• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

aaarh how to crush cat heartworm horse pills??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lamagdalena

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Erika
have u tried to put them in the pill treats? it's like a pill pocket that u place the pill inside close the entrance and it looks like a meat treat for ur cat or dog. They eat it without knowing the pill is inside.

this has been successfull for angelo and bella but not lady. lady didn't like the treat lol!

also my vet mentioned this weekend there is heart prevention medicine that is in liquid form and you put it on the back of the neck. BUT this type doesnt prevent intestinal parasites.

So right now, today actually, I am going to give Lady the chewable tablet from Sentinel and see is she eats it.

LuvMyBirds

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Barbara
Heartworms are so very rare in cats. Did your vet inform you of the percentage of cats who get heartworms? I worked for two vet hospitals for 6 years before opening my pet spa business and we never had one heartworm positive cat. Not enough to make me want to give them heartworm preventative, especially a med that causes problems. Just my opinion/experience.
Unfortunately it's no longer that rare :( and the worst possible thing is there is no treatment for a cat with heartworms.
KNOW Heartworms - 2: Indoor vs. Outdoor Cats

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
well folks I am EXTREMELY happy to report that the PILL CRUSHER gizmo did a fantastic job!! It was effortless! Thank you so much Deb and Heather!! Not only that, the pills had no medicinal smell and while i was mixing them in tablespoons of Fancy Feast for each cat, they were whining and begging for it!! It must have an attractive aroma! They chowed down on the food with great relish and it is no longer a DREADED chore to administer heartworm meds once a month!!!

Erika, the liquid that goes on the back of th neck burns great big holes in the skin of one of my cats. The other one has no reaction to it. It was a once a month torture session and I just could not do it to her anymore so switched to pills. I tried to do pills at the very start years ago but for some reason no one at the vet's mentioned these magical crushing devices :lol:and so I went the liquid route.

p.s. being a neurotic sort of worry wart I am looking for reactions to this new med (Interceptor).

p.p.s Misty my cat went in for sniffles to the vet yesterday and he gave her antihistamines which almost knocked her out. She was groggy and dopey all evening and did not eat dinner. I was worrying and worrying and worrying but then looked up reaction to antihistamines in cats and sure enough lethargy was a big one. Then I felt relaxed and knew she would sleep it off. While we were there I also got bloodwork done on her as she is 10, and it came back normal I am very happy to say :)

GG.

Enjoy the small things
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
GG
:yah: glad to hear the crusher did it's job and that Misty's lab work is ok!

:hug8:

rockoko

Squawk and Meow!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Martine
Misty big eyes!!! :heart: glad to hear her bloodwork is normal!! :dance4:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I am glad about the bloodwork!

Matt

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
me too, but it was monday not yesterday! time just flew!:rofl:
too bad i have to wait a whole another month to crush anymore pills! that was so much fun!!
though i did buy some giant green multivitamins for myself from the hfs.....maybe i should crush one a day and mix it in a smoothie....horrible thought actually :eek:
maybe i can just crush pieces of chalk....:dance5::dance5::dance5::rofl:

ortegah

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Heather Ortega
Awesome! I'm glad it was so easy! Oh and the interceptor is liver flavored typically so they should like the scent of it. As for issues with the medication, that's the one heartworm med that has the least reactions as far as I know. I know that for shelties we have to be careful what we give them in heartworm meds and the only one that's really recommended is interceptor, so I'd say that your cats should be just fine with it.

Thugluvgrl187

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Miriam
So glad that you were able to give them their meds with no problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.