• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video A Real Talker - But What Is This Bird Saying?

Feather

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
I hear a lot of "I don't care" and "no" and "[name]'s a liar." There's at least one "okay" and "#!@& off" in there.

Reminds me of this video. At first I thought it was the same two birds, but here the yellow-nape is the argumentative one. :p

Last edited:

Teckechick

Ask me for a photo of my bird, I have to post one!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Dawn
Wow he is sure not happy with his shower buddy.

Reminds me of this video
He really doesn't want anyone touching his mate lol!

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I think I hear the bird saying Amazon.

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
What you humans are hearing from the bird is what the bird hears you humans saying. Your voice is somewhat garbled to the parrot's ears and what it is repeating is a lot of run-on words and sentences.
Keep in mind that the human language is a foreign language to a bird. The bird can copy what it hears and when you are talking around the house to friends and family your language is a run-on language. Words and sentences mean nothing to the bird. It's really nothing more then 'mumbo-jumbo'.

Karen

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Gosh, I hope the bird wasn't as stressed out as I was listening to that. I felt bad for the bird.

Mockinbirdiva

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Andrea
I heard him say "I don't care" a couple of times and then heard the owner say it towards the end. Henry does this type of babble mimicking my conversations. Lucky he didn't get his finger bitten when he held it in front of the DYH.

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What you humans are hearing from the bird is what the bird hears you humans saying. Your voice is somewhat garbled to the parrot's ears and what it is repeating is a lot of run-on words and sentences.
Keep in mind that the human language is a foreign language to a bird. The bird can copy what it hears and when you are talking around the house to friends and family your language is a run-on language. Words and sentences mean nothing to the bird. It's really nothing more then 'mumbo-jumbo'.
Really depends on the birds. Some birds such as the famous African Grey, Alex, learn to associate words with objects, people and events, use words appropriately and can string together words to create their own original phrases. I have birds that do that. It is more than just mimicking/"parroting". Several other members have birds who use language appropriately. One example would be @cassiesdad Milton.
In that video I would have to say that a lot of what that bird is saying is just random mimicking. However our words and language can have meaning to our feathered friends and those that have the capacity and interest can learn to use it accurately. Of course their vocabulary and sentence structure is limited compared to ours.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
The EB i had a few years ago had a large vocabulary . He did learn to hook a few words together.

Farlie

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Rick
Really depends on the birds. Some birds such as the famous African Grey, Alex, learn to associate words with objects, people and events, use words appropriately and can string together words to create their own original phrases. I have birds that do that. It is more than just mimicking/"parroting". Several other members have birds who use language appropriately. One example would be @cassiesdad Milton.
In that video I would have to say that a lot of what that bird is saying is just random mimicking. However our words and language can have meaning to our feathered friends and those that have the capacity and interest can learn to use it accurately. Of course their vocabulary and sentence structure is limited compared to ours.

I certainly don't want to get into a debating war but you'll never convince me that Alex or Einstein did anything more then mimic our language.
Repetitiveness, over and over again for many years was the trick to making us humans think the bird could understand our language.
I don't believe a bird understands the human language and never will. It just isn't possible, In My Humble Opinion. ;)
After voicing my opinion, that's all I'll ever say about it. :)

Wasabisaurus

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That’s what imagine an argument would sound like between the guy and his beloved.

Evidence of the words, I DON’T CARE! :roflmao:

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Reminds me of this video. At first I thought it was the same two birds, but here the yellow-nape is the argumentative one. :p
That is one of my favorite clip ever! :D