• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adding another bird to the family

mizziebirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
So, I got my budgie Echo almost a month ago now and things are going great. She seems really happy and is even eating from my hand. I love having her around and I'm already thinking and getting excited about my next bird, and how much happier she could be with more company!

I would really like to get a cockatiel so that I can experience a different species of bird as well as giving Echo a friend. I've read about and know a few people who have a budgie and a tiel and they get along great. However, I've also read about how it would be a lot better if I were to get another budgie for Echo, which I really wouldn't mind doing either because I adore budgies... but I'd also really like to have another kind of bird someday :)

I was just wondering what everyone here thinks I should do. I think I'll probably get another budgie to play it safe, then maybe add another bird later on? Thanks in advance for any advice and input!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Same species is usually the best. Sometimes two females will have a tiff once in a while. If you get a male you may have to deal with the mating issue. I am lucky in that regard because M&M are not a mated pair although they have lived in the same cage for over 2 years now.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
...definitely go with another budgie. From my own experiences, tiels are usually much more laid back than budgies...and they usually really don't make a good "mix" together.

Our tiels don't get along with our budgies...the budgies are more "bossy" and just don't care for the tiels....

mizziebirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
...definitely go with another budgie. From my own experiences, tiels are usually much more laid back than budgies...and they usually really don't make a good "mix" together.

Our tiels don't get along with our budgies...the budgies are more "bossy" and just don't care for the tiels....
Will do and noted, thank you for the input! :)

Same species is usually the best. Sometimes two females will have a tiff once in a while. If you get a male you may have to deal with the mating issue. I am lucky in that regard because M&M are not a mated pair although they have lived in the same cage for over 2 years now.
Thank you! And yeah, I was thinking of getting a male because of that. Do you have any tips for preventing mating? All I've heard so far is just to not provide them a nest.

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
Thank you! And yeah, I was thinking of getting a male because of that. Do you have any tips for preventing mating? All I've heard so far is just to not provide them a nest.
Some tips preventing mating:
- One that people normally forget to mention is to control the amount of daylight hours they are out. Put your budgies to bed early - around 6 pm should do the trick.
- No mirrors, we don't want them to get hormonal
- They shouldn't really have any dark "enclosed" spaces where they would want to lay eggs. The cage should be in the sun.
- This tip has often proved to have the best results. CHANGE YOUR CAGES INTERIOR. If you regularly change the position in which things are put, your bird is much less likelier to lay eggs.

Hope you find your bird! :)

Extra: I needed my tiel housed with my budgies temporarily once - lemme tell ya - just don't.

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
Eh what can I say? I was hungry at the time :lol:

I have a screened door so it partially provides me with 'filtered sunlight'. But u know what I meant ;)

You guys are TOO funny! I had a laugh over this.

What did you decide Melissa? @mizziebirb So glad to hear Echo is doing great.

mizziebirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
Some tips preventing mating:
- One that people normally forget to mention is to control the amount of daylight hours they are out. Put your budgies to bed early - around 6 pm should do the trick.
- No mirrors, we don't want them to get hormonal
- They shouldn't really have any dark "enclosed" spaces where they would want to lay eggs. The cage should be in the sun.
- This tip has often proved to have the best results. CHANGE YOUR CAGES INTERIOR. If you regularly change the position in which things are put, your bird is much less likelier to lay eggs.

Hope you find your bird! :)

Extra: I needed my tiel housed with my budgies temporarily once - lemme tell ya - just don't.
Thank you for all the tips! Definitely will try these :D

You guys are TOO funny! I had a laugh over this.

What did you decide Melissa? @mizziebirb So glad to hear Echo is doing great.
Decided on another budgie, and super happy with my decision! Look at this little cutie :D His name is Crayons.

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Uh oh, did I make a mistake? He/she looks like a male to me? :eek: (Thank you though!)
You'd need confirmation from someone else since I'm no expert, but I'd say she is a girl since she looks exactly like mine, with her dark brown ceres and no stripes left on her head. How old is she supposed to be?

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
Take another photo, I can't confirm the gender because the cere color isn't 100% clear (not sure if its brown or dark dark blue).

That's quite a cutie you have there :)

Last edited:

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I think Crayons is the cutest little Birb! I love it's chest, looks tyedyed. I don't know how to sex your fid sorry about the it.

mizziebirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
How old is she supposed to be?
She's above 4 months and that's about all we can say as there are no bars (unless melissa knows the real age).
Mhm! Don't know the exact age but he/she is going through his second molt at the moment so I'm guessing around 8~12 months.

I'm not an expert either but I think you have an adorable little female there.
I think Crayons is the cutest little Birb! I love it's chest, looks tyedyed. I don't know how to sex your fid sorry about the it.
Thank you both!! :heart: I agree! I'm already so in love with him.

Take another photo, I can't confirm the gender because the cere color isn't 100% clear (not sure if its brown or dark dark blue).

That's quite a cutie you have there :)
Thank you!! I'm terrible at taking photos but I hope these suffice:

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Really cute guy! Please remove all dowel perches from cage as they are not good for budgie feet. Replace with natural or rope perches. Thanks

mizziebirb

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Mel
Really cute guy! Please remove all dowel perches from cage as they are not good for budgie feet. Replace with natural or rope perches. Thanks
Thank you! And yeah, sorry about that. I've been looking for some that are as long as his cage to replace the one you see but haven't been having any luck :( It's 31 inches long. He has a few rope perches going the other way though. Should I just remove that one for now?

Nighthawk0123

Strolling the yard
Thank you!! I'm terrible at taking photos but I hope these suffice:
That's quite alright, in fact the photos are very good and I can confirm he is a male. Now you know the gender, just make sure to follow the tips to prevent egg laying!

Should I just remove that one for now?
If you cannot find any natural branches immediately, then at least shape the dowel perch as a temporary solution. Use any slightly heavy duty knife and just carve out small to medium random portions to give the perch texture (kind of like whittling).

You can find a list of bird safe wood and can probably collect your own branches from outside - Keeping in mind that there should be no pesticides and to bake the wood incase of insects, mites etc. Might just be easier to buy branches at the store tbh but your birds will enjoy the branches from outside more (because they can chew it up).