• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A few questions

Sage_Exotics

Moving in
Real Name
Sage
So I want to get some zebra finches. It’ll be a few months since I’m repainting so I’ve got plenty of time to consult my vet but I’m impatient and have a couple burning questions.

Some care guides say not to use grit, some day you should. What do you think?

Some websites say to remove the eggs to avoid overpopulation, others say this will stress out the birds. Opinions?

Any mistakes finch/bird owners make that I should avoid?

Thanks in advance ❤

EkkieLu

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Tricia
Welcome! Raising baby birds is an awesome experience. You're doing your home work and should do very well. I'm not a finch gal but you'll get plenty of help from the good folks here on AA! Glad you're here!

Zara

♥❀Livin´ in Lovebird Land❀☼
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Some care guides say not to use grit, some day you should. What do you think?
I hear crushed shells is a good option, but I am not 100%

Some websites say to remove the eggs to avoid overpopulation, others say this will stress out the birds. Opinions?
If you don´t want more birds, the eggs must be destroyed. I am not sure if they need to be replaced but if they do, they are sold @ DummyEggs.com, Dummy Eggs Help Stop Egg Laying in Pet Birds! Fake Eggs, Solid Plastic Eggs in all sizes. .

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
Zara has it. There is grit and thre are grits, plural. I don’t give mine the blue stuff from the pet store because I am afraid of impaction. I do give them crushed egg shells, cuttlebone, and occasionally charcoal ( just a little). It would be great to also add kelp powder and alfalfa powder, organic, to those.

If you don’t want babies please reconsider zebra finches! They breed and breed. Take out the nests, they nest in the food dish or on the floor. A 6 week old will try to breed. Lol it’s ridiculous!

If you do go with zebras, may I suggest 2 of the same sex. Or 6+. A number in between guarantees fighting and setting up more cages.