• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Softer Landing

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Someone suggested it, and I did see where this is needed. So I lined the bottom of Yuna's cage with a blanket, then paper. If she slips, which she does sometimes, this will make a softer landing. Yuna only has one foot. She does great, but does have some challenges climbing and grabbing. I am working on adjusting things and making life easier for her.

thanks mom:)

:swoon:

merlinsmom13

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Becky
Looks great, but I bet you won't need it. She probably doesnt realize she's handicapped :) She's looking great :highfive:

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
It sounds like a great safe plan for her! She is looking much better!

Matt

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Looks great, but I bet you won't need it. She probably doesnt realize she's handicapped :) She's looking great :highfive:
Thank you Becky.:hug8:She does go thud to the bottom sometimes. That's a long way to drop onto her keel bone. Which is still protruding. I think it is a wise choice.:)

It sounds like a great safe plan for her! She is looking much better!

Matt
Thank you Matt.:hug8:

Greycloud

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Great idea Carole! She is a lucky girl to have a caring momma!:heart:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thank you Judy!:hug8:

AmberMuffinz

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Awesome. I have a folded blanket in my cockatiel cage too, they've fallen a couple times and I feel better knowing there's a soft landing, so I can definitely understand the need for it! Yuna is such a lucky girl now.

Leza

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Annaleza
I do the same thing for wyatt, he is just a clutz so i dont know if and when he will fall, its nice that the bottom has a little "give" to catch them. :)

Mythreeiggys

Hit the Road
Real Name
Danielle
I'm in the process of reconstructing a cage for Sophie (Meyers) due to her disability. I love the idea of having a soft landing since she falls a lot also :)

Sadieladie1994

Riding the Skies
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Peggy
Dog crate foam pads are great also. The have the outer cover which wipes off easy and are very soft. Newspaper lays fine over these pads.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
sounds like a good idea!. glad she's doing so well :heart::dance5::laughing12: dr. b.'s grey has one foot with no toes and one "stub", "nub", whatever you want to call it and she gets around beautifully. she's in the large kings 506 cage and has platform perches all over the sides and door of the cage and just flies back and forth and up and down. she has no trouble climbing around with her "thighs of steel". does not slow her down a bit. on the bottom on top of the grate is a shallow box they made that's probably 3x2 that has newspaper in it with dridek on top. DriDek Brooder Bedding we also use the dridek on her corner perches and these prevue hendryx ones that are on the sides Prevue Hendryx Wire Patio Sundeck 12 inch . the dridek is awesom. i use it for everything. on the bottom of the cage for foot toys, over the food dish holders to make platform perches. bottom of travel carrier (they can grip it so no falling off the perch) in the sink for giving my dogs a bath....yeah, clearly i love the stuff:lol: Best part is that you can just pop it in the dishwasher and put another set back in the cage. bacteria and fungus resistant, super easy to clean-the poop pretty much rinses off, has pebbled teeth on the bottom so droppings drain through. i highly recommend trying some. super cheap and since the squares are 12x12 you could even get a bigger shelf if you wanted.

gibsongrrrl

Courtney Lou Hoo
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Courtney Lou Hoo
here's a pic of her box on the bottom. not the best, but you can get the idea
191299_10150418730700461_1707519_o.jpg and here's a bad, but funny, pic that shows one of her shelf perches. this one is on the feeder bowl holders and she has a big one that i think it's just a coated shelf for diy/home use. nice landing platform for inside or outside of the cage
1213111259a.jpg

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
that is a great idea .......unfortunately, it will not work in Maxwell's cage as he cannot perch at all...I am very happy for you that Yuna can perch...she does great considering her handicap..I am so happy you are in h er life:heart:

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
My only concern with this dri-dek stuff is it says "resists mold and bacterial growths" That is a concern, as I wonder if it is treated with chemicals? It looks great!! Thanks for the pics and idea. Maybe I can contact them and ask.

waterfaller1

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
carole
Thanks for the kind words.:hug8:

Status
Not open for further replies.