in my lap a lot. :ashamed2:

Pic, not good photo and can't really see the leg up Zuzu.jpg

macawpower58

Flying along the Avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Shutterbugs' Best

Chantel, you are getting some good replies and advice on your baby behavior thread also.

Don't forget to check back on that thread.