• Welcome to Avian Avenue! To view our forum with less advertisments please register with us.
    Memberships are free and it will just take a moment. Click here

A bittersweet day :(

jh81

Rollerblading along the road
Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
but, after long consideration, talking with other parrot owners, etc. i have decided to give Luka up to a bird sanctuary.

While she can be very sweet, most of the time she just screams and shivers when you come close. I do not think she will ever be happy in a home with humans, and as such i have chosen and talked to a bird sanctuary who have a few more “troubled parrots”. She will be placed in a nice large aviary with freedom to fly and, so i hope, learn to be a parrot, with toys and lots of parrot behavior.

I did not take this descicion lightly, and i have opted not to put her on gregslist because i want her life to be better, not the same or heaven forbid, be worse. It truely is a bittersweet day, when i took her in 3 years ago i did not envision this end. But rather then letting her sit in her cage all day doing nothing but sitting and eating, i truely think she can become a real parrot still with some help from fellow parrots.

hrafn

Avenue Veteran
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm so sorry that you had to make such a difficult decision!
Luka will be able to fly high and mingle with her own kind now, which in her case sounds like the best possible choice. Thank you so much for putting her needs first, and so selflessly looking out for her well-being. All the best to you both!

webchirp

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Chandra
It's really hard to make the best choices sometimes for them and you. :hug8:

Hankmacaw

Ripping up the road
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Mary Lynn Skinner
I'm so sorry that it didn't work out better for you and Luka. I think you have made the best choice for Luka. I volunteered at a sanctuary that takes only the worst of the worst damaged parrots. There are those who cannot be redeemed and many won't believe that until they see a sanctuary. There are lots of the parrots that would never be a pet who live out their lives happily in a sanctuary.

tka

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
I'm sorry that things haven't worked out between you and Luka. You've made a brave and compassionate decision that will allow her to lead a full and happy life.

Keeping her off craigslist was a really good decision on your part. I can picture her bouncing between homes because she's not comfortable interacting with humans, and getting more and more stressed and unhappy. Thank you for not putting her through that.

cassiesdad

Ripping up the road
Weather Authority
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avian Angel
Real Name
Bob Weisman
I'm sorry that things haven't worked out between you and Luka. You've made a brave and compassionate decision that will allow her to lead a full and happy life.
...well said.

BeanieofJustice

Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Real Name
Steph
Couldn't say it better than Tka did.
Thank you for putting Luka's needs first, that is amazing and admirable. Hopefully her new feathered friends will be able to help her.

Begone

Joyriding the Neighborhood
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Avenue Spotlight Award
Shutterbugs' Best
I'm so sorry Jan! I do know that this sacrifice has a price. :bighug:
But when we do things that is unselfish because we love them so mush so their needs comes first, that heartache also tells us that we was worthy having them in our life.
I think you in some how should be proud of yourself for letting her go because you think her life will be better.

I wish you all the luck Luka! ♥♥♥

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Thanks everyone for these heart warming reactions!

I still have a few days with Luka, and although things didnt go as planned, i do love Luka very much, which is why i dont want to see her moving from home to home :) luckily i still have my two little Senegal dragons. I am planning for a large outdoor aviary for summertime, so there is still feathered love in my house :)

I might go for a CAG, as i really dont think i can live without a parrot noe that ive seen all the wonders :) but i’ll have to do a lot of thinking about that :)

fashionfobie

Biking along the boulevard
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Real Name
Natalie
Sometimes the kindest thing we can do is setting our pride aside and doing what is best for the bird. I am sorry you had to make such a difficult choice.

Good luck becoming a parrot Luka!

:hug8:

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
What a beautiful thing you are doing for Luka. If she cannot feel comfortable around people, forcing her to live that way amounts to abuse. You are setting her free to live and be happy for what she is. An intelligent being that needs consideration for her feelings and needs. You must be an amazing person to be able to put her needs above your wants. I salute you.

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
You've gotten to know her over the past few years and despite the good moments you see that she isn't always her happiest with humans. You have taken the time to understand her and you are giving her a chance to live her best life. :heart2:

Keeping her off craigslist was a really good decision on your part. I can picture her bouncing between homes because she's not comfortable interacting with humans, and getting more and more stressed and unhappy. Thank you for not putting her through that.
Exactly! They're is no home better for her than yours, but you listened to her telling you that she does not want to live in a home. :)

Will you be able to visit or get updates on her as she settles in?

Last edited:

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Okay...

So, first of all, thanks everyone for the kind words! Its very hard to explain this to non parrot owners, everyone seems to think i want to get rid of Luka because she isnt tame, but that is absolutely not the case :(

Having that said.. there have been some developments that have forced me to reconsider giving Luka away..

After i posted this, i was on the phone with a friend when the topic came up. I explained my reasoning and that i might go looking for a CAG instead. He happened to know a CAG that needed a good home because the owner had to go to an elderly home and parrots where not allowed. Long story short, Friday evening i had a CAG, including papers and vet documents. Coco is 10 years old, as healthy as a parrot can be, tested for all diseases etc. etc. Coco is a very socialized CAG, almost immediately stepping up to me, wanted scritches and kisses etc.

Anyways, because i decided to give Luka up i did not buy a new cage, but rather place Coco in the smaller cage for the remaining two days.

Low and behold, the change in Luka was almost instantly. There’s almost nonstop chatter going on, and both of them where clinging to the cage wondering who the other is. I took the plunge and placed them both on my couch, knowing full well the damage they can do to eachother, so i had half the city on hot standby in case war broke out!

Well... not so much! Although there is a distance between them, they do seem to keep close to eachother and enjoy the company. Luka even steps up my hand without me having to wrap my arms in towels etc because Luka is scared of hands. She even steps up for a friend of mine, while i always thought she was a one person bird!!

Ofcourse i understand this might only be temporary, and carefull watching is required. Still, i was impressed with the 360 turn arround. Enough so to contact the sanctuary, explain the situation, and we agreed to see what happens the next month. So i REALLY, REEEEAAAALLLLYYYY could use this great forum’s expertise in this going forward. I never wanted to give Luka away because i was fed up and anything. And maybe i’m grasping straws here, but i will take anything i can to keep Luka with me, as i know she (both are not yet sexed, might do this now soon) can be absolutely lovely!

Attachments

Anita1250

Walking the driveway
If the two birds can become friends, that may give Luka a reason to be happy. Be aware, however, that they both may become " bird" birds, rather than people birds. Sometimes, when more than one parrot get together, they become less interested in interaction with people due to the presence of another bird. In that way, you may lose the companionship of both of them as they forge a relationship with each other rather than with you.

jh81

Avenue Veteran
Real Name
Jan
Thank you, yes i am aware of that. I also read that this may never become a “problem” at all, and this i am placing my bets on :) if they do like eachother more then me, then i will simply have to build a large outdoor aviary where they can spend their days in space :) I just want Luka to be a happy parrot, and if thats the trade i have to make then so be it :) but i am interacting with them lots during the day, so i hope they will not loose my friendship ;-)

faislaq

I have macaws and don't post enough pictures
Avenue Veteran
Celebirdy of the Month
Mayor of the Avenue
Avenue Spotlight Award
Avenue Concierge
Real Name
Karen
:shocking:No way!!! :bliss:Oh I hope they become the best of friends. :loveshower: Sounds like you may need another cage. :D

Our green cheek Pistachio loved people, our other green cheek Scott not so much. But they became very close & while Scott was more of a "bird" bird, he became braver and more adventurous by following the "people" bird around. I think @Lincee would be happy no matter what as long as Luka was happy. :xflove:

Last edited: