• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A strange story...

Finn

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Finn
My mom recently had heart surgery and has to walk a lot to keep blood clots from happening, so I normally walk with her. Last night, we walked past a young kitten that seemed very friendly. It walked over to us and we petted it for a while, but as we walked off, it followed us. My mom tried to put it back where we had found it multiple times, but it kept following us and meowing. It then ran out into the middle of the road while a car was coming and stood there meowing for me. The car (luckily) stopped, I picked up the cat, and went home. It has no collar, no tags, nothing, so I assume it's a stray or maybe a dumped pet since it's so friendly. Anyways, I gave him some food and he ate it very quickly. He acted like he hadn't eaten in a day or two, poor little guy :( There's no lost cat signs around here, nor are there posts about a lost cat. Unless he's someone else's, I'm going to keep him :D He's very relaxed and friendly. He even lets me pet his belly. I've named him Tofu :)

The only weird thing is that I was looking at cat treats a few hours before I found him and was wishing I could get a cat someday.....

Aubrey

Biking along the boulevard
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If he's a stray, be very very careful with the kitty around your birds. He may have been hunting some wild birds to eat.

You could also take him to any vet and have them scan him for a chip to make sure he's not someone's pet.

But I'm glad you are enjoying your new kitty :)

Finn

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Finn
If he's a stray, be very very careful with the kitty around your birds. He may have been hunting some wild birds to eat.

You could also take him to any vet and have them scan him for a chip to make sure he's not someone's pet.

But I'm glad you are enjoying your new kitty :)

Yep! :D I'm keeping him away from the birds so they're okay.
I'm probably taking him to the vet on Monday, since he probably needs a rabies shot anyways.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
It is possible to have cats and birds as well, but you must be very careful to make sure the cat has no opportunity to hurt a bird. The cat will only be doing what comes naturally to him. Good luck with your new kitty.

Have your kitty checked for feline aids, feline leukemia and for the usual URI kittens get when they are loose on the run. Get the rabies, distemper three way and the FIP vaccines as well. You want to keep the cat for as long as possible and it will help if you know the cat is really healthy.

Finn

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Finn
It is possible to have cats and birds as well, but you must be very careful to make sure the cat has no opportunity to hurt a bird. The cat will only be doing what comes naturally to him. Good luck with your new kitty.

Have your kitty checked for feline aids, feline leukemia and for the usual URI kittens get when they are loose on the run. Get the rabies, distemper three way and the FIP vaccines as well. You want to keep the cat for as long as possible and it will help if you know the cat is really healthy.

Yeah, we're taking him to the vet ASAP. He's been eating and drinking well and has warmed up to his new place well. The birds are kept away from him, so no worries :D I also have to get him checked for a microchip/microchipped if he doesn't have one.

echobird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ash
Make sure to neuter him as well! A neutered cat is always more laid back and less inclined to hunt than an unaltered one. In the first year or two they are usually very prey driven. Introducing him to the birds in the right way is key to making sure he doesn't view them as simply 'birds' but family pets. My cat views the birds as my pets and knows he's going to get scolded for even looking at them the wrong way. Of course, if you have a cat with a high prey drive they can't usually help it if they see the birds flapping about. Their instinct kicks in so be very careful!

Good luck!

Oh, and I'd love to see pictures of the cutie!

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa