• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A long story --

Choxspr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
I haven't posted in a while, and at this point I have a tale to tell about Roderigo, my mauve linnie. In the middle of December, it became clear to me that he wasn't well -- he was puffed up, eyes half closed, very listless, etc. He was so new to me that I hadn't yet taken him to a vet, and my regular vet doesn't see birds, so I found the nearest avian vet and made an appointment. They agreed that he was sick and wanted me to do tests that would have cost $350, in addition to the cost of the appointment ($150). I *know* I should be able to afford any kind of treatment or I shouldn't have a bird, but I just couldn't. So they gave me antibiotics to give him twice a day and got me to promise I would bring him back if he didn't improve.

I gave him the antibiotics and he seemed to be improving, but then he wasn't improving, then he would seem a little better, etc. At this point, it was the holidays -- and I myself became very ill. I couldn't leave the house, much less think about taking him to the vet. Each day I uncovered his cage, hoping he'd still be with me.

My guilt was overwhelming. One night, I tossed and turned all night, feeling horrible that he (and I) was so sick. But . . . the next morning, I uncovered his cage, and he was noticeably better. And each day after that, he improved.

He's back to his old self. He's mumbling and chirping, playing with his toys, his eyes are bright, and he's back to his old sleek self, no more puffiness. And I have to say that even though he's not tamed to my hands, in all the times I had to catch him and give him the antibiotic, he never bit me or behaved aggressively toward me. At this point, we have to start over working on trust and so on, but if I talk to him he seems very interested and doesn't move away, only if my hands are in the cage. I've been moving his cage so that he gets some sun and also so he's close to where I sit and work on the computer, so I can talk to him and interact with him. We whistle back and forth.

I don't know if this helped at all, but despite the fact that the breeder told me he'd been on a diet of seed and pellets, but since he'd been with me, he wouldn't eat the pellets. I started grinding the pellets to dust in a spice grinder, and adding that with some dried greens to his seed. At least he's getting some of the pellet dust, right? And I've discovered that he really doesn't like fruit other than apples, but he loves brussels sprouts, fennel, and other greens, so I've been giving him those fresh every day.

I think some birdie god was looking down on us. I'm so grateful he's still with me.

rigo4.jpg

Last edited:

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I'm glad he's okay and it sounds like he's settling in well with you. Something to look into for the future perhaps is Credit Care. A friend of mine used it for her dog's surgery and she was very happy with it. It will cover vet bills and as long as you pay it back within the required time, my understanding is there's no interest applied.

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I am so happy to hear that Rigo is OK. I'm sure he will eventually forgive you for the need to handle him. So amazing that he didn't bite when you had to give him his antibiotics. What a sweet boy. And I hope you are well and fully recovered.

Choxspr

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Elise
Thanks, sunnysmom and Dona -- It was an awful experience and I hope we don't go through it again. I'll look into Credit Care -- I hadn't heard about that, but will investigate it. My dog vet has a plan that if you pay so much a month, a lot of things are covered, but I haven't seen that for birds. And yes, I'm better -- I'm hearing that a lot of people are dealing with whatever it is that's going around -- my doctor was sick for three weeks! Fortunately, it was only about two for me.

I'm so relieved that Rigo is back to normal and that we can get on with making him comfortable and happy in his new home. Interestingly, at this point he and the dog are getting along fine (no, I haven't had Rigo out of the cage with the dog around and I won't!). But you can see in the photo that Hugo's quietly looking at Rigo, and Rigo seems equally interested. At this point, I think that Rigo likes Hugo more than he likes me, lol.

Hugo and Rigo.jpg

Dona

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Interestingly, at this point he and the dog are getting along fine (no, I haven't had Rigo out of the cage with the dog around and I won't!). But you can see in the photo that Hugo's quietly looking at Rigo, and Rigo seems equally interested. At this point, I think that Rigo likes Hugo more than he likes me, lol.
Yes, for sure no dog/bird access but I've read that Linnies often like dogs. When my grandkids are here they act an awful lot like puppies on the floor and Gigi is entranced. The more action and noise the better.

Hugo's a cutie.