• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Absolutely Heartbroken

nu2birds

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kurt
So sorry for your losses. It's very hard, I know. It will be interesting to see what the necropsy shows as it is a little concerning that you lost two birds fairly close together. An environmental toxin could be the culprit. Maybe purchase a carbon monoxide detector for the house so you will know if there is contamination from somewhere.

Brinagirl

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Sabrina
I got the necropsy results from Vinny back today. The vet said that she didn’t see anything wrong with his organs. I examined his droppings and some of them were completely white so I really think that he wasn’t eating. The vet said that he wasn’t skinny but when Rocky passed away I could feel his collarbone(?).
I don’t know if we have a carbon monoxide detector, I’ll check.
I miss my babies so much so I am looking for another bird at the moment. There are so many sweeties to adopt!

Comet

Strolling the yard
Just to confirm that budgies unfortunately will refuse foods they don't like/aren't used to...
One of my young birds made herself sick from not eating enough while I was trying to convert her and her cagemate to a healthier diet. The ONLY things she would eat were sprouted seeds, offered in small portions, dry millet, and dry canary grass seed from the mix they were, and still are, on. I would blow out the hulls to find that she (and he...) still hadn't eaten other types of leftover seed, pellets, or the dried fruit in the mix. So, I would put it back in the cage. They wouldn't touch much of it, and I'm betting that he was the one taking all of whatever was eaten. I'd top up the bowl, and put it back. She started puffing up after a couple of days, acting lethargic. An increase in her food, and she got better, and much more playful with her buddy! Even accepted regurgitated food from him. Hopefully he's eating well enough that it passes on to her. I've given them cat grass and veggies, but he's the only one who bothers to nibble. Next thing to try is dicing veggies/fruits, and mixing it in with the seed mix. Hopefully she'll get to liking the taste.
I'm sorry for your losses, and excited for your new bird! Do make sure to check the items in your home for things that may be coated with teflon, etc, just in case. Best of luck from my birds and I!

Gribouille

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
I examined his droppings and some of them were completely white so I really think that he wasn’t eating.
Hi,
One of my budgies also had white droppings a few months before he died, but he was definitely eating and overweighed. However he was sick and turned blind. I don't think this can have been the result of poisoning since his friend is still alive and absolutely fine, but the vet did ask about the possibility he had eaten something he wasn't supposed to... I'm certain he didn't, but then, I don't know why he had those white droppings, nor why they changed after a while.

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
I'm so sorry for you loss and shocked that they passed so quickly. I had 13 keets at one time, trust me it was an experience. Back in the day we didn't give birds pellet. I do find it odd that this was the only source of food for the birds. They are smaller then parrots. I really didn't think a keet would be able to eat pellets. I don't have enough knowledge on pellets, do they make them specially for keets? These birds are so vigorous in eating veggies and are not shy. You stated that you noticed the second bird was sick, what were the signs? Bobbing tail? Anything else. I do hope you find out what happened and keep us posted. My heart goes out to you.

Budgies ddefinitely can eat pellets. They make them in sizes small enough for finches. Many of the formulations are the same regardless of size but other companies make different recipes for different sizes.

Pellets for Parrots