• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A&E or HQ 80x40

TurkeyBird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
Happy New Year everyone! I will be ordering a new cage next week and its down to two almost identical cages. I have decided on the 80x40 double over the 64x32 double. The HQ cage is 4 inches taller but besides that I don't have any idea the differences between the two brands. This is for a male GW who is finally getting his house upgraded, until we have space for a walk in. Any opinions or preferences between the two brands or cages would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Macawnutz

Seriously Nutz!
Super Administrator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Sarah
There is little difference in either one of those cages. I would buy Kings over either but between A&E and HQ it would make no difference to me.

I glanced at the prices for them though... Call Ron at Centurion and ask for pricing on the 62x62 Centurion Cage & Aviaries | Cages If you call and talk to him he will give you a deal.

If you could catch him at a bird fair he would do it for MUCH less.

Matto

Rollerblading along the road
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Matt
HQ is higher quality imo.

finchly

Cruising the avenue
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Finchly
I have both brands. Our HQ’s rusted quickly but they were outdoors in salt air so maybe that’s not a good representation.

There isn’t a lot of difference. I always go for bigger size, even if it’s just a few inches. I will say my A&E playtop cage in sandstone cleans up easier than any other cage we have.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
I glanced at the prices for them though... Call Ron at Centurion and ask for pricing on the 62x62 Centurion Cage & Aviaries | Cages If you call and talk to him he will give you a deal.

If you could catch him at a bird fair he would do it for MUCH less.
:fairy2:Fantastic suggestion! They're not so much more if you take into account many of us plan to buy a walkin eventually anyway. It would actually save the money and hassle of the middle cage.

I think a lot of people (myself included) just dont consider aviaries off hand. Too big, too pricey, maybe one day.... But your little tip would help a lot! Any suggestions on how we can find out which bird fairs he might be going to? Could be worth a road trip if it would save us enough $$.
:car:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
A&E is the better brand IMO when it comes to LARGE cages. They have BIG wheels on their cages whereas all the big a$$ cages I got from HQ had tiny little wheels that eventually bend and break.

My A&E I have had for 6 or 7 years now and no rust
The HQ I had (no longer have) began rusting after a year.

TurkeyBird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
Ordered the A&E one just now, as well as a ton of rope perches and toys etc, but no idea where to find 40" large diameter perches, the ones I have are 38" and I might jerry rig them to fit 40" across. Thanks for all the info and I'm sure my GW will be terrified but excited about his new larger house. Also I have read up about padding / blocking the piece of the divider that sticks up in the bottom of the cage, and I will be taking care of that thing as well.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
Let us know what you use for the divider? That's the part that worries me about the split bottom cages.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Ordered the A&E one just now, as well as a ton of rope perches and toys etc, but no idea where to find 40" large diameter perches, the ones I have are 38" and I might jerry rig them to fit 40" across. Thanks for all the info and I'm sure my GW will be terrified but excited about his new larger house. Also I have read up about padding / blocking the piece of the divider that sticks up in the bottom of the cage, and I will be taking care of that thing as well.
A&E website sells java and dragonwood perches in all sizes :)

I like the 80" perches too :)

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
Not sure what to tell you about the divider bottom piece. But it's probably the worst thing that gets pooped on in the cage.

Dibaltic

Meeting neighbors
Real Name
Andrew
Let us know what you use for the divider? That's the part that worries me about the split bottom cages.
For mine I used frost king pipe insulation. It's black foam like a pool noodle but it's dark colored like the cage is colored, so it doesn't draw his attention. It's also a lot thinner than a pool noodle so it's not noticeable when looking at the cage, but still soft. I found it at Tractor Supply.

I cover mine with news paper too since my GW's favorite perch is directly above that divider part; a good majority of the poop ends up on that area.

TurkeyBird

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Brandon
A&E website sells java and dragonwood perches in all sizes :)

I like the 80" perches too :)
The A&E website looks to only sell to registered retailers not just anyone? Asking for tax ID number to register, they have some on Amazon but not the same variety (aka 40" and 80"). If I am completely wrong about this please let me know. Either way I have one 40" perch coming thanks to Seriously Nutz as well as other goodies, and will wait to see how the items I have will fill up the new cage. Im sure he (the spoiled winged thing) will be terrified of this entire thing so the less new items and toys the better at first but I will be looking into the best ways to introduce him to a new home / cage tonight. Thanks for all the info guys!

EDIT: I found the perches from A&E on Amazon all sizes and diameters available.

Last edited:

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
The A&E website looks to only sell to registered retailers not just anyone? Asking for tax ID number to register, they have some on Amazon but not the same variety (aka 40" and 80"). If I am completely wrong about this please let me know. Either way I have one 40" perch coming thanks to Seriously Nutz as well as other goodies, and will wait to see how the items I have will fill up the new cage. Im sure he (the spoiled winged thing) will be terrified of this entire thing so the less new items and toys the better at first but I will be looking into the best ways to introduce him to a new home / cage tonight. Thanks for all the info guys!

EDIT: I found the perches from A&E on Amazon all sizes and diameters available.
They never used to only sell to retailers. Try emailing them. I bought my cages from them.

Bokkapooh

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Mercedez
And I certainly bought my 40 and 80" perches from them.