• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A suprise female Eclectus appeared

Merv

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Martin
I've got a female eclectus now.
Here's why;
My friend had a female ekkie, and also lots of dogs.
Dogs and bird made each other crazy.
Both way to loud and neighbours complaining..
Friend knows i love birds.
Friend gives me eclectus.
Yay!?

I've been wanting a female eclectus for a while now, and now finally that dream has come true!(For free :D !!)
My friend did not want to just sell the bird to some stranger becouse he really likes the bird so he asked me if i was interested. Well needless to say, i was.

So i introduced the lady to the man of the house.. He instantly froze...
freeze.png
He sat like this for 2 minutes without any movement, i tried poking him to unfreeze him but no response..
In the upcoming hour they've been interacting with each other and seemed to accept each others company.
So i just let them sit together on my monitor as i was playing some video games and all was good.
Then i needed to get something from the store, so i put them in the cage so i could leave the house...
Just as i closed the front door i heard a loud screaming coming from the bird room. so i went and see what was going on, and found them both fighting.

So i've been observing them for a while in and outside the cage to see why they might have been fighting but i cant figure out why exactly.
I do notice that the femal is pretty agressive when eating, like totally nuts crazy. I cant even come near the side of the cage when she's eating becouse she'll start throwing her beak against the bars of the cage.
But outside of the cage she's a wonderfull bird and really likes cuddles.

Any advice?

Together.png

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I would house them separately for a while until they get used to each other (maybe permanently?) and only allow them to interact outside of the cage. She seems defensive and you want this to be a positive change for both of them. Let them go a their own pace and hopefully they'll become friends before you know it.

Merv

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Martin
I would house them separately for a while until they get used to each other (maybe permanently?) and only allow them to interact outside of the cage. She seems defensive and you want this to be a positive change for both of them. Let them go a their own pace and hopefully they'll become friends before you know it.
Yea i was thinking about that, but the problem is i dont have a seperate cage for tonight.. Maybe i can let my male out for this night and hope that he won't destroy everything..

MeganC

Sprinting down the street
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Megan
You definitely need separate cages for them at least for now. My two needed separate cages when I first got Yuki because they would occasionally squabble. I cage them together now because they are bonded, though they still have access to both cages.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So cute!

Merv

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Martin
Last night i did put them in the same cage, but i slept on the cough so i'd hear if anything was wrong.
Nothing happened, in fact not even at day time.
But i'm pretty sure its becouse my male is scared of her now. i think it has something to do with the fight.
He just avoids her whenever outside of the cage.
Today i'm getting the other cage so i can at least keep them out of each others territory for a while.
Last night i could not get the cage becouse it was too late already..

But as i said, my male is scared now. What is the best aproach on that? i've never seen him scared of another bird before not even macaws.

The female is doing very well in her new home, she's a little scared of me sometimes (faster heart beat) but once with me she'll just sit on my arm untill i put her somewhere else.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
All you can do is start over. :shrug2: Give her some time to get used to her new home again. Let her initiate any interaction with you (and with him, but only if he's ready). They've both been through some trauma now; his home was invaded and then he was attacked, she has just been uprooted from her home and is surrounded by strangers. It may take a little longer not only go back to square one, but to now overcome the negative experience but it will be worth it. What's important is you're correcting course and by not rushing things, you'll see that you'll get better results. :) Bird time is so much slower than people time.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
She's a baby, so she's probably not going to hurt him. The females are the dominant ones in this species and the males are generally the ones who are afraid of the females and the females can be quite temperamental. So, I'd watch out more to see how she treats him, although he could also do damage to her. Just take it slowly and see what happens. Electus also do not mate for life. They are one of the few species that don't. Do you have any idea what sub-species each bird is? Do you have any plans of breeding? Also, Ekkies can get very aggressive over their food, especially if it's food they really like!:)

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
Yes, keep them separate. You cannot put another new bird in a current bird’s home and leave them alone like that. To your male Eclectus you have just thrown a stranger inside of HIS home, or safe place. I’d honestly be really surprised if they had gotten along and stayed like that.

Unless you want baby Eclectus parrots, it’s important that you keep them separate anyways, except for supervised out-of-cage time. Otherwise, they can and will breed. And before you know it, you will end up with a whole family of Eclectus parrots! Whew.

All I have to say other than that is you’ve got some adorable birdies, and I’m glad you, an experienced Eclectus owner, were able to help out your neighbor and provide the bird with a loving home. :)

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
The female is not of breeding age. She's 16 to 17 weeks at best...her beak hasn't even changed over to the full black color so you don't have to worry about getting babies. Honestly, I'm surprised she's weaned. She might be a bit older if she's a Red Sided which she may be due to the tail feathers not having a yellow stripe on them. I can't remember which sub-species doesn't have the yellow stripe in the tail and it might just be something that comes in as an adult. You'd have to look it up, but she's definitely fairly young. This is the best time for her to accept other birds but I definitely wouldn't push things.

Merv

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Martin
Alright i'll keep them seperated for a while then.
I've had plans on getting a female some day and perhaps breed with them so i do really want them to get along.
The female is from june 2017.
My male is a new guinea, also known as red sided.
And i think the female is too but i'm not sure...
Her color blue is not purple-ish but just plain dark blue. her tail is all red, but the tips do seem to be a little bit brigther but not yellow or orange. It does seem like she will have a blue circle around her eye but now its just barely visible.

I also noticed that she is smaller compared to my male. and much lighter, she weighs 360gr, and my male 415gr. I've read that the females are the heavier ones.

jmfleish

Cruising the avenue
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jen
I find it really hard to believe that female was hatched in June of 2017. Do you mind if I borrow the picture and share it with a breeder of Eclectus? He can probably tell you the sub-species as well.

Merv

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Martin
Btw i was also doubtfull about her age, but i've never seen a female eclectus before and assumed they just develop a little slower perhaps?

SquawksNibbles

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Kiera
The female is not of breeding age. She's 16 to 17 weeks at best...her beak hasn't even changed over to the full black color so you don't have to worry about getting babies. Honestly, I'm surprised she's weaned. She might be a bit older if she's a Red Sided which she may be due to the tail feathers not having a yellow stripe on them. I can't remember which sub-species doesn't have the yellow stripe in the tail and it might just be something that comes in as an adult. You'd have to look it up, but she's definitely fairly young. This is the best time for her to accept other birds but I definitely wouldn't push things.
Ok, sorry. Don’t listen to me, lol. I know nothing about Eclectus parrots. But I still think it’s something to be careful about in the future. If you’re planning on breeding them in the future, do a lot of research and make sure you are ready for the commitment.

Merv

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Martin
Ok, sorry. Don’t listen to me, lol. I know nothing about Eclectus parrots. But I still think it’s something to be careful about in the future. If you’re planning on breeding them in the future, do a lot of research and make sure you are ready for the commitment.
I've been thinking about breeding for a pretty long time now and i know what i might get into. for the past 7 months or so i've been preparing for potential breeding with another couple of ekkies that might arrive within the next 3 months!
And these that i have now are both still young so it'll probably take a while before they get to 'business' :)