• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A New Idea Surfaced

aqualover9

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Adriana
Though many might disagree, here's the best plan I have come up with so far:
Since linnies are so rare and the generally live for a few years longer than budgies, I've opted to a single 5-8-year-old budgie. Since I'm in school and I'm planning to go to college right after finishing high school, I have several years before I have to leave the bird I'm planning on getting behind. Since most budgie's healthy lifespans are like 10-15 years (though unhealthy ones go for about 5 years) a 5-8-year-old budgie will pass due to natural causes and so the bird won't need to go through such a stressful time by switching homes. Yes, vet bills can be very pricy so I need some advice on that as to how much your bird emergencies cost so I can get a grip on it. For those who haven't read my previous post on "Convincing Parents for Linnies", here's a brief summary:
~I live in a household of 6
~planning to put bird's cage in the living room where most action is (no direct sunlight or drafts)
~bird will have at least 2 hours of one on one playtime with me out of the cage every day (probably 3 on weekends)
~will be half-playing with the bird when doing homework and in the shower (does that count as one on one?) around 3 hours
~will let the bird out of the cage for the hours that I'm not at school once I gain their trust (which is typically around 5-7 hours in total including the one on one time depending on the day)
~made a list on Amazon for all supplies (if you need a picture of that I can put it up)

That's all my brain can think about writing now. If I do remember other stuff you should know, I'll add it.

Just wondering if you guys think I'm ready for an (American/Australian) budgie? Any addition info and tips would be appreciated! (Thanks for taking the time to read this :D)

Last edited by a moderator:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I think if your family is on board, a budgie is a great choice. As for emergency funds, a lot depends on where you're located. Maybe call a couple vet office's and ask what they charge for a check up, gram stain, etc. My vet here is pretty reasonably priced. I think our annual exam is $70-80? A gram stain is maybe another $30. He also trims my bird's nails for $15. But I think that's lower than what most charge. I had to take my tiel to the emergency hospital once and I think that was about $220.

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Take into consideration that an older bird may have more health issues, especially if the prev. owner gave it a poor diet.

I can´t comment on prices as I´m in a different country, A lot of my vet fees are cheaper here, but I have never had an emergency so I don´t know how much an emergency visit, broken bones, poisonings cost.

Is there a rescue near you to go and see budgies when the time comes?

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Maybe call a couple vet office's and ask what they charge for a check up, gram stain, etc. My vet here is pretty reasonably priced. I think our annual exam is $70-80? A gram stain is maybe another $30. He also trims my bird's nails for $15. But I think that's lower than what most charge. I had to take my tiel to the emergency hospital once and I think that was about $220.
Annual checkups are $85 as for emergencies I still need to check in with them.

aqualover9

Real Name
Adriana
Is there a rescue near you to go and see budgies when the time comes?
The closest one is about an hour away, but I can check their website for availability first. Thanks for the suggestion!