1. Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  2. This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Urgent Accidentally used nonstick cookware

Discussion in 'Bird Emergency Highway 911' started by KiwiandLemony, 8/9/19.

1. KiwiandLemony

KiwiandLemony Meeting neighbors

Hi, I’m in kind of an urgent situation. Before we got birds (two teils) we made sure we threw out all of our nonstick cookware, but we have a pancake grill that is nonstick coated and I didn’t realize until after I used it. I used it at 400 degrees Fahrenheit and Teflon is an issue at 446 degrees Fahrenheit, it could have easily gotten that hot, using it for over 10 minutes. Right now we’ve put their cage outside, put on 2 air purifiers, 2 fans and an exhaust, we aren’t sure what else we can do, does anybody have any suggestions, I’m sorry to bother you but this can get seriously serious fast, their lungs could fill with fluid and cause them to suffocate, any bit helps. Thank you

2. enigma731

enigma731 Rollerblading along the road Avenue Veteran

If nobody is symptomatic, it's probably fine. Air the house well for an hour or two and that should be that. Not advocating for the use of teflon at all but my parents did it many times around my childhood tiel before we knew better and he's still here at 25. My understanding is it's either fine or the birds pretty much drop dead. So if it's been a few minutes and they're still okay, they probably will be okay.

3. KiwiandLemony

Thank you so much, this is really reassuring.

expressmailtome and Hankmacaw like this.
  4. finchly

finchly Biking along the boulevard Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Finchly
    If i'm not mistaken, it's when you overheat the pan/burn things that the toxins are released.

expressmailtome and Lady Jane like this.
  5. Lady Jane

Lady Jane Joyriding the Neighborhood Mayor of the Avenue Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran I Can't Stop Posting!

Dianne
    Best to get rid of all non stick cookware.

6. ncGreyBirdLady

ncGreyBirdLady They call Me crazy like its a bad thing! Administrator Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award Avenue Veteran

Bonnie
    If the pan did not overheat they should be Ok! Welcome to the Avenue and please let us know later that they are ok!:hug8:

expressmailtome likes this.
  7. KiwiandLemony

@ lady Jane we totally agree, better to be safe that sorry. We threw them away all at once and just missed that one. Based on that I assumed it was safe until I looked closer at the box.

Lady Jane likes this.
  8. KiwiandLemony

@ncgreybirdlady it’s an issue at 446 degrees Fahrenheit and it could have easily gotten to, either way the birds are doing great, I’ll just be thankful that we acted fast enough.

ncGreyBirdLady likes this.
  9. KiwiandLemony

@finchly toxins are released at or above 446 degrees Fahrenheit.

10. KiwiandLemony

Thank you to everyone who helped out, it was all reassuring and helped us react properly, and it turn saved the birds. Their doing great, thanks for the concern.

11. Zara

Zara Biking along the boulevard Celebirdy of the Month Avenue Spotlight Award I Can't Stop Posting! POSTAHOLIC

Zara
    So good to hear your birds are ok. You did great putting them outside and airing the house.

Welcome to the Avenue :meet:

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)