• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A little excitement this morning

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Bella is starting to become a very good flier, which is great to see. This morning we had a little incident. I was in the kitchen and she took off and landed on top of the cabinets above the refrigerator. She got a little spooked and started crying for me to get her. My ceilings are 12 ft tall so I would have had to get a ladder. I told her that if she got up there, she can get down all by herself. Then I went to get my cellphone to document this but unfortunately, the minute I got the camera on, she flew down and perfectly landed on my shoulder. Bella has great landing skills and now she is grinding her beak, getting ready to take a nap. I am so proud of my baby.

saroj12

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
saroj
aww! That's awesome she flew down on her own! Bella :heart:

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
They truly don't know how to fly down so it's really great she worked up the courage to do that.:heart: It may serve you well someday, god forbid, she ever escapes.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
They truly don't know how to fly down so it's really great she worked up the courage to do that.:heart: It may serve you well someday, god forbid, she ever escapes.
I didn't realize that.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Well I think parrot raised birds are taught all the flying skills as things are worked through but companion birds aren't able to be taught or learn the more difficult parts. It's probably like looking down a long flight of stairs and being afraid to go down them for people.
Lurch escaped in April and all he would do is fly up. We ended up right under the tree on the neighbors roof where he was and he was too scared to fly down to us and after a few days was chased off by some crows.
Haven't seen him since:(
So anyways not trying to bring down your happy thread but being able and not afraid to fly down is a very good thing for both of you.:):highfive:

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
Well I think parrot raised birds are taught all the flying skills as things are worked through but companion birds aren't able to be taught or learn the more difficult parts. It's probably like looking down a long flight of stairs and being afraid to go down them for people.
Lurch escaped in April and all he would do is fly up. We ended up right under the tree on the neighbors roof where he was and he was too scared to fly down to us and after a few days was chased off by some crows.
So anyways not trying to bring down your happy thread but being able and not afraid to fly down is a very good thing for both of you.:):highfive:

When Lurch escaped, I was praying that he would come home and still may. I know personally someone who lost her tiel for almost 2 years and had her returned and the tiel is still with her. I think Bella is actually more afraid of up because her cage is high and my couch and floor are low so she has always flown down and not up. I think that is why she was scared.

Princessbella

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
aww! That's awesome she flew down on her own! Bella :heart:
Thank you. I didn't realize how awesome that was but I was glad I didn't need to get the ladder.

Dartman

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Terry
Thanks, when I drive down my neighborhood I turn off the radio and listen in case he's still close by or in somebodys house. I renew the Craigslist adds every week and keep my fingers crossed he is safe and they see the ad and call. He might be a handful if he was still healthy when found as he was very mad and aggressive when he first became part of the family.

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
I have been sitting on my living room floor all summer, calling Harry and Gossamer to me for just that reason. I had read something by an escaped bird rescuer, and she said that if more birds knew how to fly down, she wouldn't have as many calls. They're doing pretty good.

Aubrey

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Such a brave girl :swoon:

Tyrion

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Annette Thompson
What a good girlie :fairy2:

zoo mom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elaine
Awesome job Bella.

mstomcat65

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Marti
Oh Wow! I didn't know that about birds flying down. Lacey flies up and down with no issues. I started playing on the floor with her when she was about 4 months old. I guess I didn't know that was a good thing

Reiker#7

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reiker
Yeah, good point-their point of view of what they're taught

Reiker#7

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Reiker
This stairs comment: yea that must be!