• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A Budgie Rant

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
What Budgies Are And Are Not

Parakeet is simply listed as a "Budgerigar" with the scientific name, Melopsittacus undulatus. This scientific name in Latin is the same given to the parakeet. So they are in fact the same species.

For this writing I will refer to them as Budgie and not Parakeet. There are two types of them, American and English. They are a very popular bird that are sometimes mass produced for pet stores. Here in lies part of the problem. Many people think of them as "starter birds" when in fact they are parrots that have the same needs as the larger birds. Budgies are quite often purchased for a young persons "pet" by the human parents. Thus the responsibility for the care and nuturing of this bird is put on the young person when it should continue to be the human parents overseeing the care. When a budgie is purchased in a pet store the inadquate cages and food are also sold there. So the humans go home with a bird, cage, toys (usually made in China and unsafe) and food knowing very little and the care and housing needs. This is a receipe for an uhappy, unsocialized and unhealthy budgie.

In my opinion a budgie is not a feathered play toy for a young person. This unfortunate bird often ends up ill and the human parents do not want to spend any money for vet care, "its just a parakeet". This unfortunate bird may also end up in the mouth of a predator such as a dog or cat or be on the receiving end of an injury due to an enviroment that has not been made bird safe. Worse yet may fly out the window or open door. The inexperienced owner will think its fun to have more budgies so breeding becomes a "thing to do".

I have spent many hours thinking about these issues. The best way to help stop the bad wrap budgies are receiving is to not sell them in a chain pet store and I know this will not happen so the answer may lie in the education of the parents of the young person. Just how we can do this may be through social media and bird forums. Of course there is the problem of an impulse purchase of the budgie or other species when one is in a chain pet store.

Often I read about a budgie death from not having adequate vet care, avoidable accidents including attacks by a predator, malnutrition from improper diet, efforts to breed them by an inexperienced human and a general lack of a healthy, enriching environment. It makes me very sad.

Your comments are welcome.

taxidermynerd

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Bee (they/he)
Well said. As a young person (a minor), I like to think I care for Chirp well (lots of toys, healthy diet, big cage, etc) but I also know my own experiences. It was a battle to convince my dad we needed to have a vet for him, and when Chirp had his first appointment (4 days after I got him) he thought I was being ridiculous. He asked the vet of it was normal to take a small bird to the vet, and she responded saying that they actually had a finch on oxygen in back.

As far as care goes, I do it all myself. If I don't get him his food, he doesn't eat. I'm the only one who lets him out, and never in a million years would he clean up bird poop.

There are certainly exceptions, but I think if you're a young person looking to get a bird, regardless of whether it's a parakeet or a macaw, you better be darn sure you want them 1 year, 5 years, 10 years down the line. Be ready to spend a lot of time with your bird. I have the privilege of being homeschooled, so I can spend all day with Chirp.

Having a bird is the most rewarding choice I've ever made. But before you make that choice, think long and hard about it.

Sweet Louise

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Pat
Excellent comments. I wish pet stores would listen, the chain stores just won't. My (way) older brother had a budgie when were growing up-almost 50 years ago. The bird lived less than a year and did not have a good life. He convinced my sister and I that the bird hated us to keep us away from the bird and out of his room. That bird prob had very little company and an all seed diet. We had no business having such a living being in our home. I asked him a bit ago and he can't remember what happened to the bird, what it's name was.... That bird made it over the rainbow bridge but it won't be waiting for my family, it hopefully picked a new, competent family. I think about getting a budgie for my home and to keep Louise company, but I don't know if it would be of any comfort to her. I find those birds beautiful and I love their (and cockatiels) songs. Please keep up the education of others!

Jas

Real Name
Jasmine
It's sad to see the mind set of most people. They are small, inexpensive and 'easy' to breed, therefore people just impulse purchase them not knowing how costly they are in the long run. Or wonder about the implications on the birds wellbeing.

They are a life with their own thoughts, feelings and emotions! Why can't people respect that?

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Yesyesyes! It’s more cockatiels and lovebirds in my country, there are lots of budgies too, but I see them less in most pet stores. Today I went to the pet store I always go to, because it is the best one around here, and it breaks my heart a little. I try not to buy anything there, only bought something there once but my grandfather gets his aquarium filters there. They have an U2 there that doesn’t get the proper care and is very sexually stimulated, they have lots of bunnies and guinea pigs and then those poor unhealthy birds on dowels behind glass with nothing to hide behind. Today someone bought two birds, I think lovebirds for her kid, the people in the store ‘educated’ her. They got a cage which I wouldn’t even put one lovebird in, and they were going on about ‘o it’s so big, o you couldn’t possibly make a better choice, it’s so big, our birds live very luxeruous lives”, and they got two toys and the store gave them several dowel perches. My heart itched so much, I almost walked up to really educate them.
I am not a minor anymore, 18, but still young. I know having birds at this age Will make certain things more difficult, but I am all in for that. My birds are my best friends and there is no way I am going to give them up, I Will find a way to give them happy lives.
I hate it that so Many little birds are seem as ‘starter birds’, or machines and not emotional beings, and live horrible lives. If I can get Fëanor and/or Henkie to finally wear their harness, I think i am going to walk around in semi busy areas(if they enjoy it of course), and try to educate people about them. If I can prevent one bird of living a life in misery it is worth it.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
You are spot on with all your comments.

As you said, EDUCATION is the key, with young people, in particular. We all must strive to further that cause...every day.

Budgiebonkers

aka Pandapaws23
Avenue Veteran
I personally think no child should have a pet not even a goldfish because goldfish can live a long time to I got my first budgie when I was 14 I saved up my money and bought one and a cage granted the cage was tiny but I saved up money to enlarge it as much as I could also had it out of the cage allot but was clipped I actually still have my first cage still as a travel cage as its that small lol ever since then Ive had budgies now mine live in flights and are not clipped as if one escapes at least it has a chance to get away from preditors even though Ive lost a few I have always been able to get them back with the help of the rest of the flock I had a young chick escape last year but was barely weaned and wanted her daddy to feed her she stayed in the area and I caught her the next day but I cant imagine all the poor budgies that are lost because oops the kid left the door of the cage open or oops the bird opened the door and flew out

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
Every comment warms my heart. If you happen to be in a pet store and you see a family buying a bird for a child please do speak up. You have experience to share with them. People still think birds only eat seed and stay in a tiny cage.

Parakeet88

Jogging around the block
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
That's exactly how my first couple of budgies were treated and it's only because we didn't know any better. I was in high school when I started to get really interested in birds. We saw some finches at a pet store and my mom really liked them, so my dad went back and got a pair for her. I loved them even though they were "only finches". The finches were what got me interested in birds. I eventually got my parents to agree on getting a parakeet. We went and picked one out from petsmart. He had a good sized cage but was only eating seed. I knew veggies should be part of their diet but I had no idea how important it was and I could never get my budgie to go near a vegetable. I had no luck with taming him so we went and got a second parakeet, no quarantine, we just popped them right in the same cage together. Luckily they did get along but I now know what could have happened. We never even talked about bringing them to a vet should they get sick. We thought of them like hamsters and basically treated them like all the hamsters I had as a kid. Don't get me wrong, we took care of all our animals to the best of our ability and knowledge but we just didn't know. They had plenty of toys, clean cages, and I tried to interact with them as best I could even if that just meant making them happy by spraying them with water so they could run around and lick the drops off all their toys.

One eventually died and I held off with getting another. The one that was left was the braver, more out going one, I thought maybe I could tame her without the distraction of another bird. I eventually brought her to my new apartment. This was my first apartment, my first time living on my own and it was so comforting to have her here, even though she wasn't tame. I loved listening to her chirp and we would watch spongebob together (she loved the theme song). She gave me something to look forward to coming back to after visiting my parents. I would be excited to get back to my apartment to see her. One day I noticed she had poop smeared around her vent area and I knew that wasn't a good sign. I honestly thought I wouldn't have enough time to do anything. My other keet was hardly even visibly sick when he just died. I did my best to make her comfortable and thought she would be gone by morning but she was still here. This went on for a couple of days before I couldn't take it anymore. I hated to see her sick and not doing anything about it. I did a quick google search to see what my vet options were and I only found one nearby. I took her in that day and the next afternoon I got a call that she had passed during the night. I still don't know what happened to her. I initially thought she could be egg bound but the vet didn't think that was it.

I had to really consider if I wanted another bird or not. I knew I had a lot to learn and I didn't want my new bird to suffer like I realized my others did. I hated the silence, I needed the chirp of a bird. I really wanted to try taming so I started looking for hand raised parakeets. The only breeder I found was in Virginia. I was hoping for a blue colored keet but she only had green, and not many left at the time. She sent me a picture of one that was ready to go and I paid for him that afternoon. I was excited and terrified, waiting for a call from the post office that he was here. I wanted this little bird to have only the best. I worked for months getting him to eat pellets and fresh foods. I must admit he's still not tame but he has a huge cage and a parakeet friend with him. I still have hopes of taming him, he does step up but not consistently. I'm so glad I impulsively bought him even though he wasn't the blue color I originally wanted. He started talking a couple of months after I got him and his little voice is literally my favorite sound ever. I feel so lucky to have gotten such a smart, talented little bird. Had I waited for a blue one he might not have learned to talk. Now I didn't buy him for the purpose of getting him to talk, I felt like the chances of him learning to talk were slim. I knew the potential was there but I didn't expect anything and I was (and still am) so shocked when I first heard him talk.

So here's the point of all this. Sometimes you need to make mistakes to get better and to learn. I learned so much from losing that parakeet. I think that one hit me particularly hard because she was my first pet that I took care of on my own. She wasn't a family pet, she was mine and I literally looked forward to getting out of work or coming home from my parents to see her. To not have her to look forward to really hit me. I knew if I got another bird I had to do better. I have 5 birds now and they come before everything else. One of my favorite parts of the day is giving them their chop for breakfast and watching them lose their little minds of excitement. All those months payed off and now they not only eat their veggies but they are excited about it! I feel like I can only repay and respect my previous parakeets by doing better for any future birds I may care for.

AkasyaEllric

Jogging around the block
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Morgan
I totally agree. When I use to work at PetSmart the amount of people that were surprised when I said that "parakeets" are in fact "real" parrots. I denied sales constantly because people wanted what were basically travel cages for them or didn't want to do adequate care. I think the responsibility is on the potential new home, BUT, it also should be on the store itself. Anyone who works with animals should be educated to the best of their ability on those animals. They don't train you well enough in chain stores, at all, mostly because why bother, most people quit before they have time to learn every single species of reptile, small animal, bird and fish. It was always heartwarming when a family came in that did know what proper care was, or, people who were ready and willing to learn and would buy everything top to bottom that they need for a happy healthy life.

JLcribber

@cockatoojohn
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
John
The pet industry is an endless vicious cycle that won't be broken in my time. Sadly. I feel the same as you especially because we seem to see a lot this here.

so the answer may lie in the education of the parents of the young person. Just how we can do this may be through social media and bird forums

Education is the answer. The problem with this is that it's not parents that come here to get sound advice, heads up and the reality of what they are about to do (hopefully before they do it). It's the kids who have no power or control.

Lady Jane

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Dianne
@AkasyaEllric I was at Petco for a while promoting Purina food and spent time with the birds. One person that worked part time taking care of the birds really knew birds well and also denied some sales. Anyone one of us here can educate people about birds if the opportunity presents itself. And we do! As John says the humans that need avian education are not here. Maybe we can have a forum for "Looking for a bird" people.

Ankou

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
Real Name
Sondra
I've never understood the lack of desire for people to inform themselves, like they are just so sure they know or just don't care.
Their attitude hurts and is very frustrating but I have been trying to be more tactful when I can. I don't care how people treated their birds in the past as long as they make changes. Sadly most people will never be informed and all I can hope for is they will not get any more birds when their current ones die young or are rehomed.
When I was younger I used to think "surely when you don't understand something you educate yourself?" That should not be a naive idea but alas...

I was 12 when I decided I wanted a lovebird, they were so cute and... that was basically it. I knew enough to know I didn't know crap, I spent the next year reading everything I could find. Even though most of the books were from the 80s and 90s mixed in what I could find on the fledgling internet of '99-2000 it was a good start. Almost 18 years and I've never stopped learning and trying to make Peanut's life better. My biggest regret is only getting one bird and not realizing how much she would really benefit from a friend until it was too late.

Actually it's funny, I always put birds in a class of their own well apart from dogs until last year. I'd raised 3 dogs of my own and been around many others... but nothing like Axel, my father's working line / show line mix German shepherd I raised for 7 months and watch on weekends. This dog is all drive, energy, intelligence, stubbornness, and an almost complete lack of impulse control.
14 years I had my own dogs and it wasn't until Axel I started jumbling up "Good bird/dog!," telling Peanut to "Bark!" instead of "Yelling!" and Axel to "Up up!" instead of "Come."
They are very alike in many ways, Axel is smarter but Peanut gets bored just as fast and when she was younger she slept even less than he does. The main difference aside from scale: I can bribe Axel with treats and he has never deliberately tried to harm us, Peanut will usually just glare at me then nip because I'm touching her food. One, as crazy as he is, is domesticated.

So if there was one thing I could tell anyone who wanted to get a "Starter bird" it would be that.
"Would you get your 8 year old a miniature German shepherd? No? Well why not, they are friendlier and easier to train than a parrot!"

LilSprout

Jogging around the block
Real Name
Phil
This is the attitude that lead to my grandmother abusing Kamara so badly for so many years by having her live in a tiny travel cage for so many years because she went out and bought 2 other birds and she tried to nibble at their toes (as lovebirds do, she shouldn't have brought any non lovebird birds into her home) plus she doesn't liks birds flying around like they should be doing

Shinobi

Jogging around the block
There is only one species of Budgerigar, which is a native bird of Australia. It was not until 1840 that the first pair was brought to England from Australia, by English bird enthusiast and artist John Gould. The budgerigar wasn't bred in captivity until the 1850s. English and American budgerigars, are at best are a subspecies and Australian budgerigars are the original species. The English budgerigar have been bred as show birds for many generations. while the American Budgerigar was bred for pet stores.

The names English and American budgerigars came about because the exhibition budgerigars breeders in England were far ahead of other countries, they were being exported all around the world. So people were able to get show budgie from England, and called them English budgies, to distinguish them from locally bred ones.
As the name English budgie became more common people started calling the pet type bird an American budgie. Again, it is really just a way of saying the budgie is not a show quality bird rather than it actually being a different species or type. But the English and American budgerigars were selectively bred from the Australian budgerigar.

budgerigar - Australia's international bird.

The word, "Parakeet" is a term used to describe a group of birds number several dozen that are small in size and have long tail feathers and slender bodies. Other parrots referred to as parakeet are the mustache parakeet, the grass parakeet, the Monk parakeet also known as the Quaker Parrot, as well as the Indian, African and alexandrine Ring-necked Parakeet. All of these birds are indeed parrots and they all have long tail feathers.

The budgerigar's scientific name is Melopsittacus undulatus. Melopsittacus is Greek for ‘melodious parrot’ and undulatus is Latin for 'undulated', referring to their scalloped wing patterns.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
There is only one species of Budgerigar, which is a native bird of Australia. It was not until 1840 that the first pair was brought to England from Australia, by English bird enthusiast and artist John Gould. The budgerigar wasn't bred in captivity until the 1850s. English and American budgerigars, are at best are a subspecies and Australian budgerigars are the original species. The English budgerigar have been bred as show birds for many generations. while the American Budgerigar was bred for pet stores.

The names English and American budgerigars came about because the exhibition budgerigars breeders in England were far ahead of other countries, they were being exported all around the world. So people were able to get show budgie from England, and called them English budgies, to distinguish them from locally bred ones.
As the name English budgie became more common people started calling the pet type bird an American budgie. Again, it is really just a way of saying the budgie is not a show quality bird rather than it actually being a different species or type. But the English and American budgerigars were selectively bred from the Australian budgerigar.

budgerigar - Australia's international bird.

The word, "Parakeet" is a term used to describe a group of birds number several dozen that are small in size and have long tail feathers and slender bodies. Other parrots referred to as parakeet are the mustache parakeet, the grass parakeet, the Monk parakeet also known as the Quaker Parrot, as well as the Indian, African and alexandrine Ring-necked Parakeet. All of these birds are indeed parrots and they all have long tail feathers.

The budgerigar's scientific name is Melopsittacus undulatus. Melopsittacus is Greek for ‘melodious parrot’ and undulatus is Latin for 'undulated', referring to their scalloped wing patterns.
Thanks for posting this!

CrazyBirdChick

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Real Name
Diane
Everyone had good responses. The only thing I could add is that I wish budgies were more expensive.

Every time I go to a pet store and see that they only cost like $20 or $22 it just makes me so sad because I know alot of people would impulse buy them just because of that.

They should cost atleast $100. It might not deter alot of people but it may help deter some.

TikiMyn

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Robin
Everyone had good responses. The only thing I could add is that I wish budgies were more expensive.

Every time I go to a pet store and see that they only cost like $20 or $22 it just makes me so sad because I know alot of people would impulse buy them just because of that.

They should cost atleast $100. It might not deter alot of people but it may help deter some.
Totally agreed! You can get a lovebird for €20, budgies €10 sometimes. In Some stores €50 thoigh. But on the internet you can find hundreds for budgies for €5, rehomed ones with cages for €10. Baby cockatiels that still need handfeeding are anywhere between €5-30. It would stop people if only the bird would cost at least €100.