• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A little blood on wing?

stellaphanty

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stella
Hey all... So I've had my cockatiel Charlie for about 4 months now. I just noticed when I came home today that he has a little feather on his wing with some dried blood on it. It doesn't look like there was any heavy bleeding, the bleeding had completely stopped when I got home, and he is behaving completely normal.

Is this something I should be worried about? Does the feather need to be pulled or can it be left alone since the blood has already dried?

Thanks

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
If it's dry and clotted just leave the feather alone. However be sure to monitor Charlie in case he picks at that area and it starts bleeding again. Usually doesn't happen but could.
If you don't have any Kwik Stop or cornstarch in the house be sure to get some in case this happens again and the feather/area doesn't stop bleeding.

MagpieDragon

Jogging around the block
As far as I know, if it's a blood feather and starts bleeding again, u have pull it out.
Because u can clot it over and over again, but it can also break again.

- how to sort out a blood feather. Don't know how accurate it is, but may help someone :)

I would say to just watch, and make sure he's okay. If nothing is wrong, and it doesn't bleed again, u should be fine without pulling the feather.

stellaphanty

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Stella
Charlie's feather was very small, probably a new one coming in. The blood is gone, and it doesn't appear there was a bloody feather there in the first place. I think he's fine now. Thanks!