• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Things for Wings Christmas Rescue Rehome Story

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Back in September we had to move o_O and move o_O and move o_O

Husband was clearing off our balcony and bringing everything to our house!!

We had some water features there, a waterfall, a big barrel of water that had a stone in the middle and a couple of little things.

The dogs :dog4::dog4: Izzy and Ellie, especially loved the barrel!!!

They would ONLY drink out of that, or the toilet. It was so dry last summer that the water dried up and it was just yucky brick water, I wouldn't let them touch it :wideyed:

Of course we had to bring the barrel with us to the house!! They needed their big drinking bowl.

It was so heavy, all the water had to be poured out :glare: by Mr. T4W

As he was pouring it out, to his surprise, out came a fish!!! A black fish!!! :fish2: Mr. T4W had to hurry :run:and catch him, put him back in the barrel
:think1:

Now what? Bring the fish to the new house of course, we couldn't just dump him. :float:

So, Mr. T4W broke his back bringing the barrel full of water to the house, saving that :fish2:

I never had a fish before, so I thought, ~well, he lived this long in there, in that awful brick water, he must be eating something, I don't want to mess up and have him die!~~

Every day I walked by the barrel and felt :darkcloud: that poor fish :fish2: But he must be okay, right? :chin:

My mind is a sieve, I thought I had told the Wingettes about lonely fish. It was getting so cold here. One day I vocalized my concern about the fish to one of the Wingettes!

She was all like :omg: :omg: you never told me!!!
:cry3: She was horrified!
Then I was all.....:cry: now what? Wingette asked ~~Did you tell Wingette2?~~~ @SamatranTiger :D
NO, I didn't!
Tell her she said!!!!

I :ran: to FB and said "Wingette, we have a fish here, we need fish food, STAT"
:sos::sorrow:

It didn't dawn on me the gravity of the situation!

Wingette2 @SamatranTiger :D came early with fish food in hand and plans to rescue fish.
:evilgrin: now said fish :fish2: is someone else's problem.:dance55:

Apparently Wingette2 @SamatranTiger is a fish fan!?!?!?!
So, off she troops home with a :fish2: in a bag

Now, I just sit back and watch
:popcorn2:
Her friend brought a little tank that night and :fish3: sat there.

What kind of fish is it? :shrug:

:reading:

A comet fish!!!

How did the fish get in the barrel :shrug:

Maybe when we had a plant in the barrel, 3 or so years ago, there was an egg on it?!?!

How did fish live that long in a big dog drink bowl? He must have been so :scared3: and :sad1: all the time :cry:

What should we name fish? :chin:
@JosienBB suggested PIP of course after a T4W thing :)

How much should Wingette2 @SamatranTiger spend on Pip??
LOTS and LOTS and LOTS!!!
:aquarium:

PIP now has a giant tank, waterfalls, good food, and he is a happy GOLD FISH :fish1: not black fish

Maybe @SamatranTiger will share some pics of the famous Pip, if you ask nice.

Three :cheer: for @SamatranTiger for coming to the rescue!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

Peachfaced

The Peachy Inkpress
JOLLY-PATROLLY
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Sadie
:eek: I hate to be the bearer of bad puns, but that sounds like a fish story (totally improbable). Holy mackerel!

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Yeah, Pip apparently is quite a character!
He waits for people to come up the stairs, watches for them. He swims back and forth, back and forth, really fast!
He had to learn how to eat, because, well, he never ate fish food before. She bought him special sinking fish food.
She says he is a weird fish lol
I guess because he never has been a fish, or seen people or anything!

@SamatranTiger share all your fish stories with the Pip fans!
:D

Danita

Ripping up the road
Super Administrator
Chief Beak
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Danita
Oh, and her mom didn't want her to have ANOTHER pet, so she tried to find him a good home on CL, well, we know how that goes, its an epic fail as always. What if he goes to a pond and gets eaten, or is taken as feeder fish :cry:
We were so worried!
There was no home good enough for Pip, so he got the best home a goldfish could have!

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
Wow! That is amazing! I can't wait to see this miracle fish, Pip. So awesome!

SamatranTiger

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
Long story short, I was an aquarium hobbyist for many years and had a 46 gallon bow front aquarium that housed goldfish. After my last goldfish passed away, I was positive that I would not get another. My tank sat vacant for many years before I could bring myself to part with it which is what I did earlier this year. I sold my lovely aquarium and all aquarium supplies in January. So when Pip came along, I took him home with the intention of fostering him until I could find him a good and permanent home. A friend of mine let me borrow one of her spare tanks to house him during this time. Well, I had several people respond to my Craigslist post about him but I turned everyone down. I have high standards and Pip stole my heart pretty quickly so it didn't take me long to realize that he was here to stay. But that meant starting from square one as I had nothing to properly house a fish long term! So begins the process.

Pip's temporary 5 gallon tank borrowed from a friend of mine
Pip4.jpg

Pip's permanent home is now a 72 gallon bow front aquarium
It's a work in progress...still lots to add but this will do for now as he has all the necessities! Just to get to this point has cost me a good $800. Aquariums and canister filters are expensive...his canister filter alone was $200!
Aquarium.jpg

He has a remote controlled LED light but I almost always keep the light on white (not pictured). Lol
Aquarium(1).jpg

What do I feed Pippi? Well, the best of the best of course! I feed him Repashy Soilent Green and Saki-Hiarki Fancy Goldfish which is definitely helping to bring out his true color!
Food.jpg

And of course here's what you've all been waiting for...here's the newest (and LAST) addition to my family...Pip (aka. Pippi)!
Pip1.jpg

Pip2.jpg

Pip3.jpg

Last edited:

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
OMG! This story is amazing and hilarious! Danita, how long do you think Pip was living in that barrel in your backyard? I can't believe he's still alive and yep, he's one lucky little guy to have been found and then to land in such a wonderful home! Go Pipi go!

VictoriaVague

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Vikki
Pip is one lucky little guy. What a story!