• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A few musings

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Recently I have been reading "Of Parrots And People", a book I've loved for years (seriously, look it up)
and I have a few of my thoughts and musings I had while reading the book to share.

Give a brainy 5 year old a Swiss army knife, a jetpack, and a megaphone, and you pretty much have a large parrot.

Sometimes abuse is more damaging than neglect. A rescued Macaw had to be cut out of his cage, he had been stuffed in it when he was purchased, and had long outgrown the door. I almost cried reading this paragraph.

Many birds, even today, with unknowledgeable owners rarely see the light of day. Sitting alone in a cage. Waiting for their owners to remember they have a pet.

The silent ones suffer more. Parrots that scream for attention get rehomed often, and have a chance at a better life. Others stay quiet, sometimes starving or dying of thirst as a result.

African Greys can speak with incredible comprehension, take Morgan. She knows how to use a telephone to speed-dial favorite humans when she feels like a chat. She can name dog breeds that pass by her window. In her own words: "Morgan wants a puppy. A beagle." Beagles are her favorite dogs. She can repeat a new human's name and introduce herself after only hearing it a few times. Take this example from the book: "Hi, Mira. I'm Morgan."

Seriously, this book is a must-read. I need to find it for retail and add it to my collection permanently.

Marvel_ous

Sprinting down the street
Real Name
Trinity
Not from the book, my own findings.

On this forum:

Macaw people seem to be responsible and tough, often seeming a little abrasive to newcomers, although, like all of us, they want the best for parrots.

Amazon people tend to be like Grey people. Geeky, smart, friendly, and usually have answers.

Conure people seem to be overall friendly and easygoing, though not afraid to defend their opinions!

Cockatoo people generally seem to be friendly, very open and welcoming to newcomers, but, like Macaw people, won't hesitate to give out information, sometimes not what people want to hear.

I guess we really do start to act like our animals!

Brittany0208

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
What about Vasa people? Even though I'm probably the only one :xflove:

TikiMyn

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
And lovie people?:p I love hearing your musings! And I don’t know that book, I Will defianlty look for it today and probably read it in a day:D

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
The book sounds rather interesting I will try to remember to look it up.
I like your observations on birds and their owners :)

d_msparkles

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
I personally approve of your evaluation of Conure owners. :D:dancing:

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I guess folks with different species might be a blend? :) That would make sense.

@Nikomania and @saroj12 must be very well balanced, indeed. :laugh: I know there are others with widely varied flocks but they escape me atm. Oooh, @Danita too.

I know the are others with large flocks but only one or a few species @webchirp @Macawnutz @finchly @ncGreyBirdLady Would that mean they might lean more towards their dominant species' traits?

Fun musings to think about! :hehe:

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I'm a macaw-grey-pionus-cockatiel person. Mixed well like a good ol' Long Island Iced Tea.
:shocked5::lol:
Long Island tea! My weakness! (In 2 ways, since I slide to the floor after just one):shocked5:

I’’m a finch-canary-cockatiel-pionus-parrotlet-caique person. Don’t even say what you are thinking.:canthear:

Nikomania

Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
I guess folks with different species might be a blend? :) That would make sense.

@Nikomania and @saroj12 must be very well balanced, indeed. :laugh: I know there are others with widely varied flocks but they escape me atm. Oooh, @Danita too.

I know the are others with large flocks but only one or a few species @webchirp @Macawnutz @finchly @ncGreyBirdLady Would that mean they might lean more towards their dominant species' traits?

Fun musings to think about! :hehe:

We're a different blend of sheer craziness! :lol: