• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

AA SWS - Great Foraging Treats-Palm Nuts & Pandanus Kernels

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
If you go to my website there are a lot of pictures of the various nuts showing them whole, partially exposed and then cut exposing the meat of the nut. Here is a pic with a variety. 20180320_180852.jpg

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Made my order :dance55:

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
Ordered the Canaries and a sample pack! I will put some out for everyone to see what they do.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
Ordered the Canaries and a sample pack! I will put some out for everyone to see what they do.
I would love to see how your flock fares! I don't think Sherbie (Lovebird) would be interested, but Rupert (GCC) might.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I would love to see how your flock fares! I don't think Sherbie (Lovebird) would be interested, but Rupert (GCC) might.
My budgies have gnawed through dragonwood before, so I am confident in their ability to chew through anything that catches their attention. :wideyed: I think they will go for it if I pre-cut them. Giacomo will have to be convinced there is something yummy to be had.. Ciany will check them out if I hang them, I think. We'll see! I can certainly find a way to make use of them even if they snub them at first.

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sadie
My budgies have gnawed through dragonwood before, so I am confident in their ability to chew through anything that catches their attention. :wideyed: I think they will go for it if I pre-cut them. Giacomo will have to be convinced there is something yummy to be had.. Ciany will check them out if I hang them, I think. We'll see! I can certainly find a way to make use of them even if they snub them at first.
Holy cow! When I had Budgies, they went for thin pine, but nothing tougher than that! Wow!

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
If you go to my website there are a lot of pictures of the various nuts showing them whole, partially exposed and then cut exposing the meat of the nut. Here is a pic with a variety. View attachment 275254

Are the red ones under the quarter the ripe foxtail or the larger round red ones?

foxtails seem to have shreddable fibers & alot of meat & look like the can be gnawed better.

Was reading Foxtail palm is native to Australia...Wonder I couldplant a foxtail seed?

Guess this is not a foxtail palm since they shed the leaves? We've since had the dead fronds cut off. Wonder what kind?
Some trees on the property are close to 100 years old & this palm is very tall..at least 50 feet or perhaps 75
nook34.jpg

Think its a MExican Fan

The Mexican fan palm, Washingtonia robusta – Botany Boy

Last edited: