• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Few Interesting Facts About Veggies

iamwhoiam

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I liked feeding the birds carrot tops but I rarely see carrots with tops any more. Sometimes I can find them at Sprouts.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
I get carrots with tops but they dont stay fresh very long. Two to three days at most. My two love them mostly as a bungie rope to swing on or when wet to get a bath.

Last edited:

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
That is a good list thanks for sharing.

Alfalfa sprouts are somewhat controversial. Some say they’re great and some say not good for birds. So I use alfalfa powder and sprinkle it over my chop.

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
Another great useful article, thank you for sharing :)
I’ve tried sprouting almonds but they seem to take much longer to sprout than everything else.
Does anyone know the best way to sprout them?
Burt will eat them if I soak them overnight but he doesn’t seem to enjoy them this way nearly as much as if they are fresh.

Wayley's Dailies

Hit the Road
Real Name
Marsha
Another great useful article, thank you for sharing :)
I’ve tried sprouting almonds but they seem to take much longer to sprout than everything else.
Does anyone know the best way to sprout them?
Burt will eat them if I soak them overnight but he doesn’t seem to enjoy them this way nearly as much as if they are fresh.
In the States it's impossible to sprout almonds unless you get them straight from a farmer or tree, because they're all sold pasteurized and won't sprout. Not even Organic ones. I hate that the Gov say what we can eat and grow :(

Rain Bow

Rollerblading along the road
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
In the States it's impossible to sprout almonds unless you get them straight from a farmer or tree, because they're all sold pasteurized and won't sprout. Not even Organic ones. I hate that the Gov say what we can eat and grow :(
It may be different for @Shezbug . She's in Australia.

I agree the gov. has made some dumb & good rules reg. farming. The almond one is baloney!

I bought S. Potatoes this week. I knew that they had to be cooked but couldn't remember why. Almost all the veggies buddy eats are raw as he prefers them. Chopped isn't really his thing but very slowly he's warming to it.

@Lady Jane , Thank you! Very informative as all your shares are. Thank you for taking the time to make us better parronts!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Shez
It may be different for @Shezbug . She's in Australia.

I agree the gov. has made some dumb & good rules reg. farming. The almond one is baloney!

I bought S. Potatoes this week. I knew that they had to be cooked but couldn't remember why. Almost all the veggies buddy eats are raw as he prefers them. Chopped isn't really his thing but very slowly he's warming to it.

@Lady Jane , Thank you! Very informative as all your shares are. Thank you for taking the time to make us better parronts!
I believe they can be sold here as un pasteurised. It can be tricky finding unpasteurised ones though as they don’t have to be labelled here as being pasteurised or not. So you have to do your homework, the ones in the sprouting mix I get Burt are not pasteurised.