• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A deformed blood feather

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
Hey my 6 year old male tiel (storm) has a blood feather growing in deformed (can't get a picture till my bf comes home and holds storm.for me as holding a wrigging tiel and a phone don't work lol)
He keeps messing with it and doing his little noises when he causes himself pain (knocking normal blood feathers when preening) it's not broken but causing him is comfort. Is it best to leave him to deal with it and keep a eye on it or take him vets?

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle

Mizzely

Lil Monsters Bird Toys
Super Moderator
Vendor
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Shawna [she/her]
In what way is it deformed? Do you have a vet you can call and ask? If necessary are you able to pull it?

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
If it’s just a broken blood feather and it keeps bothering him, I would probably pull it. If you are uncomfortable or unsure of how to do that, then they could do it at the vets office.

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
If it’s just a broken blood feather and it keeps bothering him, I would probably pull it. If you are uncomfortable or unsure of how to do that, then they could do it at the vets office.
It's not broken it's just irritating him. If it breaks I will pull it iv pulled broken blood feathers on him.before

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
It's now bent side ways but not bleeding but I can't seem to find where the base of the feather that goes into the skin is. My boyfriend is gonna keep an eye on him while I'm out tommorow and if it starts bleeding and I can't pull it I'll go straight to the vets as there is a out of hours vets i have found not to far from me. (No more than an hour) or in day time my local vets (half hour way)

Spirit Warrior

Walking the driveway
Avenue Veteran
It's not there now. This morning it's dissapiered. He's not in pain and it's bled a tiny bit but not atm I'm scared to move his feathers to see if it's out in case the whole feather is not out and it causes it to bleed. I think I should keep an eye on him and if an bleeding happens straight to the vet. The other two tiels he is housed with have stopped trying to peck at him since the bent feather came out. Is this cause the can tell he's not weak any more so are leaving him alone. It really confused me when they started picking on him cause they live in the same cage happily with the odd disagreement

Tiel Feathers

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Deanna
Glad the issue seems to be resolved. Your other birds could very well have been picking on him because he was showing signs of weakness.