• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

ABV positive, very sick

MommyBird

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
Chico and Polly have tested positive for ABV.
Since other tests have ruled out other diseases, and xrays show some inflammation of proventriculus, the vet is saying PDD for them both, and Monday I started on Metacam and some Lafeber's Emeraid Omnivore food supplement.

As you can imagine I am just devastated beyond anything, and frightened for the rest of my flock. They do not have direct contact (they are kept on different floors and I have hot water radiator heating and no AC) but I certainly could have been a vector.
As to how Chico and Polly got it in the first place, I have no clue. I am very very aware and careful and their only exposure I can imagine is at the vet's. The vet believes Chico always had it but something unknown finally triggered it to PDD. I guess it is moot.

There just is not enough information about this disease and how to keep birds safe from it.

My huge problem at the moment is getting some liquid food supplements into them via syringe feeding (not tube feeding).
Once I catch him and get him towelled, Chico will eat a limited amount of formula before he says he is done. (about 7-10 mls). He eats a limited amount of other foods though.
Polly however fights me with everything in her. She bites, kicks, flaps, twists. Clamps her beak shut. If I get any formula in there she refuses to swallow. she will not swallow at all. For the small amount I can get in her I have finally decided it is not worth it and so I will insist on the metacam and no more. No way she is eating enough to keep going, but I am out of ideas, and the stress of towelling her is huge. Fortunately she started out overweight so has some buffer, although her consumption of other foods has decreased greatly the past 2 days. If anybody can say how to get her to swallow....I've tried simulating the feeding bob by grabbing her beak, maybe I don't reproduce it good enough.....She's so freaked by towelling though that maybe she can't respond.

I have not been doing well, and have been to talk to a grief counselor. It was helpful, but doesn't fix the real problem.
I'm tired and can't think of more to add. And there just isn't the science to tell us much more what to do. And then there are all the moral/ethical questions that are so difficult.
But I hope I will have your kind support and compassion.

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Debbie, I am so very sorry. :sadhug:

April

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I wish I could do more,but all I can offer are :hug8: and a shoulder to cry on.

merlinsmom13

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
No words :sad2:

I hope someone has a suggestion to help w/the feedings. Is there anything, even bird restricted foods that she will eat?

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
Debbie, I am devastated for you. :heart: You can't look back, just follow the vets advice and enjoy the love of your flock. As you said yourself, nothing can make this better, or make it go away. We will go through this with you. I'm so sorry.

MommyBird

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Debbie
No words :sad2:

I hope someone has a suggestion to help w/the feedings. Is there anything, even bird restricted foods that she will eat?
She used to be a piggy who would eat anything at all and then go eat Chico's too.
Right now she will do cooked carrot circles and fresh corn on the cob. Then sometimes surprisingly safflower seeds but not sunflower seeds. Trying everything. Yesterday morning she refused scrambled eggs which upset me.

solo

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
jess
:hug8:

lupe

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lupe
:hug8:hang in there....for your flock...:hug8:

Katy

Cruising the avenue
Mayor of the Avenue
She used to be a piggy who would eat anything at all and then go eat Chico's too.
Right now she will do cooked carrot circles and fresh corn on the cob. Then sometimes surprisingly safflower seeds but not sunflower seeds. Trying everything. Yesterday morning she refused scrambled eggs which upset me.
I'm sure you've tried everything, but cooked yam, really cooked, worked when my guys were off their feed. I also sometimes make A small portion of Harrisons mash, add cooked yam, and a little almond butter? My guys wolf that. I think any kind of hot cereal would work as a base, but the Har. Mash probably beats all others with nutrients.

Hrtofau2

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Summer
I am so sorry. :( :hug8:

danadear

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dana
Oh I am so sorry. This is a rough week for AA members. :(

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
I am so sorry! :hug8: Would she eat it from a spoon if you just offer it without toweling her? Or from a bowl? Can you mix a flavour in that she likes? Cinnamon, etc?

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Im so sorry :hug8:

Is there any reason why you're not gavage feeding her?

When I was a bird groomer at the local bird store, I was uncomfortable toweling macaws at first. They flap and kick and bite and scream too. But after a while, it got better. Make sure you know how to towel correctly, so its not so hard on you :hug8:

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
:hug8::hug8::hug8:

sodakat

Real Name
Kathy
The only way I convinced a reluctant bird to take meds was to cut a little square of bread and spread peanut butter on it, then turn the bread over and soak with medicine, then fold the medicine side in, leaving peanut butter flavor on outside. It is messy but it did work. If the bird is not at all interested in ANY food, I'm not sure this would work however.

So very, very sorry.