• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Adding a male to an existing flock of 4 - 2F/2M

DMM

Moving in
We have a friend who can no longer keep their parakeet and would like us to take it. My concern is we have an established flock of 4 who are very happy. We've had them for over a couple of years.

I don't know that I want to take a chance with adding another bird to the flock making an odd number. Would that cause trouble and would there be fighting? Would the new bird be left out?

Any suggestions for what this friend could do with the bird should we decide not to take him?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Are the 4 that you have in bonded pairs?

Also, where are you located in case you don't take him we might have some recommendations based on your location.

And welcome to the forum!

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
I keep finding conflicting information on this. Here is what I've gathered so far: Some sources say that given sufficient space, you should be fine as long as groups are all same sex. Others say that the number of females in mixed sex groups should be less than half. It seems they won't bother to breed unless you provide a nest box, but breeding pairs should be separated out so females don't fight.

My own experience so far, is with just one male/female pair.

DMM

Moving in
We started with one bonded pair then added another bonded pair a year later. Interestingly enough they seem to all get along and now it's not clear if they are really bonded anymore b/c they all take turns hanging out with one another. I've not witnessed any mating activity now that we have the 4 unless they are sneaking around behind my back ;). The orginal female is definitely the top of the pecking order. She's demanding and bossy, but the others are fine with her.

I've also read conflicting advice both for and against. Most seem to say it's better to have an additional male than a female. B/c I feel bad for this poor bird, we've agreed to take it. This bird was paired with another male bird who passed away a couple of weeks ago. The owner has had the lone bird vet checked for any illnesses so I think we are good on that front, or are we?

I'm sure the poor thing is sad that his friend is gone and hoping he will be happy with our flock and vice versa. Fingers crossed.

We live in MA. Hopefully all will go well, but it would be good to have resources to contact if needed.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope things go well with your new bird. So nice of you to take him in. I'm sure he'll be happy to be around other birds. Do you know what his mate died from? It's always advisable to still quarantine to be on the safe side.

DMM

Moving in
I don't know what he died from. We actually helped take him to the vet to have him euthanized. He appeared to have a pasted vent according to my daughter who helped bring him to the vet. She thought that could have been the issue and felt bad b/c maybe we could have done something about it if her friend had told us about it sooner. We've had that with our chickens when they were chicks and a soak in a warm tubby usually does the trick, but I don't know about the parakeet. It could also have been a sign of something worse. But you are right, we should probably keep him separate. Do you know if it is ok for them to be in the same room in different cages (different ends of the room) or does it have to be a different room?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I don't know what he died from. We actually helped take him to the vet to have him euthanized. He appeared to have a pasted vent according to my daughter who helped bring him to the vet. She thought that could have been the issue and felt bad b/c maybe we could have done something about it if her friend had told us about it sooner. We've had that with our chickens when they were chicks and a soak in a warm tubby usually does the trick, but I don't know about the parakeet. It could also have been a sign of something worse. But you are right, we should probably keep him separate. Do you know if it is ok for them to be in the same room in different cages (different ends of the room) or does it have to be a different room?
It should be a different room. Even different floors if that's an option. You should also make sure you wash your hands in between handling the birds and even think about changing your clothes before handling your other birds.

DMM

Moving in
Ok will do. Feel bad that he'll be alone but good things are coming his way. How long do you think they should be separated?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
They recommend at least 30 days for quarantine. I would feel bad too. When did the owner take him to the vet's?

DMM

Moving in
He went last week and the vet said he was clear, but I need to ask them what he was tested for. The vet understood they were having him tested b/c they needed to give him away so hopefully she understood the importance of making sure he was healthy.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Personally I would not do it. You have an established flock of budgies and an intruder would not be welcome. Perhaps there is a safer option for this lone budgie.

slinky-kitty

Sprinting down the street
If you just place the new budgie in with the existing without a long and slow introduction process, ie a month separate cage eventually moving closer to their cage and carefully watching their interaction, the newcommer will almost certainly be bullied and fought. I hope someone can give you some more advise. I do wonder if the intro was paced appropriately if he may be able to join them eventually.