• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

a couple of questions

Mommabird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
Is it true that parrotlets can't screech? I read they cant, but want to know for sure. Also can you keep 2 parrotlets live together happily?

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
They can screech. However it is not very shrill. Much quieter than a lovie.

javi

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
JAVI
Oh. I also know several same sexed pairs that live together quite well. Especially if raised together. Adding one to an older bird can be tricky though, they can be territorial.

Mommabird

Strolling the yard
Real Name
Patricia
Oh. I also know several same sexed pairs that live together quite well. Especially if raised together. Adding one to an older bird can be tricky though, they can be territorial.
Okay thank you.

M_Riddly

Strolling the yard
To have multiple, they need to be socialized at a young age or by someone experienced with parrotlet socialization. They are very well known for fighting to the death. They are also fairly territorial. Their contact calls and "screeches" are this repetitive high pitched noise that is fast one after the other. It's hard to describe and hard to understand how high it is unless you actually hear one in person. And it can be louder than you would think for such small guys. They are great birds, though. I have many of them and they are highly social with each other. But only because I have had them all since they were babies and handfed most of them. They are all around the same age except for one who I just got. He is still being introduced and is a full grown adult. I would suggest one over two. They are much more people affectionate when housed as a solo bird.

Denice

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Denice Crago
I have a female Parrotlet and she is pretty quiet, so far it's been about 8 months no screeching.

Known Space

Meeting neighbors
Depends on what you call screeching. Her contact call is a really loud chirp. No screams, though.

My parrotlet will call me if I'm out of sight but she knows I'm there. And the whole street will know if the windows are open. But she's generally quiet. I 3 other roommates and they never complain.

There are tons of anecdotes of people who keep same sex, or even oposite sex pairs together in a cage just fine... ..for now. There are also many more of people who even keep same sex pairs in the same cage with eventually the female turning on the male in an instant. They're territorial and while they do live in small groups in the wild, you have to be aware that the wild isn't captivity. And they have more opportunity to stake out their territory in the wild. Whereas in a cage, they're forced to cohabit. So their behaviors will be somewhat different.

Always have as many cages as you do birds, regardless of circumstances. They may not all be in use, but it's always good to have a spare were you to need one. Especially with parrotlets, you will start them off in two. If they ever do decide to cohabit in a single cage, it will be completely their own choice.

NirAntae

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Jennie
You can certainly keep multiple parrotlets - but you're much better off having each in their own cage, so they can 'talk' to each other, but not get territorial with each other (unless you are trying to breed, of course). Chances are high they can share 'out of cage time' together, but make sure it is always supervised, just to be safe.

All parrots 'can' screech. But a parrotlet screech is more like a shrill human whistle than the eardrum-splitting, headache inducing blasts a conure or, gods forbid, a 'too, can produce. I've only had girls so far - apparently boys can be a bit louder - but they rarely got above a relatively pleasant chirp, even when they were complaining about something (like me leaving the room.) Their normal little 'talking to myself' sounds are actually so soft they're hard for me to hear XD (But to be fair, I have substantial hearing loss.)