• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A typical day at the birdie water park

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deej

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Deena
With it being SO hot outside the last week or so :marlenesmile:, we make sure to put out big bowls of water along with our feeders for our outside flock. :) We decided last week that they needed more than just the bowls of water to keep cool, so we added the sprinkler and the blue top to one of our storage bins to make a birdie pool :bathtime:. It has been a hit, and we have a wet, cool flock in the front yard. Thought I would share some pictures of *our* guys enjoying the water. :starshower:

Attachments

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Palm Coast, FL. Carioca'55 when RJ was in GB.
Real Name
Sandra
I love it - we could almost be the same house. I have a "regular" birdbath on a pedestal in the back and I've been changing the water in the a.m. and p.m. I also have a small water bowl in the front garden under a tree so the birds don't have to worry about hawks as much.

I added a bowl in the back garden towards the bottom of the property for the red tail hawks though I didn't really think they'd go for it. Well, they did! It was funny to see a juvenile red tail trying to fit into a bowl of water that was maybe12" across, so I was able to find a larger one which he also liked but was still too small. So Now I have a small kiddie pool (as well as the former bowl just in case) and am waiting to se if the hawks will use it. It's somewhat funny and sad to see a hawk that is waaaay to big trying to have a bath in a smal bowl but I was happy to know that they were at least coming down for water and would just stand in the bowl if they couldn't fit to have a bath.

Thursday, which was the scorcher here, I came home to find both bowls bone dry and the bird bath down to maybe half an inch if that, refreshed everything and repeated in the morning. This a.m. I noticed bunnies in the front garden by the water bowl and the big water bowl at the bottom of the garden was bone dry again so I guess the word is out about water here. I feel bad for the many black birds of different species because they must really be feeling this heat. :(

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
They seem very happy to get relief from the heat!

Matt

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
:hehe: So cute & thoughtful. We have outside water too, but no great pictures.

ps. The ducks are moving in :eek: :D

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
that's awesome!!:starshower:

Deej

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Deena
The ducks come every morning early and then right at dusk!! They have been coming every day for about a month now. :D They are officially "Momma and Poppa". I know, so original but we didn't know they were going to be here so long. We are just honored that they chose our house to call their own special rest area. :heart:

Birdiemarie

Feather Snuggler
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Marie
Look at all those grateful birdies! That's terrific! :laughing12:

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
The ducks come every morning early and then right at dusk!! They have been coming every day for about a month now. :D They are officially "Momma and Poppa". I know, so original but we didn't know they were going to be here so long. We are just honored that they chose our house to call their own special rest area. :heart:
In one of the houses we lived in, a par of mallards would show up every spring - our elderly neighbours called them Buster and Babs and we went with that. They'd eat bird seed we'd put out under the tree and we had a small basin of water that they could "duck" into.

Parrotadise

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Lisa
you are wonderful and thoughtful :highfive:

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
That is so thoughtful, and what fun to watch!

SandraK

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Sandra
It was always fun to watch them come waddling through, checking under plants and things like that and once they figured out there was always bird seed under the tree and we had put the basin closer to the fence at the bottomof the garden so they could "duck" without having to "worry" about anyone bothering them.

At the time we had a Basset hound, Hunny, who slept through a squirrel running over her so she was no threat to Buster & Babs.:D

Status
Not open for further replies.