• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A new friend!

Scorch

Strolling the yard
Hi guys!
Quick question, will a cockatiel make a good first parrot. I go to school but have a lot of time to care and love a feathered cutie. I love cockatiels and they always sort of remind me of a pikachu (don't laugh), I always loved cockatiels from when I was a really young age and didn't know their name so described them as the bird with red cheeks and spikes. Anyway just wondering if a cockatiel is the right bird for me.
Thx!

:tiel3:

blewin

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
Will a cockatiel make "a good first parrot..."

So, first, 'tiels live 15-20 years. And, with the exception of budgies, all parrots lives are counted in decades, not years. So the first question really should be, can you commit your life to a pet that is going to be with you longer than most of your significant others?

Second, all parrots are expensive to care for and take up room. You need an appropriate sized cage, food, toys, treats, vet visits (assume $75-100/visit for an avian vet IF nothing is wrong), plus the money to replace/repair anything that the 'tiel damages (which will happen). They also need a dark, quiet room to sleep in for 12 hours a day. They need to be safe from fumes/aerosols/smoke/teflon, electric cords, open windows, other animals, open doors. Do you have a ready source of income to cover the needs of your 'tiel? Do you have the space?

Third, all parrots require a great deal of love and attention. This means several hours a day, every day. If you go on vacation, you need a sitter. Do you have the time and a means to care for them when you are not around?

Finally, parrots are messy, and 'tiels are incredibly messy. They are dusty, molt constantly, poop with abandon, and at least Buddy drops food everywhere to find later. Can you deal with cleaning messes every day, sometimes several times?

If so, 'tiels are sweet parrots who make great companions, and only really demand love and attention.

CeciliaZ

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Cecilia
Read the "Good, Bad and Ugly" thread on cockatiels as well as other posts in the tiel forum. Tiels are generally easy going and laid back. I have 5 - and yes I do think they make great companions. :)

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Welcome to AA! In addition to all the things @blewin mentioned, make sure any other family members are 100% committed to having a bird in the house. If the answer to all those things is yes, then cockatiels make fantastic little friends!

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
There are way too many cockatiels and parrots in general stuck in shelters and rescues because their past owners got the wrong bird, or even the wrong pet. It is important that you learn all you can about this fascinating species before bringing one into your home.

I think it was nice of you to seek advice and help on this matter before bringing this bird into your home. However, you are the only one who can make this decision. We know nothing about your wants or needs in a bird. We don't know anything about your lifestyle (except you go to school but yet have plenty of time). It is perfectly okay to ask questions like this on here. After all, this is a forum. However, when it comes to you choosing the best pet bird for you to spend many years with, YOU are the only one who can make that decision.

My advice for you is you find out as much as you can about these birds. Look at online articles, books, and maybe even consider meeting some at a parrot rescue. Once you know a lot about cockatiels and their needs, you can then make the decision of whether or not this is the right bird for you and whether or not you want to bring one into your home.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
no more nonstick cookware, no commercial cleaners, no perfume or air fresheners, no candles and no to smoke, no to cats and dogs in the same room, and no to a whole bunch of other stuff! You might be willing but will your parents comply? Big expensive change of lifestyle

Scorch

Strolling the yard
no more nonstick cookware, no commercial cleaners, no perfume or air fresheners, no candles and no to smoke, no to cats and dogs in the same room, and no to a whole bunch of other stuff! You might be willing but will your parents comply? Big expensive change of lifestyle
I understand about perfume and air fresheners, we don't use them, I have no cat or dog, but I don't understand about nonstick cookware. My brother used to have an Indian Ringneck (had to give to friends cuz we moved countries) and we stopped using nonstick cookware but I'm wondering how nonstick appliances affect parrots?

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
I understand about perfume and air fresheners, we don't use them, I have no cat or dog, but I don't understand about nonstick cookware. My brother used to have an Indian Ringneck (had to give to friends cuz we moved countries) and we stopped using nonstick cookware but I'm wondering how nonstick appliances affect parrots?

When pans coated with ptfe aka Teflon get overheated or at high temps, they emit odorless colorless fumes which kill the birds instantly. We have had this happen on AA a couple of times as well as get reports from other sources.

Scorch

Strolling the yard
When pans coated with ptfe aka Teflon get overheated or at high temps, they emit odorless colorless fumes which kill the birds instantly. We have had this happen on AA a couple of times as well as get reports from other sources.
Thanks a lot! So that means non stick pans are a no go! I will see with my mum about that as nonsticks are a favourite. My mum isn't a big fan of mess but she takes animal health seriously. Thx!

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
Thanks a lot! So that means non stick pans are a no go! I will see with my mum about that as nonsticks are a favourite. My mum isn't a big fan of mess but she takes animal health seriously. Thx!
here in the us you can buy Cuisinart green pans which are not PTFE teflon coated but ceramic coated

kung pao 1.jpg

Scorch

Strolling the yard
here in the us you can buy Cuisinart green pans which are not PTFE teflon coated but ceramic coated

View attachment 261506
Thanks a lot! This will help immensely, I will check if I can find one in the UK. Apparently nonsticks aren't just deadly for birds but are unhealthy for humans too. This fact will help convince my mum to change as she is very healthy :wacky:. Anyway I think I struck gold when I ended up in this forum, everyone is so helpful!:hug8:

blewin

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Ben
So it's not just teflon pans, by the way...
Many space heaters, irons (including curling irons), some heating blankets, waffle irons, panini presses, etc. use teflon.

Teflon emits fumes at temperatures over 500 F or so, which means it's okay to use in ovens (ventilated, no birds around), BUT not to use on stoves (under any situation). We just avoid, all together.

I don't want you to think that I am trying to say "don't get a 'tiel." I am just saying that any companion animal requires a great deal of research, and parrots are even more labor intensive than dogs. If you want low maintenance, go to your local animal shelter and get a kitten...:lol:

SquawksNibbles

Real Name
Kiera
Thanks a lot! This will help immensely, I will check if I can find one in the UK. Apparently nonsticks aren't just deadly for birds but are unhealthy for humans too. This fact will help convince my mum to change as she is very healthy :wacky:. Anyway I think I struck gold when I ended up in this forum, everyone is so helpful!:hug8:
Just wanted to say sorry if my previous post sounded a bit rude, that was not my intention.

Yes, here on AA everyone is very supportive and helpful to one another. We all just want what's best for all the fids on here. We are here to help you through the the journey of picking a parrot and living with one. Or as I like to call it, "parronthood." :)

You are already showing us that you are serious about owning and living with a parrot. The fact that you are willing to give up teflon and many other things in your home just helps prove to us that with the right information and help, you can be a great parront. All the same, I stick to what I said originally. Make sure you do PLENTY of research on any species you are interested in. Visiting a few 'tiels may also help you make your decision.

If you're interested in some other smaller and easier to care for (NOT low maintenance, just easier than the bigger guys), some species you may want to check out are lovebirds, parrotlets, and Bourke parakeets.

Harleyandme

Sprinting down the street
Cockatiels are sweet, loveable pets and I think, if you CAN say yes, to all of the criteria applied, you might find a great companion in a cockatiel. That is, if you really can say yes to all of them. Do your parents agree and can you afford a suitable cage? Personally, I LOVE cockatiels and they are such great birds. Make sure to do lots of research though! Once you find all things you want in a bird, then what you like about birds and about cockatiels, you should find out why you don't like them. Make a list of why you couldn't or shouldn't get one and see if you still want one. If you do, then great!! :lol:

datlamb

cockatiels are lovely companions. i have 2 and i enjoy them immensely.
you asked if they are beginner birds, and they sort of are. for example:
-cockatiels are less known to pluck their feathers. (it's not unheard of though, that it also doesn't mean they are not under stress)
-cockatiels have their cute crest which can help you asses their mood immensely. they also hiss when they are scared which is a good indicator. this video explains a bit about cockatiels and especially about their crest and body language.
-cockatiels originate from australia, and over there their diet mostly consist of seeds. fresh green seeds and dried brown seeds. so in your home a cockatiel can have 30-40% of it's diet made up of seeds, and the rest veggies and pellets.
- cockatiels are short lived compared to other parrots, the longest living one being 32 .

all of these make cockatiels a nice introduction to having birds as companions but it in no way diminishes the care they need.
some things to consider:
expenses:
-a large flight cage for the bird or birds. most users buy this one
-accessories and toys for the bird. those need to be replaced as time passes because birds love toys they can chew and destroy. another good addition to the cage are natural branches which you can purchase or make yourself, which are very healthy for their feet.
-annual vet check ups and emergency vet funds. you should check how much a visit to the avian vet near you will cost.
-food. birds need to have a diet consisting of good quality pellets and seeds and fresh fruits and vegetables.

will you or your parents be paying these expenses? do you have enough or are your parents willing to spend this much? a thing to consider.

you said you go to school so you can spend a lot of time with your companion, and indeed cockatiels are very social creatures. if you'll own a single cockatiels it will need interaction from you to stay healthy and happy. but you still should provide enrichment for it for when you are away . things like foraging toys, a playing radio and lots of toys can help it pass the time until you are back from school.

this schedule can work for now, but what about later? are you planning on going to college or moving out of the house?if so, the cockatiel will limit your choice of apartments, as not all allow pets.
if you'll decide to leave the bird with your parents, will they know how to take good enough care of it? how about interacting with it?
this is a very important thing to plan to, as many cockatiels lose their homes and are sent to shelters because the owners can't keep them anymore in a new home.

do you do chores around the house? as fun as they can be birds are a very big chore :p waking up early and preparing fresh food for them, cleaning their cage and surrounding area, refilling water and food dishes every day, deep cleaning the cage once a month, spot cleaning daily are all things that will need to be done for them to be healthy and happy.

if you really want a cockatiel, research research research!! look into every aspect of having a cockatiel, see what problems come up and how you can solve them so your future companion will have the best life possible.

some places to look into:
animal wonders on youtube. flock talk on youtube. flock talk blog. talk cockatiels stickies. ask bird bloggers. and of course the stickies in this forum! in the cockatiel, toys and cages, enrichment and food subforums.

Scorch

Strolling the yard
cockatiels are lovely companions. i have 2 and i enjoy them immensely.
you asked if they are beginner birds, and they sort of are. for example:
-cockatiels are less known to pluck their feathers. (it's not unheard of though, that it also doesn't mean they are not under stress)
-cockatiels have their cute crest which can help you asses their mood immensely. they also hiss when they are scared which is a good indicator. this video explains a bit about cockatiels and especially about their crest and body language.
-cockatiels originate from australia, and over there their diet mostly consist of seeds. fresh green seeds and dried brown seeds. so in your home a cockatiel can have 30-40% of it's diet made up of seeds, and the rest veggies and pellets.
- cockatiels are short lived compared to other parrots, the longest living one being 32 .

all of these make cockatiels a nice introduction to having birds as companions but it in no way diminishes the care they need.
some things to consider:
expenses:
-a large flight cage for the bird or birds. most users buy this one
-accessories and toys for the bird. those need to be replaced as time passes because birds love toys they can chew and destroy. another good addition to the cage are natural branches which you can purchase or make yourself, which are very healthy for their feet.
-annual vet check ups and emergency vet funds. you should check how much a visit to the avian vet near you will cost.
-food. birds need to have a diet consisting of good quality pellets and seeds and fresh fruits and vegetables.

will you or your parents be paying these expenses? do you have enough or are your parents willing to spend this much? a thing to consider.

you said you go to school so you can spend a lot of time with your companion, and indeed cockatiels are very social creatures. if you'll own a single cockatiels it will need interaction from you to stay healthy and happy. but you still should provide enrichment for it for when you are away . things like foraging toys, a playing radio and lots of toys can help it pass the time until you are back from school.

this schedule can work for now, but what about later? are you planning on going to college or moving out of the house?if so, the cockatiel will limit your choice of apartments, as not all allow pets.
if you'll decide to leave the bird with your parents, will they know how to take good enough care of it? how about interacting with it?
this is a very important thing to plan to, as many cockatiels lose their homes and are sent to shelters because the owners can't keep them anymore in a new home.

do you do chores around the house? as fun as they can be birds are a very big chore :p waking up early and preparing fresh food for them, cleaning their cage and surrounding area, refilling water and food dishes every day, deep cleaning the cage once a month, spot cleaning daily are all things that will need to be done for them to be healthy and happy.

if you really want a cockatiel, research research research!! look into every aspect of having a cockatiel, see what problems come up and how you can solve them so your future companion will have the best life possible.

some places to look into:
animal wonders on youtube. flock talk on youtube. flock talk blog. talk cockatiels stickies. ask bird bloggers. and of course the stickies in this forum! in the cockatiel, toys and cages, enrichment and food subforums.
Wow! Thx a lot for the very detailed response. I normally do chores, I already wake up really early so I can use that time to tend to my tiel, I'm saving up money for the cage, toys etc but my mum will help with the vet visits and the food. I'm planning on going to uni and my mum insists that I stay home while studying so I will still be able to care for my bird. Thx again! :D

datlamb

with pleasure :) please keep us updated! and don't be afraid to ask any questions that pop up :heart:

another thing to consider:
i also wanted a pet bird before going to college, and after lots of research i realised that the only way a bird will be happy while i'm at college is if it has another companion bird with it, as college can take up a lot of your time. i now have happy and hopi and i'm so happy to see how much they give to one another. they encourage each other to eat new foods or play with new toys. they preen and play together. and they still love to sleep on me and let me scritch them. having more than one bird is wonderful

Scorch

Strolling the yard
with pleasure :) please keep us updated! and don't be afraid to ask any questions that pop up :heart:

another thing to consider:
i also wanted a pet bird before going to college, and after lots of research i realised that the only way a bird will be happy while i'm at college is if it has another companion bird with it, as college can take up a lot of your time. i now have happy and hopi and i'm so happy to see how much they give to one another. they encourage each other to eat new foods or play with new toys. they preen and play together. and they still love to sleep on me and let me scritch them. having more than one bird is wonderful
I'll definitely consider getting 2 cockatiels so they won't be so bored when I'm at school or in the future University. We used to have many family birds, we had 2 Indian Ringnecks, 1 blue and 1 white (Cocoza and Snowball), we had many canaries (Mango and I was too young to remember the others), we had 2 budgies, both green and yellow (Kiwi and Lime) but I felt like they weren't mine. They were mostly my elder brothers and even he couldn't bond with them properly. I never took care of them (I was too young) but my mum was a star, she gave them showers which they really enjoyed. She let them out of their cage when we were in school and I think she bonded the most with them.
PS: We called the blue indian ringneck Cocoza because my mother used to go to this ice-cream parlour that served blue
ice-cream called Cocoza and when he groomed himself, he looked like a blue ice-cream scoop.