• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A little update on Adélie

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Tomorrow marks 5 months without Sydney. And recently there has been some changes so I thought I would post a little update.

I had been letting her out to fly and play with Gísli. Things had been going very well, she was happy playing near him but was quite nippy with him and made the boudaries very clear.

A few weeks or a month or so ago, Gis was trying to feed her, but she had no interest at all and would charge him away.
But she would follow him somewhat around the room. They would fly together.

We have had stormy weather this last week, so there's been little to no sun which is unusual for us here, and lots of grey clouds and loads of well needed rain. This sort of weather makes the birds a bit more docile, they spend more time sat around or napping, hardly flock calling. So I am not sure if it is the weather that has contributed to this, but Adé and Gis have been getting very close this last week.

It started with them hiding behind the cushions and mating where they thought I couldn't see them. And have been mating daily since, for the last four days or so.

Yesterday and today Gis has been feeding her, and she is sitting still and accepting it. Before he would be a bit frightened or intimidated by her and not feed her even though he regurgitated.

These last two days, they spend all day sat together, with him feeding her or napping together. He is currently next to her preening her.

Night time comes and they do not roost together, they go into Gis's cage and he goes up to the cork perch, and she goes under it. So I take Ade and put her back in her own cage and they spend the nights apart until the morning when I let them out again.

Today is our last day of rain. Might not see any rain for 8 or 9 months now so we will have to see if things change when the sun shines again.....

It is a very bittersweet thing. I am glad these two are happy, whether they fully bond or not, I am happy they won't be alone. But it is sad because I just know how much Ade loved Sydney, she always did.

Emma&pico

Biking along the boulevard
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Emma
So glad she settling better and they are starting to be friends must be nice to see gis having a friend maybe bond
But I get it’s bitter sweet but no one can take your memories of Sydney and ade away from you just hold them in your heart

is ade the one who get low calcium will you let them have babies if they are mating ?

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Gosh the time has gone so fast. I am glad they are getting on well and providing each other with the interaction and friendship that they thrive on, fingers crossed for continued peace and happiness in your flock.

Just a little reminder... you didn't post any pics of the two sweeties ;)

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
is ade the one who get low calcium will you let them have babies if they are mating ?
Yes she is the one with calcium issues.
No, absolutely no babies because Gis is her brother from the clutch after hers.

I will work on it :tup: They will be snuggling and being all cute, but if I try to take a pic, they will come to me :rolleyes:

Here is a picture from the other week, Gis is on the left regurgitating to feed her (this was when she wouldn't accept the food, and he wasn't brave enough to go for it)

IMG_20240302_170409.jpg

Last edited:

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Some more pics from recent weeks;
Though I haven't taken any new pics since the 12th march for some reason,

Adélie showing off her wings,
IMG_20240302_174746.jpg

An update on Nube,
IMG_20240304_172731.jpg

Sitting on his fave perch;
IMG_20240310_185038.jpg

With Lapis;
IMG_20240303_175024.jpg

IMG_20240303_175026.jpg

And Aldora;
IMG_20240306_130412.jpg

IMG_20240306_130845.jpg

And the last thing I took was this video of Adé and Gis;

Zara

Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
This is the best I can do I'm afraid...

They spend most of their day in my living room, and I have the little cage set up in the corner with food water and some toys in. It is a little grey today so they have gone inside for a nap. The other door is open but I can't get anywhere near them to get a better pic without them waking up and coming out of the cage to me...
Gis on the left, Adélie on the right,
IMG_20240404_142620.jpg

Edit;
I found another pic to add;

IMG_20240403_112004.jpg

Last edited: