• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A few Questions

Percy&Ivan

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Ok so I'm definitely not doing anything soon, but just had to ask a few questions, The itty bitty pet corn snakes do they bite, do they eat live food?

Sylvi_

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sylvi
To my knowledge, yes. I believe all snakes eat either live or frozen food.
And it's safe to assume that you may get bitten eventually by them, though I hear corn snakes are more docile and easier to handle then most snakes.

Here's a care sheet with some information on them: Corn Snake Care Sheet

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
Thanks, but after a little research myself I discovered they get up tto six feet so I do not want a corn snake, Yuck! I think I'll stick with a tortoise or chameleon

Senneth

Strolling the yard
Corn snakes generally get between 4-6 feet, with females being on the larger end of things. That's not as much snake as you think it is. The largest I've ever been around was about 6 feet and maybe the width of my first 3 fingers slightly stacked. Normal for them is 4-5 feet.

I feed all of my snakes frozen/thawed (f/t) and none of them have had any issues with that. Any and all snakes can and will bite, eventually. Play with a snake long enough and you'll get bit. Generally speaking, it's not as bad as it sounds especially with the smaller species. There are many species of snakes that stay relatively small if corn snakes sound intimidating. Hognose, Kenyan Sand Boa, and Rosy Boas don't get any bigger than 3 feet, with some of the males and more petite females staying closer to 2 feet. There are subspecies of Kings and Milks that also stay in the 3-4 foot range. They're all very manageable sizes and not nearly as big as their length would suggest.

There are also Ball Pythons (often called Royal Pythons) who get between 3-4 feet tops. These guys are quite fat for their length. Gives them the big snake in a little body feel. However, I don't personally consider them to be a good beginner snake as they can be picky and finicky eaters. It's not really a matter of "if" but "when" and "how long". I love my pythons, but there's always that chance that they will randomly decide to go off feed.

I would be careful about Chameleons though. They aren't a good option for beginner herp keepers as they have very specific husbandry needs. I would recommend Leopard or Fat Tail Geckos, or even Bearded Dragons as a nice beginner's lizard. They don't get too big, are forgiving of mistakes, and can be tamed easily enough. I'm always a fan of tortoises and turtles. They have fun personalities.

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
I think I'm down to a tortoise, I really like the horsefield tortoises do you know where I can get one in the US?

Senneth

Strolling the yard
I would check in your area for breeders or even a reptile expo. You can certainly check out pet stores, but I'd be very careful what you end up taking home. Pet stores are often well intentioned but under experienced. You can also check out lllreptile.com or reptilesbymack.com to see if they have any available for you. I'm a personal fan of Hermann's, Red Food, and Leopard tortoises myself :D

Percy&Ivan

Avenue Veteran
Shutterbugs' Best
I've looked on a lot of sites for the horsefield but I can't find any, do you know of any other tortioses that are 6-8" when full grown?

Senneth

Strolling the yard
Most tortoises will get bigger than that. There are many in the 10-14" range though.

Hermann's tortoise 10-11"
Greek tortoise 5-8"
Indian Star tortoise 7-8"

Those are the closest ones I can think of off the top of my head