• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A suprise female Eclectus appeared

lotus15

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Coco
Hi Merv, gorgeous pair of Ekkies you have! It sounds like you've gotten some great advice so far but just wanted to reiterate how important slow introductions are and absolutely separate cages. Sounds like it's too late to do a proper quarantine now, but at minimum they should be in separate cages. First, the one cage in the background of the photos looks way too small for two Ekkies, and second, I'm sure your male doesn't appreciate his territory being invaded by this newcomer. Given that quarantine and introductions seem like they are new for you, it sounds like you might want to hold off on the breeding for a long while, and take some time to really do a lot more research. Breeding is a very very serious endeavor that is a ton of work and a LOT can go wrong. Aside from the expense of start up, especially if you are taking on another pair of Ekkies, there are also the dangers of the health issues that can be associated in breeding females.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
Ok, sorry. Don’t listen to me, lol. I know nothing about Eclectus parrots. But I still think it’s something to be careful about in the future. If you’re planning on breeding them in the future, do a lot of research and make sure you are ready for the commitment.
I didn't mean to upset you, I just wanted to point out that the female is definitely not mature yet. You can tell because her beak is still turning from the yellow to black.

I sent the picture of the boy and the girl over to David Skidmore who has been breeding Ekkies for a really long time and he said the female is a Solomon Island Eclectus (SIE). He couldn't tell the male by this picture. If you got some more pictures of him (head and tail feathers) he might be able to tell. He said the beak doesn't completely change over until about a year so he said that June of 2017 is probably about right. Guess it's been too long since I've had a baby!:) He said she's definitely under a year.

Merv

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Martin
@lotus15 That cage too small? I doubt that honestly, its 150x110x200. I thought that when you put two parrots in the same cage they should both be able to stretch their wings at the same time, which they easily can. Unless they both sit next to each other in some corner or something.
Also i know about not putting them in the same cage right away, but it all happend a little fast and i just did not had a spare cage at the time. Would have been smarter to perhaps wait taking her in untill i had my spare cage i agree.. But i guess i was misled by their behavior together outside of the cage. Especially since my male ekkie did not care about b&g macaw entering his cage sometimes (not my macaw).
As far as breeding goes, trust me i am well informed and aware of all the risks, i understand the concern people have about this matter but really, i know.. Sorry if i come of as a noob, i find it hard to find the right words to explain things in english :)
Right now i have a shed in my garden which i transformed into a breeding area with 2 nestboxes, so she can choose. i also understand that females breed all year around and that its bad for them if i allow her to do that.

@jmfleish
Thanks! Good to know which one she is, now i know which weight chart to look at!
Also my male is 100% sure a red-sided, so no need for checking but thanks again!

By the way..
I know now why they were fighting. Not becouse the female invaded his space but becouse he would not stop preening her. He just keeps on going untill she gets upset about it and then she attacks. His reaction to that still varies...
I've been watching them all day now and i'm 100% sure this is the problem. they can eat both at the same time without any trouble, chew on the same piece of wood, all good... but then he starts preening her again, and its just too much, she doesnt like it..
Well i'm glad that this is the problem becouse this is something he can learn and adjust too in time.
For now seperate cages next to each other untill he can behave in a way she can tolerate.

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
I didn't mean to upset you, I just wanted to point out that the female is definitely not mature yet. You can tell because her beak is still turning from the yellow to black.

I sent the picture of the boy and the girl over to David Skidmore who has been breeding Ekkies for a really long time and he said the female is a Solomon Island Eclectus (SIE). He couldn't tell the male by this picture. If you got some more pictures of him (head and tail feathers) he might be able to tell. He said the beak doesn't completely change over until about a year so he said that June of 2017 is probably about right. Guess it's been too long since I've had a baby!:) He said she's definitely under a year.
I know that was not your intention at all, and I did not mean to sound upset. It’s honestly all good! :) I was just pointing out that I literally know very little about Ekkies and your advice and help is better than mine, as you sound experienced with the species.

Chopper

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mary lynn Snowman
My girl hatched October 2017 beak looks like that and she is not weaned. My male hatched June 2017 takes formula a little each day still.

Merv

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Martin
Hm, things seem pretty peacefull now. My male is still scared but there is no fighting, the female seems way less agressive now. She keeps following my male everywhere he goes. They share the same (open) cage at daytime becouse they'll both climb in the same cage so thats going a lot better too, still keeping them seperated without supervision untill my male is not scared anymore..