• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A bittersweet day :(

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
First of all...Welcome to the Avenue, Coco! :)

What a surprising- and happy- turn of events!

I really can't offer any advice here...you have it all under control..well, as much control as you can have with two birds. ;)

What I can offer is positive thoughts and wishes for continuing harmony for all of you...:)

melissasparrots

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
You might want to experiment with keeping the amazon in the smaller cage for a few weeks. Some older amazons were kept in 20 inch by 20 inch cages for years because that was the standard size. Now, when people think they are doing the right thing by putting the bird in a bigger cage, they are overwhelmed and scared. Maybe Luka just didn't like the bigger cage. I would certainly capitalize on whatever is happening now in order to rebuild a relationship with Luka. African greys aren't really known for breaking former bonds in order to pair with a bird. I'm sure some will, but I think its more likely the amazon will do that. Probably not either though. Having another parrot to compete with and show off to might be enough to distract Luka from her fears and give you something to work with to socialize with her.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Luka has been in the smaller cage ever since almost 2 years ago when i learned she was not happy in such a large cage :) that said, they now spend the day together in the big cage when im at home, and i hope they will be housed there together eventually :)

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm fainting of happiness here. :faint:
All the time I was hoping that you would change your mind, but to be honest, I never could dream of this scenario. :bliss:
But I did respect your choice, beacuse I knew that you love Luka very much.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
I too so hope this is whats needed! At one side it just doesnt feel right “getting rid” of an animal, i always say you take an animal in, you take it in for life! But at the same time.. having an animal thats so smart, it does hurt to see its unhappyness!

As we speak Coco is truing to get Luka to scritch her head... they are within mere inches of eachother while i hold my breath :)

sunnysmom

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Michelle
I hope things continue to go well!

SherLar

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Sherri and Larry
First I am so very excited with this possible prospect!! And yes, we have had birds that were not comfortable in larger cages and overwhelmed, but if you try to tell some people that, you may find a bit of judgement and denial, that bigger is always better. I say MOST of the time it is.

I sure hope this is an answer to everything, and I doubt anyone here ever thought you were just giving up, I believe everyone believes you have weighed everything, tried everything, and were doing the very best you could for your Luka. You were in no way being selfish. Quite the opposite.

I am actually quite giddy reading this! Who knew?!
sherri

Nikomania

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Luka and you didn't know it, but you both needed Coco in your lives. This makes me so very happy to hear!

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Fingers crossed! I hope Coco continues to bring Luka out of herself!

You may want to get a HEPA filter. Greys produce dust which could upset an Amazon's respiratory system.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Oh no! I must look into it then :) they sit in a big cage with the door open most of the day though :) should i be extremely worried??

Rain Bow

Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I was so heart broken for you when I began this thread tonight. I remember reading posts when I first joined about you getting Luka. I personally know what a sacrifice you were making for Luka's well-being, as I went thru this for a fur baby many years ago. My husband & I believe that when an animal comes in they stay, & in her case giving her up was more humane than keeping her. She only went to live w/ my Mother-in-law, but I had a hard time even visiting her, as I'd get so sad.

I pray all works out. :heart: our Honeywell air cleaner, they'd just noisy. You want hepa only. No ionic etc...

Please keep us updated!
:bighug:

Leanna

Walking the driveway
Real Name
Leanna B
You would be shocked at how many animals I've seen this in. Growing up my family used to rescue animals and rehab them. We called it vouching, as in we needed another animal to let this one know we were cool. This was one of our go to things for any animal but it was especially effective in social ones.

Dogs that wouldn't eat in front of people? Bring out the dog that has no problems to show her how we would react her doing the same. Honestly even if they had no direct interaction with the other dog, the change was usually remarkable.

It worked on birds too. For awhile, we were feeding a pair of baby birds and a new much younger one of a different species was brought to us at the same time. The younger one would not eat and we were certain he was going to die. Then to our utter shock the one of older baby birds who hadn't taken the syringe for over a week, hopped over and showed him how it was done, making exaggerated noises and everything. Just the sound of another bird feeding was all it took to stimulate him. To this day, I swear the older bird only did that to show him how it was done as he never took the syringe again and was released days later.

Dartman

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
TAILGATING
Cutest Bird Ever!!!
Real Name
Terry
Nerd bird lived happily in a 19x19 cage his whole life, but he was free ranging when we were home. When I got Lurch he lived in Nerds old tiny cage and quickly claimed it as his own, including being very cage aggressive. When I finally got him a much bigger nicer cage he loved it but would go over to his old cage I hadn't stored away yet just to hang out with his old friend.