• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Video A Grieving Parrot (sad video)

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Most of the time the human grieves over the loss of a parrot. In this video it is the other way around. The parrot is spending the last moments with its owner of 25 years. I wonder what is going on in this birds mind.

rocky'smom

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
:crycry::sorrow::crycry:

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Sinbad knows exactly what is going on, this was so sad to see. Lovely good bye for the lady but very sad for the bird. I am off to find some tissues, my top is drenched with tears.

Begone

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
To be honest I think that is wrong for the birds sake. I'm sure this is a way to give them PTSD.
I would never allowed my birds near if that was me.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
This was often done in hospice. I saw several pets on the person's bed in the last few days. The cats would not leave, even to eat, drink or use a litter box. Never was there a bird doing this. If parrots could cry tears it would help release emotions.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
I used to volunteer in an aged care facility and the resident cat colony would always congregate around the bed of the next patient who was to pass over. It was such a weird thing to experience for the first few times. Never have I been able to comprehend how animals seem to know when death is approaching the people they live with. The cats I had seen doing this were not the sort of lap cats that I have at home...they were basically old pets of people already passed or strays that had found themselves happy to stay at the facility for a feed. They would only start to spend a lot of time in company when the end was nearing for a resident, they would all be on the bed or in the room and refuse to leave for any reason until a few hours after the death had happened and the body had been moved.
I will never understand this but I will always remember it and have fond memories of the comfort the cats brought so many of the patients.

rocky'smom

Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
laurie
When Fast Freddie's owner was dying, Fast Freddie was at the clinic being boarded. This man knew his life was coming to the end, from organ (liver transplant) failure. His sister called the clinic asking that Freddie be brought to hospice so his owner could say goodbye. Even with health certificate, hospice would not allow Freddie in. The owner was heartbroken, Dr Barb, Tony and Nick opened the clinic just so his owner could say goodbye. I watched the in house video, cried for the poor bird, and his owner. Poor Freddie, mourned for weeks, but became Nick's best buddy too. Nick helped Freddie by working daily with patience of saint, his love for Freddie and alot of kindness.

Tiel Feathers

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
I love that the owner didn’t feel like speaking, but finally mustered the strength to tell her bird she loved him. I think that it’s nice that the woman filming brought Seymour in to say goodbye, and that it will help him understand what happened to his person when she’s gone. It’s all so heartbreaking and tragic though.:sad7::sad7::sad7:

Fergus Mom

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Elly
He is walking ever so softly on her, and so gently. 25 years... oh my. 25 years of love and being a wonderful companion for them both.
Heartbreaking, sad, sweet, and ever so real. :sad7::sorrow:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
We know how birds grieve...we watched Milton grieve for his person for over two years. It' is something to see when we visit extended care facilities and he sees an older gentleman. He becomes so excited ..and wants nothing more than to come over and cuddle with the man...

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
Yes, birds and dogs and cats do grieve - I've watched all three. The are sentient and need the closure of being with a loved one when the pass - they need the closure no less than we do.

That CAG was saying good-bye and I'm so glad that he was given the chance to do it.

Lodah

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
We know how birds grieve...we watched Milton grieve for his person for over two years. It' is something to see when we visit extended care facilities and he sees an older gentleman. He becomes so excited ..and wants nothing more than to come over and cuddle with the man...
Oh dear... that is just so sad to hear! Poor Milty! Must be so heartbreaking to see! :sad4:

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
Oh dear... that is just so sad to hear! Poor Milty! Must be so heartbreaking to see! :sad4:
Milton was a different bird the first two years he was with us...quiet, unassuming, and very fearful of anything new in his world...definitely un-'toolike behavior.
When his heart had healed, he made the "leap of faith", as I always call it, to trust again. That's when Milty "became" the Milty we see today...happy and full of life. :)

As for what happens when we visit, it is bittersweet for us to see...the residents don't know Milty's history, so they just think he's very friendly...it gladdens the hearts of all...Milton's...the residents... and us...:heart: