• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Finch Experiment

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I recently evacuated with all my birds for a hurricane. When I returned, I had one flight cage with all (20+) finches in it. They had come from 5 different cages. They are all banded by color but in some cases there are 2 alike, say a black head/purple breast/green back hen with a blue band. In this case one is a lot younger than the other so generally I can tell them apart, but I thought what if I accidentally separate them from their bond-mate? Do they know better than I do how they want to 'flock?'

So I opened the flight cage they were in and all the other cages and waited approximately 29 hours.

They began flying out and assembling themselves here and there, as well as exploring the room. Almost immediately the baby finch went to a high cage and his parents joined him (he is near weaning I think). I left the room so they did not feel intimidated by me, but continued to go back and monitor the situation. I did place food and water in all cages as well as around the room just in case someone couldn't find their way.

Next day, everyone had a home cage. The ones that live in my wood/glass aviary were all there. The baby and parents were joined by 2 others. Many from the double aviary had gone home. One pair that had eggs in a small cage before evacuation separated, the hen going back to the nest/cage but the male moved to the big aviary. The hen had a new mate, plus another pair moved in with them (30X18X18 cage). I did move the baby and parents back down to a lower cage so I can keep a better eye on him.

They're all quite happy where they chose to be. I can tell which breeding family they are in by band color, so I'm able to control that - but there's no need to repair anyone; they all made good choices or paired up with a same sex friend.

The surprise was that once they chose a cage, they stayed in it even though the door was open. I may try this again sometime!

ode.to.parrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Cary
I think it's awesome that you let them chose where to flock. :) Sounds like you have some happy finches!

Distaff

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Mary
My guys are nearly always in their flight cage, and their door is always open.
It is a safe secure room for them - another bird choice I don't quite understand.

greys4u

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Sounds like musical cages! :giggle:

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I've heard of a parrot breeder who tries to let her birds choose their mates and she reports that these are more successful parents - hope you don't have your very own population explosion!

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Very interesting. Great that you let them choose.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@tka I feel sure it is a better method. Plus when they choose a mate, they're nesting within the week. When it is forced, it can take several months.

Right now I have the 5 wk old baby, and 3 in the nest. This time last year I had 24 young. So, a minor population explosion would be ok! I control it by separating males/females in the winter.

Princessbella

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Theresa
That is so cool!

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you! No one was happier than my hubby, who was out of town at the time!

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
Oh I let my finches do this to sometimes! (Exemptions being my super flighty spices, and a very elderly society). It's so fun to watch them "visit" each other's cages, even though they always go back to their own. It started out when my chocolate and white society Blu started escaping every time I opened the door :blink:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
@Featheredfuffs did Blu have a certain place he wanted to visit? My canary hen kept visiting my male, Robin. I tried to put them together but he hissed at her. After the hurricane, I realized I'd put all 3 (another is a hen) together for several days - so now they're all in one flight cage.

Featheredfuffs

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pearl
@Featheredfuffs did Blu have a certain place he wanted to visit? My canary hen kept visiting my male, Robin. I tried to put them together but he hissed at her. After the hurricane, I realized I'd put all 3 (another is a hen) together for several days - so now they're all in one flight cage.
Yeah, he was in a separate cage right next to my flight cage (I separated him and his mate for breeding), and as his three kids fledged and were just learning to fly (they kept on crashing he dicided he was done with the whole parenting thing and went to hang out with the rest of the flock:lol:

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
My finches don't have anyone technically to visit except the new eckie, but I do the same with regard to cage door. I pretty much leave it open most of the day if I am home. They trade off venturing out to play on the play stand or to go to their favorite spots to perch, but they always go back to their home when they get sleepy, hungry, bored, etc.

Atomiklan

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Andrew
This is Charlie's "spot" haha. That's where he likes to sit most of the day when out of the cage. He'll usually fly up there after breakfast and then just observe the room for awhile before getting ancy and deciding to attack the money plant. That's another funny story for another day (which maybe I will post if I can get a good picture or video). I wouldn't say they are the healthiest, but they definitely do get a good bit of exercise.

IMG_20170927_135645.jpg

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Thank you! I like Charlie's spot. :) I have a similar one That the finches like....darn I can't find it. Hubby has a toy train about 10 feet up that they 'ride'. Also a shelf in the LR the parrotlet enjoys. :)