• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Senegal as a pet?

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
I've been looking into Senegal parrots. To me it seems they are pretty laid back and can handle not being the centre of attention.
My ideal bird would be a lot like a ringneck dove; affectionate, happy to sit on your shoulder while you work, but not demanding and preferably generally quiet. Really just a dove, but a bit more intelligent and maybe longer lived. Would a Senegal fit this description from anyone's personal experience? If not what?
The ideal parrot would have a lifespan of around thirty years, but more or less isn't an issue.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
:bump4:

Ribbit21

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Keri
Sounds like you are looking for a Dove and not a parrot. A Senegal is nothing like a Dove. They can be demanding, one-person birds. Yes, they are longer lived than a Dove, but with that long life and intelligence you are also getting hormones, complicated attitudes and pretty much all the "troubles" that comes with parrots. Even my most calm and content parrot is nothing like a dove.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
As said above, a Senny is nothing like a Dove, and never, ever should tou expect "something like" either!
Senegals are noisy, demanding, hormonal and downright impossible to live eith at times!

That said.. do your homework, read, listen, look at Senegals and their behavior, and you will find them to be one of the best birds on earth :) i couldnt possibly imagine my life without my 2 little pea's anymore :)

NOOOOPE.. nothing like a dove ;) and i had tropical doves, turkish doves (grey with a ringneck) and even pidgeons! But now, i could never imagine what i liked about them.. they are so quiet, so.. not full of life like my parrots are! :)

IsaDa18

Strolling the yard
As said above, a Senny is nothing like a Dove, and never, ever should tou expect "something like" either!
Senegals are noisy, demanding, hormonal and downright impossible to live eith at times!

That said.. do your homework, read, listen, look at Senegals and their behavior, and you will find them to be one of the best birds on earth :) i couldnt possibly imagine my life without my 2 little pea's anymore :)

NOOOOPE.. nothing like a dove ;) and i had tropical doves, turkish doves (grey with a ringneck) and even pidgeons! But now, i could never imagine what i liked about them.. they are so quiet, so.. not full of life like my parrots are! :)
Surprised your birds are loud, it's my understanding Senegal's are some of the quietest and calmest parrots there are?

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
HAH!! You are mistaken then ;-)
Mine are loud, not always, but when they do, you'll hear them :)

Most Senegals are easy going birds, so are mine, but unlike doves, even the most sweetest Senegal can throw you a fit like a newborn baby :)

That said, i'm not saying you shouldn't get a Senegal, i think you should! Like i said before, i could not imagine a world without mines! I am just trying to make sure you get well advised, and while yours might never be a loud, angry bird, its still a bird with personality! Far from beeing like a dove :)

See some Senegals on Youtube, be sure not only the ones where they do tricks and all, but also where they make noise, scream like babies etc. Then, when you still think you want one, bu all means, i will help you as much as possible if you ever need/want my help :)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
My Senegal is not loud and he is a nice guy. He can be moody but I don't remember ever getting bit and he's good with everyone when he's gone to the vet. He has a soft voice and does not scream. He whistles, talks and does sound effects.

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
While Senegal's in general are not known to be considered "loud" parrots, every bird is different. Some Sennies will be very quiet while others will be knock your socks off loud. It's important to be ready for either scenario, and everything in between if you are going to get any type of parrot. With that said, my Senegal falls somewhere in the middle between loud and quiet. He doesn't vocalize as much as my two GCC's, his call is a very loud and piercing whistle. It can be heard from all over the house and outside easily.

We adopted ours from a parrot rescue we volunteer with, so he has some baggage. It took us several months for him to even want to come out of his cage. He still is afraid to step up onto an uncovered hand. His bites are something to beware of. He grabs on and does not let you, and I mean that. He doesn't bite as frequently now, but it still happens and it hurts. Overall he is a lot calmer than my two GCC's, and is content hanging out on his play gym or getting head scritches from us. He enjoys climbing all over his cage and exploring his area though. Even after four months his personality is just starting to show through. Senegal's can become very hesitant and phobic of new things, so it can take time.

I encourage you to check out any rescues in your area and meet a few Sennies, see if you feel a connection with any of them. Just keep in mind that every bird is different, and just because a species is said to be quiet and calm doesn't mean you particular bird will be. :)

Janet May

Checking out the neighborhood
I have a senni she's 17 she's very moody has to have attention when she wants not when you feel like giving it she has a very high pitched yell that she does when your not doing what you should be but she is the greatest bird she talks makes tons of noises and loves kisses