• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A new member of the family!

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
I know I've been somewhat absent from Avian Avenue lately -- life's been busy!

But I wanted to officially announce that we adopted a dog!! Her name is Sadie. She's a little over a year old, is a Lab mix (not sure what she's mixed with, but I think hound/collie), and is recovering from non-infectious mange.

She came home with me a week ago today for a trial stay, but today she was officially adopted. I am so excited and happy! She's an amazing dog. Very very smart, and really a darling.

Brodie has adapted fairly well to her being here. It's taking our cat, Daniel, the longest time out of all of us to adapt, and that's because he's used to being the only fur-baby in the house. (He's lived with my parents' dogs before, so living with dogs isn't completely foreign to him... but having a dog stay in "his" house IS foreign.) But he is also adjusting (slowly).

One of the main reasons we adopted her is because my husband has work schedule that is pretty much opposite mine (he works on the weekends, 12 hour shifts -- but not during the week, whereas I'm the opposite), and my PTSD was getting triggered being here alone after dark. Having Sadie helps decrease that hypervigilance.

And it's also been awesome for getting me out and about. I've explored parks in the area, have talked with some random people about dogs, and also have completed volunteer training at the shelter where I found Sadie. :)

It's also helped because I grew up with dogs (mostly Lab mixes) and before we moved, I spent a lot of time with my parents' dogs so that's how I got my "dog fix." I've really missed having a dog to play and snuggle with since we moved here, so that's another reason for adopting her (and another reason to keep volunteering at the shelter too!).

Isn't she adorable?

IMG_3237.JPG
"Mo-oom, do I HAVE to go to bed?"

IMG_3273.JPG
She loves going outside for walks!

IMG_3299.JPG
Today after a bath, she got a new bone to celebrate her Gotcha Day. :)

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Welcome to the Avenue, Sadie...:)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
So cute!

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Congratulations!

Birdbabe

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
She's beautiful! Thank you for helping her, and Thank you for your service:hug8:

DQTimnehs

Ri-DQ-lously crazy 4 TAGs!
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Jennifer
Congrats! She's so cute, she still looks like a puppy! :)

WallyLoopey

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
It's great she's given you so much joy already! Think of what's to come still! :)

BirdCatLady

Jogging around the block
Real Name
April
Thanks, everyone! Her age is unknown -- the shelter said she's 10 months, but I think she's a bit older than that. I think she does look a bit like a puppy still, and she definitely acts like it in some ways (e.g., she can't control her teeth when she's playing -- she hasn't broken skin, but she has bruised me). But other things about her indicate that she's a little over a year old -- for example, she's completely crate-trained and house-broken. She knew "sit" when she first came, and now she knows "down," "off," "leave it," "shake," "come," and is learning "stay." Keep in mind, she's only been here for 2 weeks as of tomorrow! Super smart dog. :)

Tyrion

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
:bounce7::congrats5::bounce7: