• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A Fall Chop, 4 Ways

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Bakers pumpkin, roasted with RPO and Saigon cinnamon,Butternut squash voodles,Pumpkin guts and seeds,Ruby garnet sweet potato,Beets, Poblano peppers, Green pepper, Sugar snap peas, Broccoli,Brussels sprouts, Pomegranate arials, Raw cranberries, Sweet corn, Dandelion greens , Spinach, Mint, Cilantro, Spelt, Tricolor quinoa, 15 bean soup mix, Bee pollen, Sesame seeds, Milk thistle seeds,Fennel seeds,Hemp berries, Black chia seeds, Cloves, Vegetable rotini, uncooked; Harrison's Pepper (not my birds' staple pellet, so it's a good variety choice here), chick peas, & peas. I probably forgot something.

I divide this up 4 ways and mix with three different grain bases: faro, spelt, & Royal Texmati organic rice blend. The fourth division i won't add grains to but will add warm, soaked Zupreem Natural pellets mixed with RPO. That way, I really have several different chops.

I also add fresh seasonal produce (banana and Gala apple in the picture), plus things like ground flax, my herb/seed chop sprinkle, cinnamon sticks, star anise, etc.

image.jpeg

Clueless

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
OMG will you sell me some of this for my budgies? I made one batch and was totally exhausted from the effort. Your ingredients are just the best.
Yeah, we all need to head to his house and park in the driveway when he makes these things..... we can beg, right?

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Yeah, we all need to head to his house and park in the driveway when he makes these things..... we can beg, right?

Hey, I have 4 macaws and a sassy Amazon to feed! I'm making miniature birdy muffins this weekend, too.

feathergirl

Walking the driveway
Bakers pumpkin, roasted with RPO and Saigon cinnamon,Butternut squash voodles,Pumpkin guts and seeds,Ruby garnet sweet potato,Beets, Poblano peppers, Green pepper, Sugar snap peas, Broccoli,Brussels sprouts, Pomegranate arials, Raw cranberries, Sweet corn, Dandelion greens , Spinach, Mint, Cilantro, Spelt, Tricolor quinoa, 15 bean soup mix, Bee pollen, Sesame seeds, Milk thistle seeds,Fennel seeds,Hemp berries, Black chia seeds, Cloves, Vegetable rotini, uncooked; Harrison's Pepper (not my birds' staple pellet, so it's a good variety choice here), chick peas, & peas. I probably forgot something.

I divide this up 4 ways and mix with three different grain bases: faro, spelt, & Royal Texmati organic rice blend. The fourth division i won't add grains to but will add warm, soaked Zupreem Natural pellets mixed with RPO. That way, I really have several different chops.

I also add fresh seasonal produce (banana and Gala apple in the picture), plus things like ground flax, my herb/seed chop sprinkle, cinnamon sticks, star anise, etc.

View attachment 258235
You seem to love your parrots very much so I am going to guess that you do not know that Saigon Cinnamon is the worse choice of cinnamon to give a parrot. Saigon cinnamon has the highest coumarin level of any cinnamon on the market. For the safety of your parrots and the frequency of it being fed it would be best to stick with Ceylon Cinnamon. Coumarin can damage the liver.

Saigon cinnamon - Wikipedia

Attachments

Last edited:

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
@feathergirl , thank you! Hopefully the milk thistle will offset this until I switch. They didn't get Saigon cinnamon regularly.

feathergirl

Walking the driveway
@feathergirl , thank you! Hopefully the milk thistle will offset this until I switch. They didn't get Saigon cinnamon regularly.
Love milk thistle and its healing properties but remember that we live in a very toxic world. A little Saigon cinnamon probably wouldn't have much of an effect on them, I just wanted you to know that it isn't a good choice in cinnamon for a parrot :)

aooratrix

Macawaholic
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matthew
Love milk thistle and its healing properties but remember that we live in a very toxic world. A little Saigon cinnamon probably wouldn't have much of an effect on them, I just wanted you to know that it isn't a good choice in cinnamon for a parrot :)

I appreciate it.

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Didn't have to beg........ just had to be the high bidder!

Clueless

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
This is the cinnamon I own. Does it need to be organic?

20180121_234000.jpg

Familyof12

Rollerblading along the road
Real Name
Liz
I would prefer all leafy produce to be organic. We do organic as much as we can although some "organic" isn't really organic at all. We do our research the best we can. Some things we grew up with were not organic but provide organic versions of the same but if you know the seller to be better than an organic farmer, use it. I try to make my strawberries at the end of summer here when the are at their peak, in flats. Then we jam and can. We do the same as much as we can for a lot. It's a lot cheaper to have black beans boiled with smoked ham hock without salt then can them. The cost is pennies on the dollar.

If I need an herb, I probably have it growing already. I love planting, letting them grow anywhere they want and finding them in funny places. I recently found some onions under our orange tree, they were quite large. They are in may garage over my dryer in a box for curing. Lettuce, broccoli, cauliflower, arugula, spinach, 8 different lettuces are being sprouted right now in the front room with heat and a lot of sun. As soon as they are large enough I take them into the now empty aviary where it's cooler by 10 degrees and they sit there for a week, then they get planted. Some are direct sow like the beans but I have to wait a few more weeks until I'm in the safety zone to plant those. Then the tomatoes and then cucumbers, the rest I usually buy organic or farmer's markets. I also have a local farm nearby where you can voltmeter and order veggies there and buy what's in season. We're lucky we have a mild climate. I take every advantage of it around my family and home.