• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A List of Breeders and Band Numbers

loveyourparrot

Meeting neighbors
I just got a Cape Parrot (rehome) with a band that says "IL JK 4". I was told this means he was born in Illinois. But I cannot find any breeder with the initials "JK" and have no idea what the 4 means. I wish they inscribed the birth year.
Ya, I dislike when breeders do that. In my opinion, that is the main reason for the band! People need to know how old a bird is.

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
Hi! I'm looking for info on my Amazon. Google search got me nowhere. I'd really just like to know her birth year. I assumed it was 2013 due to the band, but my vet says not necessarily.
The reads AFA (an emblem) LRIA IA 13, I believe. Any help please??

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That's an American Federation of Aviculture band. You can check with them. They might be able to give you the breeder's info and then you can contact the breeder. IA might mean Iowa. Is the IA sideways? 13 could be the year or the id number of the bird. AFA: Contact Us

Last edited by a moderator:

VictoryCC124

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Shanna
I did make a mistake with the band. The band reads AFA (sideways) (emblem) IA (sideways) LRIA 13. I did send a message to the AFA, but I haven't heard back yet.

Rebecca Troyer

Checking out the neighborhood
I need help with a couple of bands please
JC 4763 black band on a Quaker found in Texas
CTP (sideways MI) 780 green band on a Conure

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I did make a mistake with the band. The band reads AFA (sideways) (emblem) IA (sideways) LRIA 13. I did send a message to the AFA, but I haven't heard back yet.
Generally sideways represents the state so would be Iowa. Hope they get back to you.

I need help with a couple of bands please
JC 4763 black band on a Quaker found in Texas
CTP (sideways MI) 780 green band on a Conure

The MI would be Michigan. 780 is probably the id number for the bird. This could possibly be Parrot's Talking owned by Todd Cotterman.
Cotterman's Talking Parrots????? http://www.manta.com/c/mmnptlq/parrots-talking
As for JC there is a JC Aviary in Texas and they do breed Quakers. JC Aviary
Just guessing on both of these.

loveyourparrot

Meeting neighbors
Hi Guys! I just rescued a Cherry Head Conure and the band says this...RFA FL. Any info on the breeder name so I can try and contact for a hatch date? Thanks!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award

expressmailtome

Ripping up the road
Administrator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew

loveyourparrot

Meeting neighbors
That page seems very odd to me. Several species are misnamed, including a toco toucan being called a parrot, and a Sulphur crested cockatoo called an umbrella cockatoo. Also, I recognized several of the pictures from other places such as this picture from a news story about a rescue: In need of a good home: 80 parrots, macaws, cockatoos – Twin Cities .
Yes, I agree. It had baby green-winged macaw pictures from 2016 that said scarlet macaw babies. What the!?! This looks like the breeder my cherryhead may have come from. Maybe sent to a Petco years ago and someone purchased. I live in Nebraska and the band is Florida. I just don't understand why they don't have the hatch year on the band. That is one of the main reasons to put one on. I sent a FB message to them so hopefully I can get info!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
That page seems very odd to me. Several species are misnamed, including a toco toucan being called a parrot, and a Sulphur crested cockatoo called an umbrella cockatoo. Also, I recognized several of the pictures from other places such as this picture from a news story about a rescue: In need of a good home: 80 parrots, macaws, cockatoos – Twin Cities .

I agree with you but it could be where her conure came from due to the FL and the RFA on the band. Did you see the hyacinth macaws for sale at affordable prices? How about the photo of the parrot eggs? I think I've seen them elsewhere. Also RFA may have copied the info on their about page from this site Xotic Birds - Home although maybe the UK place copied from RFA .... Who knows?
There could be another aviary in FL that uses RFA.....R----- Florida Aviary????
It's too bad breeding facilities don't have to register so that it would be easier for people to trace their birds.

@loveyourparrot There's a yahoo group about bird bands and you could also check there.

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica
Hi Guys! I just rescued a Cherry Head Conure and the band says this...RFA FL. Any info on the breeder name so I can try and contact for a hatch date? Thanks!
Any pictures of the conure???

I've seen Ruffled Feathers Aviary in CA, an RFA from WV, Rainforest Aviary in Canada, Rainforest Aviaries and Gardens in Florida.... None of which are likely accurate, including the last one... it's been out of business for over 20 years now.

Limited details about RFA...

They supply Petco with birds (??? - might get lucky if you can get a Petco employee to disclose that information)

RFA breeds/sells
  • Conures (Sun, Patty, CH[?], Jenday, Nanday)
  • Senegals
  • Cockatoos (M2, U2)
  • Caiques (BH)
  • Quakers
  • Macaws (B&G)
  • African Greys

Uses silver bands (Rainforest Aviaries & Gardens had red bands?)

Purchases leg bands through L&M

"this breeder sells wholesale or buys babies and bands them with their info on them and that they more than likely don't keep any records and that they wish to not get contacted about there birds."

It appears as if people have been searching for this band for over 10 years now and no one has been able to figure *WHO* the reseller is... only other option I can think of is to join some large parrot groups based out of Florida, start contacting avian vets and bird shops in Florida... you might get lucky and come across someone who knows who the breeder is. Even if you do, you may not be able to find the information you are searching for... (i.e. age of bird - or who the breeder is, if it's not RFA...)

Monica

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Monica

Saw the name of that GW macaw and realized that was the macaw that Michael the Parrot Wizard had... wonder how she's doing now? (I see she's been rehomed so she's a single bird now)

The more I see that FB page, the more I feel like it's a scam... I've found some of those same photos from a breeder, under 2 names, in Africa... and I know that at least one photo was digitally edited...

The greenwing macaws "mislabeled" as scarlets... not entirely incorrect.... those could be ruby macaw hybrids....

loveyourparrot

Meeting neighbors
IMG_1239.JPG IMG_1239.JPG
Any pictures of the conure???

I've seen Ruffled Feathers Aviary in CA, an RFA from WV, Rainforest Aviary in Canada, Rainforest Aviaries and Gardens in Florida.... None of which are likely accurate, including the last one... it's been out of business for over 20 years now.

Limited details about RFA...

They supply Petco with birds (??? - might get lucky if you can get a Petco employee to disclose that information)

RFA breeds/sells
  • Conures (Sun, Patty, CH[?], Jenday, Nanday)
  • Senegals
  • Cockatoos (M2, U2)
  • Caiques (BH)
  • Quakers
  • Macaws (B&G)
  • African Greys

Uses silver bands (Rainforest Aviaries & Gardens had red bands?)

Purchases leg bands through L&M

"this breeder sells wholesale or buys babies and bands them with their info on them and that they more than likely don't keep any records and that they wish to not get contacted about there birds."

It appears as if people have been searching for this band for over 10 years now and no one has been able to figure *WHO* the reseller is... only other option I can think of is to join some large parrot groups based out of Florida, start contacting avian vets and bird shops in Florida... you might get lucky and come across someone who knows who the breeder is. Even if you do, you may not be able to find the information you are searching for... (i.e. age of bird - or who the breeder is, if it's not RFA...)

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I found a few posts on other websites regarding people asking about the RFA FL band, but no one seemed to know the breeder. The RFA website is very suspect, lots of red herrings but maybe they are semi-legitimate. There's a Rainforest Aviaries in San Diego, CA but they breed Greys, some macaws and Magpie Jays, no conures.
Your conure is very handsome.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Curious about Buzzard's silver-colored, metal, closed band. LLA TX (sideways) 200. He's a miligold macaw about 12-13 years old and his previous owner also lived in North central Texas, but didn't say where his first family got him.