• ALL Threads/Post in Rehome Highway will be reviewed for compliance to forum guidelines before being approved.
  • Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

About PEARL

BirdGuy21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Hey everyone. Really excited to have our own Exit here on AA for the rescue we volunteer with in Pittsburgh, PA. Wanted to give everyone a brief description as to who we are, what we do, and showcase some of out adoptable birds looking for their forever flocks.

We are the Parrot Education, Adoption, And Rehoming League- PEARL Parrot Rescue for short. We are a 501c3 nonprofit organization located in Pittsburgh PA dedicated to rescuing, rehabilitating, and rehoming companion parrots. We are an all volunteer run organization and completely foster based. We have no facility to house our birds. We do have a wonderful group of volunteers who serve as intake/quarantine homes and foster homes until our birds find their new flock. All our birds are quarantined for a minimum of thirty days and undergo a vet check immediately upon entering the program. After they are deemed healthy and the quarantine period is over, our foster families take them into their homes to work on training, diet conversion, and socialization.

Our mission statement-
The mission of PEARL is to provide quality education to current and potential parrot or bird owners. Unwanted or found parrots are accepted at Parrot Education, Adoption, and Rehoming League, and in turn, are adopted to qualified applicants. We also assist in home-to-home adoptions for non-parrot pet birds. We are a foster-based rescue, located in the Pittsburgh PA area.

A large aspect of our mission is education. What we have found is that a lot of birds that are purchased or adopted end up being rehomed within a short period of time after their acquisition. Too many people are simply unaware of the care requirements and challenges of having a parrot, and it is always the bird who suffers most in the end. To help break this cycle, we focus heavily on educating potential (and current) bird owners about the proper care and challenges of living with a companion parrot. We want to make sure all our adopters are ready to share their lives and home with a bird. We have a three step adoption process that all potential adopters are required to follow- application, classes, and home check.

Every potential adopter and foster is required to take part in Basic Bird Care and Advanced Bird Care classes. During Basic Bird Care we discuss our caging, diet, and enrichment expectations as well as home hazards and basic bird physiology. Advanced Bird Care focuses on positive reinforcement training, hormones, and how to address behaviors such as screaming, biting, and feather destruction. We also teach an Avian Nutrition course that is an in depth look at feeding your bird. This class includes the problems that result from an all seed diet, how to make chop, how to sprout, make birdie bread, and convert a birds diet. We have recently partnered with an avian vet in the area and she will be working with us to offer an avian first aid course this spring. We also are offering an enrichment course where we will have a make your own bird toys event.

Since we are all volunteer based and have the class requirements for adoption, we do have to limit adoptions to within one hour or so from the City of Pittsburgh.

Here's the link to our website if you'd like to check us out. All our available birds are on PetFinder, and under the Adopt link on the website. I will be posting some on this forum to show them off too!

https://www.pearlparrots.com/

Thanks for taking the time to check us out! If you have any questions or are interested in adopting, volunteering, fostering, let me know!

chloesmom

Checking out the neighborhood
Real Name
diana yougas
Hi my name is Diana and I am Chloe’s mom. First I’d like to take the course you give for adopters pls.you’re never too old to learn something new . Secondly I would like to know if there’s a way for my family to be able to have you take Chloe in case something was to happen to me .

Chloe is a 27 year old lovable goffin cockatoo. She’s only had one owner- me
I am 57 years young lol just making arrangements in case we live in Florida but my son lives in Hoboken New Jersey. Pls give me a call if this can be arranged

Last edited by a moderator:

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Emma
Hey everyone. Really excited to have our own Exit here on AA for the rescue we volunteer with in Pittsburgh, PA. Wanted to give everyone a brief description as to who we are, what we do, and showcase some of out adoptable birds looking for their forever flocks.

We are the Parrot Education, Adoption, And Rehoming League- PEARL Parrot Rescue for short. We are a 501c3 nonprofit organization located in Pittsburgh PA dedicated to rescuing, rehabilitating, and rehoming companion parrots. We are an all volunteer run organization and completely foster based. We have no facility to house our birds. We do have a wonderful group of volunteers who serve as intake/quarantine homes and foster homes until our birds find their new flock. All our birds are quarantined for a minimum of thirty days and undergo a vet check immediately upon entering the program. After they are deemed healthy and the quarantine period is over, our foster families take them into their homes to work on training, diet conversion, and socialization.

Our mission statement-
The mission of PEARL is to provide quality education to current and potential parrot or bird owners. Unwanted or found parrots are accepted at Parrot Education, Adoption, and Rehoming League, and in turn, are adopted to qualified applicants. We also assist in home-to-home adoptions for non-parrot pet birds. We are a foster-based rescue, located in the Pittsburgh PA area.

A large aspect of our mission is education. What we have found is that a lot of birds that are purchased or adopted end up being rehomed within a short period of time after their acquisition. Too many people are simply unaware of the care requirements and challenges of having a parrot, and it is always the bird who suffers most in the end. To help break this cycle, we focus heavily on educating potential (and current) bird owners about the proper care and challenges of living with a companion parrot. We want to make sure all our adopters are ready to share their lives and home with a bird. We have a three step adoption process that all potential adopters are required to follow- application, classes, and home check.

Every potential adopter and foster is required to take part in Basic Bird Care and Advanced Bird Care classes. During Basic Bird Care we discuss our caging, diet, and enrichment expectations as well as home hazards and basic bird physiology. Advanced Bird Care focuses on positive reinforcement training, hormones, and how to address behaviors such as screaming, biting, and feather destruction. We also teach an Avian Nutrition course that is an in depth look at feeding your bird. This class includes the problems that result from an all seed diet, how to make chop, how to sprout, make birdie bread, and convert a birds diet. We have recently partnered with an avian vet in the area and she will be working with us to offer an avian first aid course this spring. We also are offering an enrichment course where we will have a make your own bird toys event.

Since we are all volunteer based and have the class requirements for adoption, we do have to limit adoptions to within one hour or so from the City of Pittsburgh.

Here's the link to our website if you'd like to check us out. All our available birds are on PetFinder, and under the Adopt link on the website. I will be posting some on this forum to show them off too!

PEARL Parrot Rescue | Pittsburgh

Thanks for taking the time to check us out! If you have any questions or are interested in adopting, volunteering, fostering, let me know!
You do amazing work

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
Hi my name is Diana and I am Chloe’s mom. First I’d like to take the course you give for adopters pls.you’re never too old to learn something new . Secondly I would like to know if there’s a way for my family to be able to have you take Chloe in case something was to happen to me .

Chloe is a 27 year old lovable goffin cockatoo. She’s only had one owner- me
I am 57 years young lol just making arrangements in case we live in Florida but my son lives in Hoboken New Jersey. Pls give me a call if this can be arranged
You'll need to contact PEARL directly to arrange something like this. Their website is PEARL Parrot Rescue | Pittsburgh