• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Things for Wings Christmas Rescue Rehome Story

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Oh no! Was it frozen :(
I was teasing her!
I told her that I will put a fish in the barrel so she would have to rescue it and then Pip would have a friend!

SamatranTiger

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
May 2017 photo of Pip :)
Pip has come a long way since I brought him home about a year and a half ago! He's holding at 6 3/4" from nose to tip of tail so I don't foresee him getting any larger than he is now.

PipMay2017.jpg

A reminder of what he looked like the day I brought him home...massive difference!
Pip4.jpg

EkkieLuv

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Leslie
Nice!! Pip looks great! We had several "Pips" growing up that lived in our stock tank... if I recall they will grow according to the size of their environment?? Either way - Pip sure lucked into a sweet tank!

SamatranTiger

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Nice!! Pip looks great! We had several "Pips" growing up that lived in our stock tank... if I recall they will grow according to the size of their environment?? Either way - Pip sure lucked into a sweet tank!
No, fish do not grow to the size of their tank as has been commonly stated. There are numerous factors that affect growth rate and in general the tank size is not one of them. An inadequately sized tank may stunt growth but at this point the fish has ultimately outgrown the tank. Pip's growth was severely stunted from living in unfavorable conditions and severe malnutrition for 3 years. He would never grow to be full size regardless of tank size and an 80 gallon like he's currently in is enough space to accommodate the full growth of one comet.

Pip currently lives under the most ideal conditions possible for a goldfish and I pay a pretty penny for it in electricity every month! :laugh:

AvianCrew

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
michelle
He's a survivor!

SamatranTiger

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I was finally ready to get Pip another friend after the passing of Blu and on June 29 (coincidently the same day I got Blu last year), I picked up a Wakin Goldfish who was being rehomed due to his conformation not being exactly that of a Wakin - his tail is a bit longer which slowed him down and made him less able to compete for food with the other wakins in the pond.

He was in quarantine for a good month before going in the tank with Pip and it was only until closer to the end of quarantine did I finally settle on a 3 letter name - Poe!

Poe is a good example of why one should never buy a young goldfish or goldfish in general solely based on coloration for his color transformation has been quite spectacular! So without further ado, this is Pip's buddy Poe!

June 29, 2017
CSC_1393(760).jpg

July 8, 2017
CSC_1391(760).jpg

July 23, 2017
CSC_1531(760).jpg

November 17, 2017
CSC_2165(760).jpg

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Wow! Cool colour changes!

Charity921

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charity
We also kept goldfish in our horse troughs when I was a kid. We lived in Louisiana, and it was the only way to keep the mosquitos under control. We had them set up with automatic taps, to keep them full at all times, and the troughs were probably 150gal or more.

Charity921

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Charity
This story was amazing! So glad that Pip found such a wonderful home. I'm sorry for Blu's loss, but Poe is a beautiful addition to the family!

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Poe is beautiful but we need new pictures if Pip.

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Tell us how the two get along!

Its so cute :)

KimKim

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
More pics in the tank please :aquarium:
I heard goldfish lose their color/s if the water gets to warm :chin:

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
I was finally ready to get Pip another friend after the passing of Blu and on June 29 (coincidently the same day I got Blu last year), I picked up a Wakin Goldfish who was being rehomed due to his conformation not being exactly that of a Wakin - his tail is a bit longer which slowed him down and made him less able to compete for food with the other wakins in the pond.

Wow! I'm glad Pip will get a friend! They are both gorgeous and it looks like you are taking great care of them

SamatranTiger

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
More pics in the tank please :aquarium:
I heard goldfish lose their color/s if the water gets to warm :chin:
Color changes in goldfish are largely due to genetics being either physiological or morphological. Water temperature to my knowledge does not affect color but water quality and light intensity could - Poor water quality and low light may dull the color of a goldfish. I've heard that water hardness may also influence color changes or at the very least intensification but I'm not 100% sure of the validity of this. Supposedly harder water may enhance goldfish color which would make sense seeing as though goldfish prefer harder water thus I'd say this has to do with water quality/parameters. Temperature affects the metabolism of a goldfish - warmer water increases metabolism whereas colder water slows it down.

I have a 1/4Hp JBJ Arctica chiller running on the tank which is essentially a stupidly expensive AC unit for an aquarium so no warm water for my goldies! If I remember correctly, I paid $1100 for it!!! Worth every penny though.

The color changes you're seeing in Poe are genetics (morphological)

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I love Poe!