• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A reminder about vine rings

LunaLovebird

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm usually pretty vigilant about removing most vine rings from the birds' toys because of the strangulation risk, but a toy I purchased not long ago apparently got missed.

image.jpeg

It's been in Luna's cage for a month now, and she mostly just thrashes the bell. However, today got a message today from my brother, who was thankfully home when she got her head stuck in it and almost hung herself struggling to get out. He suffered a lot of bites getting her unstuck, but she's okay now and the toy has since been removed.

So, a reminder for me (and maybe others) to make sure there are no lovebird sized rings in my birds' cages.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
scary thanks for the reminder

metalstitcher

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Rhiana
Poor thing thankfully he was home when it happened. Glad she is okay. Thank you for the reminder

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
She's been a bit of a mama's girl tonight since I've come home. I let her out when I came in the door, and she was an instant puddle in my hand, wanting scritches and love. Poor girl.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Such a simple thing as a vine ring can cause so much damage. Glad you posted this. I got a swing yesterday for budgie baby to come and noticed the metal ring holding the clip had ends that were brought together but they did not meet exactly and left a sharp edge. Took it off and substituted a plastic ring. It pays to check each and every toy we decorate the cages with.

webchirp

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
So very glad she is okay! Anything with larger gaps than approved bar spacing should be checked.

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
So very glad she is okay! Anything with larger gaps than approved bar spacing should be checked.
Definitely. I gave both cages a once over just to be sure I didn't miss anything else.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Yikes, I'm so glad she's okay! Thanks for the reminder to check all toys. Your little girl is such a cutie btw!

Heather F

Goodness, how scary!

BirdGuy21

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jake
Glad Luna is okay!

fluffypoptarts

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's terrifying! I am so, so glad that she's okay!! I'm sure you're beyond grateful to still have your baby girl. How awful! Your brother is the best.

fluffypoptarts

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Me too! My brother showed me his battle scars this morning. Luna puts up a good fight!
Poor thing didn't know she was being rescued. She thought, "My god, I am already under attack from this vine monster and now Mama's assistant is attacking me, too!"

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I have a GW who is too big to be hanged by one of those rings, but I don't like that when she breaks them up they are very sharp and can injure her - so no vine rings for her.

Laurul Feather Cat

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Lois
My lovebirds love dismantling vine rings, but I always make sure I buy them large enough there is no way they can get stuck in one. I also don't hang more than one on each quick link in case they could get tangled between the rings. There are no other toys hanging with the vine circle and they only thing they can do with it is chew it to pieces: which they do asap.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm thankful for your brother and his bravery too :hug8:

LunaLovebird

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
My lovebirds love dismantling vine rings, but I always make sure I buy them large enough there is no way they can get stuck in one. I also don't hang more than one on each quick link in case they could get tangled between the rings. There are no other toys hanging with the vine circle and they only thing they can do with it is chew it to pieces: which they do asap.
Yeah. mine show interest in the smaller vine toys, which I use for their foraging bowls and remove when they get tattered. The head sized rings I usually get rid of immediately if I see them on any toys I get for them. Of course the one I missed almost results in disaster. The only other ring shaped toys they have that hang up are the Gym n Jingle from AS, but that thing is big enough for them to perch in (Ani loves to climb all over it when he's doing his "let me out now" dance).