• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A sad story with a happy ending!

Texas Tiel fan

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Robert Seale
First of all, I know this is the proper forum for this type of bird but I thought you guys my like reading about this. Two weeks ago my wife and I made a long trip to visit a bird store that a good friend of mine owns in Farmers Branch Texas. Although we purchased a tiel from them last year, we had never been to his store. The high lite of the whole trip was getting to meet Helen.....his rescue female Cockatoo!!! I didn't catch all the particulars but her previous owners had about as much right to own this bird as a 5 year old owning a shot gun! they had her living in a cage OUTSIDE on a porch and feeding her Chicken, ham, and peanuts!!! You can see in the photo she had been pretty stressed by looking at the plucked feathers on her chest! Needless to say she has made GREAT improvements since coming to live with John and his wife...(bird shop owners) Not only was this my very first time to lay eyes on a living breathing Too.....I even got to hold her! What's even more amazing was the fact that after being thru what she know doubt had to deal with, she was actually sweeter than many tiels I had dealings with!

Attachments

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
She´s a beauty :) Nice to hear she is in a better home.

And I LOVE your shirt! :cool:

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What a lovely story. She's one of the lucky ones that found a good caring person.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
It is a happy ending. What a cutie! And I also love your shirt!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Wonderful photo and great story.
Like the t-shirt!!

AmyJas

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Amy
Love the story and the picture. As a child, I met the sweetest Umbrella Cockatoo named Penelope at a local pet store who was formerly abused. Cockatoos have held a special place in my heart ever since. My goal is to own at least a small cockatoo species eventually (such as a Goffin's, Ducorps, or Galah), but they are not suited to my current home or lifestyle. Though as a new cockatiel owner, I can see now how cockatiels are certainly related to cockatoos in their sweet, affectionate, sometimes temperamental nature.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Welcome! What a beautiful lady you've met there. :xflove: I'm glad she's found a loving home.

Tara81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Tara
wow shes beautiful ! It's amazing how forgiving they can be of humans sometimes. Love your shirt also :D

Dulli

Sitting on the front steps
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Dave
she's beautiful that's a nice story

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Your shirt and the cockatoo and you make a mighty fine photo.