• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Absolutely scariest moment

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
How frightening! I’m so pleased everyone is ok and the hawk was spotted before anything awful happened.
You have a min pin???? Any pics? They’re my favourite little dogs :heart:

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Circling hawks are usually trying to find a thermal and circle up. They may sometime hunt while circling but I don’t see them do that as much. Most of the time a hawk will just go right at a prey item no holds bared for a direct hit. If they aren’t sure about it, they might fly close and find something to land on while watching closely. Their body will be tipped forward and you can kind of tell they aren’t just sitting. This really doesn’t sound like the bird was all that intent on making your pet dinner. It could be something like being noticed by you spooked him slightly so he wanted to take wing but wasn’t sure he really wanted to get away. He could have also thought maybe he saw food, was mildly interested and wanted to circle a couple times before deciding if it was worth dealing with the scary humans to try. Mostly he was just checking things out. No reason to be scared. Just be present when you have small pets outside. This is the start of the migration and some young, hungry and stupid baby hawks are recently on their own and on the move.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
That's how we lost our darling green cheek Pistachio. :sad1:

I'm so glad Kady is safe! Please give him extra scritches today. :heart:

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Awww she’s beautiful!

My grandad used to breed them when I was very little. My first dog was a tan min pin from his champion show dog.....seeing them always brings back fond memories.
I haven’t seen a min pin for years. Thank you for the pic:heart:

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
So glad you saw the hawk and went into protective mode. We lose an occasional wild bird to hawks in our back yard. They're hunting less now that the baby season is over with but I still see one every now and then. I always wonder sometimes if they're looking at my dogs too. I always have a leash on them and stand close to them when we're outside. Your Bella is very cute. I've always loved the little hackney gait the min pins have.... such showy little prancers!

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
So glad you saw the hawk and went into protective mode. We lose an occasional wild bird to hawks in our back yard. They're hunting less now that the baby season is over with but I still see one every now and then. I always wonder sometimes if they're looking at my dogs too. I always have a leash on them and stand close to them when we're outside. Your Bella is very cute. I've always loved the little hackney gait the min pins have.... such showy little prancers!
Thank you. I always keep a close eye on her too as we live rural and have coyotes that live on the state land across the street. We also lose a bird now and again at our feeders. The way this hawk was positioned in the tree it was looking at the feeder area at first. I think as was mentioned earlier, the hawk saw us and was circling to come in for a closer look.

Karen

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Awww she’s beautiful!

My grandad used to breed them when I was very little. My first dog was a tan min pin from his champion show dog.....seeing them always brings back fond memories.
I haven’t seen a min pin for years. Thank you for the pic:heart:
Thank you. She is my 1st. min pin and I'm so in love with the breed. They are just so smart and loyal. I'm sure your dog must have been gorgeous!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
Glad everyone is okay but yes, you do have to watch out for the "invisible" predators up high. We've noticed that they usually strike when the sun is behind them so the victim doesn't see them until it's too late. The following was also posted on AA back in 2011 - M2 attacked by hawk at LA zoo bird show - (shocking but not graphic) | Avian Avenue Parrot Forum

Whenever we put cages outside we can always tell if there's a hawk around because all the wild birds disappear and the parrots all shut, freeze and look up at the sky.

melissasparrots

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
The hawk in that video was likely totally confused. You hold meat on the glove to call the bird to you. From the hawks perspective, this lady was holding a crazy huge meal just for him. Then she stole it from him. Lucky for them, Harris hawks will sometimes let you get away with that sort of thing without becoming disillusioned with their training. That was a total screw up on so many levels.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Wow.... at first I thought it was a wild hawk but then later in the show you see how he made it out of his box above (that was a MAJOR screwup). Still, lucky she avoided a hit to the cockatoo but good Lord! She took a bad hit to the head or neck. That had to hurt!

Leih

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Leih Pearson
I shouldn't be surprised that a hawk or other bird of prey would attack another bird, but I am! Glad everyone is okay!

Shezbug

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Wow. Is it my imagination or is there a loud thud sound when the Hawk makes contact with the lady?

I think it’s amazing that the 2 didn’t end up hurt by the hawk or with broken wings or a head injury from when the lady drops to protect them both.

Omg that is amazing footage and would have been so scary.
My heart races every time I see the hawks here catch one of the other birds in our yard or our neighbours yards which I have witnessed at least once a month since being here. They’re always catching mice, lizards and rabbits from the paddock behind our house too but I don’t actually witness the attack and catch. They are so perfect with their aim it is freaky but fascinating.

fashionfobie

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
That would be pretty terrifying.

I am so glad you had the best outcome in that situation.

They sell something called a coyote coat/suit here. They look a bit bonkers but they give your dog the appearance of being larger than reality. They have some metal stud work that would bother an attacking animal. It may be something worth looking into for awhile until the hawk finds greener pastures.

standard_resolution.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
The coyote suit!:rofl:

I’m just glad you were right there and paying attention,@Karen . Hawks are so darn quick! We have lots.

My birds are hyper vigilant outside. The dogs aren’t but I stay right with them.

We had coyotes, and not so many hawks before but our neighborhood thought it was too civilized to have coyotes roaming around. So they had them removed. The bunny population then exploded, so now we have hawks.