• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Accident happened to Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Batman is growing tail feathers i saw post mang had none he grew his in it takes time but it will come back
give your grand son a hug after all he is a child and i cant see him hurting a bird this was just a quick reaction
let him know alls well and bird will be on
now mom grand ma you take a deeeeep breath alls well you will live bird will live grand son grew up a bit hell live
count this as a day none will forget in the years to come grand sone will one day tell his children what he did to his grandma made het gain 10yr in 2 seconds

Oh, that's great news! I hadn't seen that post. Glad he'll be getting his tail back! :)

bubblelady

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Maureen
I had a budgie who lost all his tail feathers when I left him with a friend while I was out of town. Her dog knocked the cage off of a very high table, the cage came apart, the dog went for the bird, and the bird took off. Happy ending: all the dog got was a mouth full of tail feathers & the bird, who was fully flighted, made it to high ground. The tail feathers all grew back. Ain't Mother Nature grand? However, ALL my birds now either go with me or board at my CAVs! Not taking chances with friends animals...or children :)

Patricia

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia Lippai
I got my grandson to give Patrick some millet and he has held another bird who just sat on his hands and he seems to be ok now.He said grandma can i hold one of the lovebirds their tails are not that long.I laughed and said he should hold a budgie as so you will not be scared to hold one again.Patrick seems none worse for wear he is greedly eating the millet from his hand♥here is tail less Patrick♥

Attachments

~birdybea~

Rollerblading along the road
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Belinda
Look at that cute little duckbutt!! :p I must say, i've done that myself before. I was holding a baby budgie and it jumped out of my hands and started heading behind a big book shelf. My instinct was to stop it getting behind there at all costs, and i ended up grabbed its tail in my attempt to get it before it was stuck. I was left with a handful of feathers, a budgie stuck behind a book shelf, and lots of guilt! The tail grew back quite quickly though. :D

Kimba

Sprinting down the street
awwwww he's a green cotton ball with wings! lol

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
awww so cute, I'm glad he's okay!!

Trice

Real Name
Trice
Patricia,

Hi! Hope he'll fully recover soon. Please try and keep your grandson away from your birds so this want happen again.

Patricia

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia Lippai
Trice that is not the right thing to do,he has to learn that he can't grab at the bird if it wants to go and fly.He thought it was falling so he grabbed at it.If you read some of the other posts adults have done the same or almost the same thing,it is an accident.It could happen to anyone (even you).Do you want the poor kid traumatized for his whole life?I am taking the advice of others here as yours is too harsh♥

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Everyone makes innocent mistakes and now is the time to teach the young-ins (with a lot of supervision) how to react around fids. I'm glad both Patrick and your grandson are doing better now.

Sharpie

Avenue Veteran
I'll chime in with the chorus- it's a natural reaction to help the bird escape a predator, and assuming there's no other trauma or bleeding, the little guy will be just fine, though may be a little uncoordinated when flying until they start to grow in. It's scary for everyone involved, but I'm glad your grandson has had a chance to hold another bird and that Patrick is eating his millet. :)

I've done it myself when one of my budgies was about to fall between my desk and the wall. Poor little budgie wound up a duckbutt for a few weeks and I felt awful, but no harm done in the long run. And lesson learned!

Patricia

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia Lippai
Thank you Sharpie and Marie,everything is fine and the grandson is calmed down and wanting his own bird now♥

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
thank you sharpie and marie,everything is fine and the grandson is calmed down and wanting his own bird now♥
life isnt all cut and dry adults and children have axidents thats life the thing is dont make bid isues out of something that wasnt done out of meanness
i hope grandma is thinking about grand sons wish and with loving guidence helps him get his bird .
How many adults opend doors with a bird on there shoulder and the bird flew away we know better but still it hapens so what was your punishment other than you lost a bird
im thinking seeing the feathers in his hand or ont the floor is punishment enough for any child
im thanking you for the post it reminds us all that things can and will happen to us at any age
god bless

Morghen

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Morghen
When I got Phineas, he was pretty much tail-less. It didn't affect him at all. Well, Phineas died, but I don't think not having a tail was a factor....

birdman78

Real Name
John
Patricia,

Hi! Hope he'll fully recover soon. Please try and keep your grandson away from your birds so this want happen again.
What a wrong thing to say. If anything she did right by letting him play with the other birds. Last thing we need is for our young kids not to be interested/understanding in birds. Best thing to do is to turn every bad situation into a learning one, which I think Patricia did. Good job Patricia.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
Sounds like he should be ok. I think that the feathers will grow back.

Status
Not open for further replies.