• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A good friend for a lovebird?

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Hi guys! I currently have a lovebird of 9 months. My little Buckbeak! He is sweet and likes to cuddle. He listens to us and will poo on command over the sink. Basically it is going very well! I would like to adopt another bird and Im wondering if this will break the good relationship I have with buck! I don't want a female lovebird cause I don't want to make a couple and have reproduction and all. I was thinking of maybe getting some other kind of bird. Maybe a bigger one. Like a conure or a quaker! Is this a good idea! Do conures or quakers get along well with lovebirds? Do you have tips or advices? Thank you!

Attachments

DoubleTake

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Hi guys! I currently have a lovebird of 9 months. My little Buckbeak! He is sweet and likes to cuddle. He listens to us and will poo on command over the sink. Basically it is going very well! I would like to adopt another bird and Im wondering if this will break the good relationship I have with buck! I don't want a female lovebird cause I don't want to make a couple and have reproduction and all. I was thinking of maybe getting some other kind of bird. Maybe a bigger one. Like a conure or a quaker! Is this a good idea! Do conures or quakers get along well with lovebirds? Do you have tips or advices? Thank you!
Quakers can be territorial, they are a invasive species. Conures can also be territorial but not as bad as Quakers. Lovebirds generally dont like other species, other than other lovebird species. You may get lucky though, sounds like Buck is a good bird and may get along with another bird. My Loki is a flirt and loves any birds her size except cockatiels. She loves green cheeks.

As far as your bond with buck being jeopardy. If you have a strong bond then probably wont be an issue except he may see the new bird as a threat for your attention. If they do hit it off, there may be a slight change in your relationship, but you will still be in his flock. Worse comes to worse you may just become the 3rd wheel.

Littlelovebird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Laurie
Quakers can be territorial, they are a invasive species. Conures can also be territorial but not as bad as Quakers. Lovebirds generally dont like other species, other than other lovebird species. You may get lucky though, sounds like Buck is a good bird and may get along with another bird. My Loki is a flirt and loves any birds her size except cockatiels. She loves green cheeks.

As far as your bond with buck being jeopardy. If you have a strong bond then probably wont be an issue except he may see the new bird as a threat for your attention. If they do hit it off, there may be a slight change in your relationship, but you will still be in his flock. Worse comes to worse you may just become the 3rd wheel.
Ah thank you and good to know about quakers and conures!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
I wrote a comment on a post very similar to yours, I will paste my comment from there for you, I hope it helps (the green comment is someone elses that I elaborated on):

¨JLcribber said:

If you have a good bond with your bird you should be more worried about the two birds not getting along.¨

¨This is what it boils down to.

If you have a good relationship and you still spend time with that bird after another has been introduced, it is very unlikely that you will lose that bond, no matter if the other is bonded to you or not.

As for the new bird, well, I fell into that trap. I had a lone lovebird, Sydney, sex unknown, and we had/have a great relationship. But I felt he needed a little of his own kind, a buddy. I brought home another bird, Jaime, Male, and when I finally introduced them, they did not get along. Both birds loved me... they loved my man... but together, no. They eventually accepted each other as flock mates but never bonded. They didn´t have the iconic snuggle pose nor preen each other.

When I introduced the 3rd bird, this one was an ¨untamed¨ hen, Aldora, so I had no bond with her yet. She hooked up with Jaime. I ended up housing them together and Me and Jaime still have a strong bond. His love for her does not get in the way of our relationship. He was/is a great father and let me handle chicks and we would feed them together once they left the nest. That´s how much he trusts me.

So in summary, I have experienced a success and a failed pairing. I also have a sibling pairing who both have good relationships with me and my man, and are the iconic lovebird pair that you imagine when you think of lovebirds.

The outcome has been the same on all three ocassions, the relationships between human and bird in our house has never been hindered by the addition of new birds.

Oh, and now a 6 bird flock, Sydney is still alone.

If you have the resources for a second bird, go for it :) Just keep in mind they will need housed separately at first and in the event of non compatibility then they will need permanently housed separately.¨

Bearing in mind, this comment was written for someone wanting a second lovebird. If you brought home a different species, you would never be able to house them together.

Depends on how tight your realtionship is. If you are really close to your lovebird, I don´t think much will change as long as you aren´t treating him any differently.

PS, you could get a second male lovebird. Or even a female if you are happy to boil any eggs (I personally don´t have the time for boiling and waiting for it to cool I just replace with dummy eggs and smash them)

Last edited:

DoubleTake

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brian
Depends on how tight your realtionship is. If you are really close to your lovebird, I don´t think much will change as long as you aren´t treating him any differently.
Strong is good but it will be 50/50 if he accepts the new bird as a threat. I'd like to think I have a pretty good bond with Loki but if she is interested in another bird she will nip at me because I am trying to take her away from her new friend. Once I get a hold of her though she settles down.

Attachments

nu2birds

Real Name
Kurt
Just be prepared to house separately and let them out separately..........maybe, eventually, you can have supervised play dates. I would not mix species with Lovebirds. Do you know the sex of Buckbeak? If a male, I would try and get another male.........there is never a guarentee that they will get along. However there would be less of a chance of two females getting along than two males and a male and a female is iffy if they do not bond. A male and a female that are not bonded and do not get along could be lethal. Good luck and keep us up to date on you and Buckbeak! Love the name.