• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Different Kind of Perfect

jax7271

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
I wanted to share my Coco’s story….toos are such special parrots, but please do not get one if you are not in it for the long run..…cockatoos can be the most frustrating and rewarding parrots (both at the same time) you will ever know and you either get them or you don’t….

…that’s what I think anyway :)

When I first saw Coco, a Goffin’s Cockatoo, she just looked so sad….sitting all alone on her cage with no toys and nothing to do. I just knew I had to adopt her. I was going to be her fourth or fifth home; history is a bit sketchy….but from what I was told:

Coco was originally taken from her second or third home where she was kept in a small budgie cage (too small for a budgie in my opinion) for at least two years. She had gotten bigger and her owner was afraid of her. One of the other birds there bit off her one of her toes. She had plucked herself bare and was shearing her wings. Her rescuer at that time, while well meaning, (she loved this bird), was a heavy chain smoker, as was the whole household. After four years or so there, her care giver realized Coco was not happy and another member of the household had become very sick with lung cancer, so they decided to give her up.
When I picked her up, she smelled like a dirty ash tray. The scent of her feathers was so bad, I could hardly stand it on the way home in the car as I am not a smoker. She had that cigarette film over her entire body and her feathers (the few she had) were a brownish yellow. When we got home, I began to wonder what I had done…lol. Coco was clearly not healthy and she screamed for days. We realized fairly quickly that she was malnourished and addicted to nicotine and it took over a year for her to really begin to get better.

I am very happy to say that after three years of love, healthy air and food, her last vet check up was amazing! She is happy, healthy and does not scream anymore unless she really needs to…danger might be lurking on occasion you know….lol. All her tests came back excellent and except for a slightly compromised air sac on one side she now shows no indications that she was so unhealthy just three years ago.

She will likely never fly, as she still shears her wings regularly and the follicles on her back will never get feathers again from plucking, but her chest is now fully feathered and she is beautiful. She loves music and dances every time I sing to her or we put on music. She is quite a character and such a sweetheart that you would never realize how sick she was just a few years ago. She is my “different kind of perfect” girl.

I love her dearly and I cannot imagine our home without her. :heart:

Last edited:

Just-passn-thru

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Suzanne
A beautiful and heartwarming story. It's a good feeling to know there is still hope,"because of people like you" for the many in need of a healthy happy forever home. You are a very special Person and CoCo is indeed a very special Cockatoo.

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
Coco is very lucky to have you. :) Goffins really are amazingly wonderful.

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Thank you for helping Coco have the home, love and care she deserves. :heart: I’m glad that she is so healthy now! We need more pictures of her!

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Awww she looks like she's smiling! Now she has lots to smile about, lucky girl! :)

becdimarc

Walking the driveway
Real Name
becky dimarcantonio
amazing:heart::heart::xflove:! post some photos!!!

Shezbug

ASK ME FOR PICTURES OF MY MACAW!
Super Moderator
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Shez
Oh what a sad story, but what a happy ending. I am so pleased she found you!
Coco is beautiful, so are you for taking her, loving her and showing her a good life.

jax7271

Meeting neighbors
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Julie
Thank you everyone for your kind words....I will post some photos when I get the time...lol
Sometimes I think it's important to let people know what some of the birds go through, especially cockatoos. I am hoping to adopt another too at some point. :)

Nancy B

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Nancy
Thank you everyone for your kind words....I will post some photos when I get the time...lol
Sometimes I think it's important to let people know what some of the birds go through, especially cockatoos. I am hoping to adopt another too at some point. :)
I feel terrible about that too, if I lived in a place where I had an aviary I would have more. I don't think I could handle more than my Freddy bird! The more I get to know him, the more I know he's a handful! lol