• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

AA SWS - Great Foraging Treats-Palm Nuts & Pandanus Kernels

camelotshadow

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
View attachment 274847 View attachment 274845
BIRDMANDAN.COM is having a sale for the AA SWS of 20% off all products ordered during the SWS.
Canary Island Palm Nuts, Foxtail Palm Nuts, Queen Palm Nuts, Fan Palm Nuts and Pandanus Kernels

View attachment 274849 View attachment 274850 View attachment 274853 View attachment 274851 View attachment 274852

Well Rio CBC does not like nuts...but may try some with Penny my (hopefully this sunday) hawkhead as they sound interesting but I'll have to look into them...

BirdManDan

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Dan
There is a great video where you can see some parrots eating palm nuts on YouTube here. This was posted by the cozynestbox but she is no longer in business but her videos are great.

redindiaink

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
I couldn't find shipping information on your site. Can you ship the palm nuts to Canada?

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
I couldn't find shipping information on your site. Can you ship the palm nuts to Canada?
The shipping info should be in the shopping area not on the price list.

Yes we can ship to Canada but there is an additional fee charged by the Post Office. I would have to get the quote from our P.O. once you know what the order is that you want to place. Email me what you want to order and I'll get you a quote to ship to Canada.

Bigdanthebirdman@gmail.com

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
What palm nuts are available as it says subject to availability?

I never knew those things hanging from the palm trees were so interesting to birds.

We do have alot of palm trees in CA just not sure which is which & the nuts are HIGH!!!

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
Fan looks like a brazil nut meat inside?

What is pandanus//looks like corn

How long will the palm nuts last? Are they all frozen?

I think Penny would like the fox tail...

HH likes a queen palm !

Last edited:

camelotshadow

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Christine
I'm trying well Penny will try the foxtail palm nuts & maybe Rio might like them too!!!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I am guessing your products are all for big birds. My budgies would not eat those. Sorry......................

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Buggies would be small. I recommend caique, sunnies or larger. I haven't had small birds for many years so I haven't had the need for looking into small palm nuts but fthere is a market for them I could look into it. There are plenty of palms that have small pea sized fruit like the areca, robellini, royal, carpentaria, saw palmetto and others that start off small that could be harvested early. If anyone is interested PM me and if there is enough interest I could start carrying small palm nuts. I wouldn't mind sending some out to 3-4 AA members that have several small birds to see how they are received by the flocks if they wouldn't mind covering the postage. PM me and let me know what you all think! The first 3-4 that have several birds that PM me and express an interest in covering postage I'll put on a list, if the overall interest warrants the time and effort to carry small palm nuts.

BirdManDan

Real Name
Dan
Fan looks like a brazil nut meat inside?

What is pandanus//looks like corn

How long will the palm nuts last? Are they all frozen?

I think Penny would like the fox tail...

HH likes a queen palm !
I harvest as orders come in when palm nuts are available. I only freeze when season is ending so I can supply future orders. Palm nuts and pandans freeze well for up a year with no effect on quality or aste due to the high oil content. I only ship out on Mondays thru Wednesday since priority mail says it will arrive in 2-3 days. I don't want to risk the nuts sitting in a hot truck or warehouse over the weekend. Right now everything is freshly available with the exception of Christmas palm nuts.

To get your fidd's started on palm nuts and pandans kernels just cut a couple in halt to reveal the palm nuts. The nut in the PANDANUS kernels are odd shaped but the birds love the outer fibrous later as it is sweet smelling.

suileeka

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lindsay
I think the hardness of the nut will matter more than size with small birds.. which nuts have a softer shell that is chewy and can be gnawed through rather than needing a powerful beak to get into?