• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Accident with the ceiling fan

Status
Not open for further replies.

janabasim

Sitting on the front steps
My Alexandrine parrot struck his head with the ceiling fan today, he is about 4 months old.

There was no bleeding but it left a scar on his head and I can easily see his skin.

Please guide me what should I do.

Regards.

There is no avian vet arround me.
(so please no discussion on why and where I am).

I do have access to medicine and other stuffs apart from avian vet.

suncoast

Cruising the avenue
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Ginger
First you need to get him in a hospital cage and reduce his energy output. Low perches, padded bottom in case he's disoriented and can't keep his balance. Food and water low and if he can't eat you may need to handfeed or hydrate with clear pedylite for a while.

I would flush the wound with sterile saline and keep an eye on it. I would also start him on an antibiotic like Baytril just to be on the safe side.

The danger is going to come if he has either a concussion or internal bleeding and sometimes the symptoms don't show up for a few days.

Watch his balance, vision, preening, eating and pooing.

Any sign of lethargy, excessive sleepiness or stumbling is cause for concern.

Ginger

Cory

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Cory
First you need to get him in a hospital cage and reduce his energy output. Low perches, padded bottom in case he's disoriented and can't keep his balance. Food and water low and if he can't eat you may need to handfeed or hydrate with clear pedylite for a while.

I would flush the wound with sterile saline and keep an eye on it. I would also start him on an antibiotic like Baytril just to be on the safe side.

The danger is going to come if he has either a concussion or internal bleeding and sometimes the symptoms don't show up for a few days.

Watch his balance, vision, preening, eating and pooing.

Any sign of lethargy, excessive sleepiness or stumbling is cause for concern.

Ginger
Excellent advice Ginger!

allison

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Allison
I agree with Ginger.

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
I'm so sorry your bird had this accident. Ginger's wise suggestions should be very helpful. Please keep us posted on how he does.

piercesdesigns

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Debbie
NO HEAT! Do not put him in a heated area.

This is very bad with a head injury.

If he seems lethargic, vomits, falls, then he needs treatment with steroids by a vet.

tonyasb

Strolling the yard
I am so sorry! This happened with me and Lucina once when she was still a baby. Although there was a lot of bleeding, I was lucky and she was fine. Ginger's advice is good. It's the same I was given when I called to let the emergency vet know I was on my way. It's a shame there are so few avian vets since there are so many bird parents. The closest emergency vet to me that has an avian vet on staff is 30-40 minutes away and I've discovered I'm lucky there! There are people who drive hours to get there. Why is there a shortage of avian vets? I would think they would all learn about the common pet species while in school.

Riley's mom

Real Name
Cindy
I am so sorry! This happened with me and Lucina once when she was still a baby. Although there was a lot of bleeding, I was lucky and she was fine. Ginger's advice is good. It's the same I was given when I called to let the emergency vet know I was on my way. It's a shame there are so few avian vets since there are so many bird parents. The closest emergency vet to me that has an avian vet on staff is 30-40 minutes away and I've discovered I'm lucky there! There are people who drive hours to get there. Why is there a shortage of avian vets? I would think they would all learn about the common pet species while in school.
It is very sad that Avian and Exotic vets are not in plentiful supply, but the reality is that this is more of a specialized field. And, from what I have been told, alot of vets are intimidated by these guys.

Brigidt36

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Brigid Thompson
Ginger's advice is spot on. Wishing your faby the best.

birdlady

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leslie
I hope your baby is ok....I am so lucky to have an avian vet withing 5 minutes and an excellent hospital with 24 hour emergency withing 20 minutes. I wish we all were so lucky.

atvchick95

Real Name
Kelli
your were given good advice

only thing left out is when birds are out keep the ceiling fans off they can decapitate a bird!

birdlvr466

Hit the Road
Real Name
Pat
your were given good advice

only thing left out is when birds are out keep the ceiling fans off they can decapitate a bird!
I agree with this. Our ceiling fan is no longer turned on..EVER. Even when the birds are in their cages.

Annamacaw

Rescue Rep
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Any update on how he is doing???

Renae

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Oh dear, I hope your baby will be OK. Please keep us updated on how he's doing. :hug8:

crzybrdldy

Real Name
Patty
Most deaths occur to birds that have a brain bleed because they struck their heads on something; a ceiling fan or window that they couldn't or didn't know was there.

As Ginger said keep an eye on your bird, could you find a vet that is at least knowledgeable of avian anatomy that could be there if you need him/her?

Hope all goes well with your baby.

Thugluvgrl187

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
His is your baby today?

birdiesandbullies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bernadette!
It is very sad that Avian and Exotic vets are not in plentiful supply, but the reality is that this is more of a specialized field. And, from what I have been told, alot of vets are intimidated by these guys.
My old dog/cat vet (who moved away and was an AMAZING vet) didn't want to do birds b/c quote "she didnt want a patient who could die if she looked at it wrong".

birdiesandbullies

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Bernadette!
It is hard. My grey is flighted and I have to make a conscious effort to make sure nothing is one when she is out as she will fly. My Sennie who is currently flighted doesnt try to fly around (phew)

Status
Not open for further replies.