• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here
  • This forum is for advice about initial treatment given to your injured/sick bird until a qualified avian veterinarian is available.
    THIS IS NOT MEANT TO REPLACE VET CARE

Accident happened to Patrick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patricia

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia Lippai
My 10 yr old grandson was playing with him and he tried to get away,but my grandson grabbed him by his tail and all his feathers came out.There is no bleeding,he seems fine except he is a bit mad.He keeps looking at his bare bum.Will they grow back,please help I am in tears and do not know what to do .This has never happened to me before♥

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
It's really a gamble in whether or not the tail feathers will grow back in or not. I believe Batman (owned by Oknuma) had an accident with his tail and those feathers never did grow back in. I don't honestly know if your bird will or will not, or what determines if it will/won't.

Let's hope your little Fid recovers quickly, though. <3

birdlover82

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Susan
They should grow back. This happened to Chirp when we first had her. My husband says that they can release their tail feathers when they are pulled like that.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
honey keep a close eye on him..if there is no bleeding etc..he will be ok

Birdasaurus

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Andrea
I believe the tail feathers are able to "release" so to speak as a way to get away from predators. I've had 2 budgies with no tail feathers, and they all grew back. So sorry he had to go through that, but he should be ok :hug8:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
He isn't going to die from this is he,like shock or something?♥
He should be fine. The fact that it is a safety mechanism to be able to release the feathers in this way helps prevent trauma. However, it also depends on what else happened to his little body. I would watch to make sure there is no bleeding and he is moving alright. From what you said so far it sounds ok. You may want to give your vet a call in the AM and just run it by him for his suggestions. That's always a good thing to do.:hug8:

Quiverful

Life is a gift:)
Real Name
Dawn
He should be fine and the feathers should grow back. I have a little Budgie that had all her tail feathers plucked out by other Budgies. They all grew back beautifully.

Emmilyy

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Emily
Also, talk to your grandson. 10 years old is old enough to know you shouldn't grab birds by their tails ever. My brother is 10 and would yell at someone if he saw them doing that. Heck, my little 4 year old cousin is much more gentle with my birds than most adults!

i hope he feels better soon.

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
I hope he'll be alright Patricia!! :hug8:

Patricia

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Patricia Lippai
it was an accident like a reflex to grab out at something falling,He just turned 10, 2 days ago,he is crying his heart out♥He has never been around any birds until today as they came from out of town♥

Last edited:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Oh, your poor grandson. I can just imagine how shocked he was to see all those feathers in his hand. Explain to him how it's built in to birds to release their tail feathers like that to prevent injury and to get away from predictors. :hug8:

Edit: Also, once your grandson has calmed down allow him with your supervision to hold the bird again if possible and only if the bird is not stressed so he (your grandson) won't be traumatized. This was a hard lesson for him to learn.

Last edited:

dolldid

Riding the Skies
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avian Angel
Real Name
Dolly witney
Batman is growing tail feathers i saw post mang had none he grew his in it takes time but it will come back
give your grand son a hug after all he is a child and i cant see him hurting a bird this was just a quick reaction
let him know alls well and bird will be on
now mom grand ma you take a deeeeep breath alls well you will live bird will live grand son grew up a bit hell live
count this as a day none will forget in the years to come grand sone will one day tell his children what he did to his grandma made het gain 10yr in 2 seconds

bookworm

Jogging around the block
Real Name
thou
i went through the same thing about a month ago with joey. i accidently stepped on his tail and all his tailfeathers came out. i was so worried and panicked. but as long as there is no bleeding, your bird should be fine. in fact, right now, joey's tailfeathers are growing back nicely.

ncGreyBirdLady

They call Me crazy like its a bad thing!
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bonnie
Keep Patrick quiet and warm until he seems to Have recovered from the scare/shock.His feathers will grow back.Then Give Your Grandson a Hug :hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.