• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

Pictures A common North American Thamnophis sirtalis, I belive. AKA a Garter Snake.

CatsNbirds

Walking the driveway
Hi all :bliss: ,

I just want to start out by saying I :heart: :heart: :heart: reptiles and amphibians more then any other group of animals... Anyway, I am posting some photo's a injured Thamnophis sirtalis, that was "fixed up" and released. I hope you all enjoy.

Notice he/she looks a little :heart: shaped :D .

Back to nature. I hope he/she is enjoying themselves :) .

Off and crawling, not even a goodbye :hehe: .

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
I always liked them, cool little critters that keep the bugs down and don't bother anybody. We had a bigger one that used to hang out in our yard year after year. Usually you never saw but but occasionally I'd stumble on him in the high grass trying to sun or find bugs :)
One year I'd mowed the grass and found one that I never saw that got hit by the mower :sad4: I felt pretty bad about that but usually as soon as they heard, saw, or felt the mower coming they slithered away as fast as they could and it looked like he tried to stay hidden and got caught. Of course he was gone and hoped it wasn't the guy that loved our yard though I'm sure there were quite a few hanging around as it was big with lots of places to hide.
New place has a tiny yard and haven't seen any yet but there are plenty of ants here to eat so hope something that likes ants takes up residence soon.

CatsNbirds

Walking the driveway
I always liked them, cool little critters that keep the bugs down and don't bother anybody.
I am glad to see that I am not the only one who likes them. I am not sure about keeping the bugs down. I was under the impression that there natural diet was earthworms, small fish, and other invertebrates like snails and slugs. But I could be wrong.

We had a bigger one that used to hang out in our yard year after year.
That is so so cool :) . I know I know, I am a weirdo :banghead: .

Usually you never saw but but occasionally I'd stumble on him in the high grass trying to sun or find bugs :)

Nifty :D .

One year I'd mowed the grass and found one that I never saw that got hit by the mower :sad4: .
Do not blame yourself.

I felt pretty bad about that
Accidents happen.

but usually as soon as they heard,
Snakes do "hear", at least not in the traditional sense that a mammal would. A snakes "hearing" is based off of vibrations. If you want further details, please have a look at this link: Vibrating Skulls Help Snakes Hear | Science/AAAS | News .

A snakes vision is still poor when compared to most mammalian species. But, a snakes vision is much better with moving items then stationary items /intimate objects.

or felt the mower coming they slithered away as fast as they could
Yes, that has been my experience too.

and it looked like he tried to stay hidden and got caught.
I completely agree. Since, I would assume the vibrations of a lawn mower would be "rather hard to miss".

Of course he was gone and hoped it wasn't the guy that loved our yard though I'm sure there were quite a few hanging around as it was big with lots of places to hide.
I doubt very highly it was the guy you loved. Since, unless you only mowed your lawn every couple of years :hehe: :rofl: , I am sure that particular snake got "used to" the lawnmower.

New place has a tiny yard and haven't seen any yet but there are plenty of ants here to eat so hope something that likes ants takes up residence soon.
Maybe you will find an aardvark ;) :lol: ?

@GuineaPigster , @Dartman @Lyzzi , Thank for the likes. I am glad other people like reptiles too :) !

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
HHHMMM.... :cool:

Mariannee

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Luv them myself. A child's best friend, lol.

Anne & Gang

Riding the Skies
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Anne
cool!!