• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A case of the Sneaks...

Tanya

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Lemmy, chewing on a toy, notices I'm watching. While maintaining eye contact, he ever so stealthily switches to playing with the toy right next to that one... He's a sneaky little guy! Trying to play the old misdirection trick in case I get any ideas about playing with his toys!

His other favorite is the slow-drop. If I look at him and he can't do the redirect, he'll slowly drop the foot holding the toy until he can get it against the perch and put the toes of the other foot on top. Can't see it now that it's part of the perch! Wonder if Ducorps are little tricksters in the wild, always trying to con each other out of that fun piece of whatever has their buddies attention.

Here he is mid-drop while playing with a little plastic magnifying glass for the first time:
IMG_20190607_160141.jpg

Is this a D2 thing or a cockatoo thing? Rhubarb is not nearly so clever about hiding her goodies.

Last edited:

Tanya

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Tanya
Thanks @Fuzzy! It was super easy to make. Got a scrap of lumber and drilled some holes. At our local Home Depot they have a trash bin where they throw the cut ends people don't want. I go and get a few untreated bits for the birds every so often. (I'm careful to never ever give them pressure treated wood cause that's super toxic.) The chains are from old, long-destroyed toys. :)

Weirdest part of the whole situation is that I can't recall ever taking a toy away from him!

WallyLoopey

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Kate
That’s hilarious! My guy, though not a cockatoo, could care less..he throws his foot toys to the dogs!